Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU releases Scott Christopherson, Nick Williams  (Read 7939 times)

ToddRosiakSays

MU releases Scott Christopherson, Nick Williams

Written by: Todd Rosiak

The re-shaping of the Marquette Golden Eagles under new coach Buzz Williams commenced on Thursday, as the school released freshman guard Scott Christopherson from his scholarship and recruit Nick Williams from his national letter of intent.

Christopherson, a 6-foot-3 guard from La Crosse Aquinas, requested the release. He played in 18 games and averaged 1.3 points.

"I want to go somewhere where I'll be happy," said Christopherson. "I had a great year here, and made some friends for life. It was definitely a great experience. Obviously the situation, I don't think anybody saw it coming. So it was hard."

Christopherson's transfer leaves Williams with nine scholarship players at this point. 

"Scott may be one of the finest human beings I've had the opportunity to know," Williams said. "There's absolutely no animosity between me or him, and we wish him nothing but the best. His parents have been great. He just felt like it was an opportunity to start anew elsewhere."

Williams, meanwhile, is the only one of MU's incoming four-player class to be released to this point.

"The deal with Nick, that's been in place," Williams said. "He had committed prior to me coming here. He's a great player, a great kid, comes from a great basketball program. He will be great wherever it is that he ends up going, but those relationships have been in place, and I would never do anything to harm those.

"We wish him the best."

Williams' release was unconditional, meaning he is now free to sign with any school he so chooses.

The status of Tyshawn Taylor, Joseph Fulce and Chris Otule, meanwhile, is yet to be determined. Williams will leave early Friday morning for a trip to Jersey City, N.J. to meet with Taylor and his coach at St. Anthony High School, Bob Hurley.

"I don't know anything definitively on each player," said Williams. "I can tell you that I've been in touch with each player on several occasions, their parents, their coaches. The recruiting period opened today, and so that's my first priority, to make sure I go see those guys.

"I don't know how it'll all play out. But within the conversations that I've had thus far, everything has gone well. But again, because of the change that's transpired, you've got to make sure that you cover each aspect of it."

Also, guard David Cubillan underwent arthroscopic surgery Wednesday to repair the joint capsule in his right shoulder. Cubillan was bothered by the shoulder for much of last season.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/10/mu-releases-scott-christopherson-nick-williams.aspx

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU releases Scott Christopherson, Nick Williams
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »
I'll be interested to see where Christopherson lands. Well before any of this Crean stuff happened, I thought this was possible, if not likely. He just didn't appear to be a Big East caliber player. I wish him luck.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »
A team that struggles with jump shooting just lost their best jump shooter.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:08:11 PM »

Also, guard David Cubillan underwent arthroscopic surgery Wednesday to repair the joint capsule in his right shoulder. Cubillan was bothered by the shoulder for much of last season.

Throw away line, but it probably explains much of the bad play down the stretch this year.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »
I wonder why you release Nick Williams on the eve of Buzz meeting with Tyshawn. Doesn't that plant the seed that he's ultimately free to go? Maybe it works in our favor, but I'm not so sure.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »

Maybe, but he was a jump shooter that couldn't get on the floor, because that's all he could do.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:09:31 PM »
I wonder why you release Nick Williams on the eve of Buzz meeting with Tyshawn. Doesn't that plant the seed that he's ultimately free to go? Maybe it works in our favor, but I'm not so sure.

"The deal with Nick, that's been in place," Williams said. "He had committed prior to me coming here. He's a great player, a great kid, comes from a great basketball program. He will be great wherever it is that he ends up going, but those relationships have been in place, and I would never do anything to harm those.
But I like to throw handfuls...

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »

I think it allows him to tell TT that there will be 2 less guards to be competing with for time.  Like somebody said, that interview with TT was a salesman's dream

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »
My prediction is that we have seen 2 of 4, with Mbwake and Taylor being the next two.  

Not sure how the administration defined continuity, but this doesn't seem to fit my definition.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:16:54 PM »
Taylor wants playing time and his comments of six guards onboard, just went down to four. More PT and can't use that excuse in meeting with Buzz.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 07:17:26 PM »

Maybe, but he was a jump shooter that couldn't get on the floor, because that's all he could do.

The only thing Novak could do was shoot... shoot off a screen to be more exact (played with him for 4 years, I know his ability), but he still somehow found the floor.

Sucks to see him go, was looking forward to seeing him more. The only reason he didn't see playing time is because that team was loaded with Guards... surprise surprise (James, McNeal, Matthews, Cubillan, Acker.. not much left for the Frosh). I'm sure clearing 2 guards from the team will encourage TT to come to MU. Also given McNeal and James aren't "officially" coming back either.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »

The only thing Novak could do was shoot... shoot off a screen to be more exact (played with him for 4 years, I know his ability), but he still somehow found the floor.

Sucks to see him go, was looking forward to seeing him more. The only reason he didn't see playing time is because that team was loaded with Guards... surprise surprise (James, McNeal, Matthews, Cubillan, Acker.. not much left for the Frosh). I'm sure clearing 2 guards from the team will encourage TT to come to MU. Also given McNeal and James aren't "officially" coming back either.

Difference is Novak had a great release and good enough size and speed to work off screens.  SC's shot is glacially slow, and he just isn't fast enough to get any separation on a screen. 

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »
Some intramural team will be missing a starter.  Short of one shot against Cinci the kid was useless.  Not saying he was a bad kid, but he was not BE material.  Don't argue he was, he'll be awesome @ Wash U in St. Louis.  He has DIII written all over him.

Williams is a bummer.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »

Yeah, OK..First of all, apparently you missed any of the MU games when Christopherson actually got in. There's a reason he never got in. He couldn't play. Second, you must have been watching a different Steve Novak. If you'd like to take another look, you can see him these days playing for the Houston Rockets. Check your local listings. Is Christopherson 6-10?

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »
Taylor wants playing time and his comments of six guards onboard, just went down to four. More PT and can't use that excuse in meeting with Buzz.

Probably better for all parties involved that SC was given his release.  I have no doubt the knee injury impacted him this past year, but I wouldn't be surprised if his confidence was shaken by Crean just as much.  I think he'll have a good career at an MVC or Horizon League program, and all the best for him. 

Granted, even with NW and SC out of the way, we still have 5 guards in our rotation, so long as James and McNeal come back (which I'm fairly confident they will).  Still, I think Tyshawn will get major minutes next year, considering the size he brings to the floor over Cooby and Acker.  And he would have a definite inside track on a starting slot his sophomore year.  Hopefully Buzz can commuicate that over to him tommorrow.

Hate to say it, but I think Patrick Hazel is the next to go.
The General has taken on a new command.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 07:27:44 PM »
I would rather we told Williams not to go to Indiana because that's probably option #1 for him now.  But I see the thinking in releasing him now since Buzz played no part in his recruiting.

I agree that Christopherson wasn't Big East material.  Did anyone remember him getting completely owned by Florida-Gulf Coast players when he was trying to bring the ball up?  I've never seen anyone look so overmatched and couldn't imagine what he would do if he had to bring the ball up the floor against a Big East team.

After months of talking about our scholarship problem, we're already one under the scholarship limit.  Hopefully Buzz can find us a player, or with the way it's looking two or three players.  No sense of banking a scholarship when four more open up next year, we're going to need players.  At this point I'd imagine getting at least one transfer or juco wouldn't be a bad idea.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »
Now Buzz really, really needs a shooting guard for 2009.  I hope that Maurice Creek, one of the best shooting guards in 2009, and who lists MU high on his list, is contacted  and knows. If this attrition continues, the 2009 class is getting more important each day.  Maybe Buzz can use his charm on Taylor's teamate, Dominic Cheek, the best shooting guard in 2009.  

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »

Yeah, OK..First of all, apparently you missed any of the MU games when Christopherson actually got in. There's a reason he never got in. He couldn't play. Second, you must have been watching a different Steve Novak. If you'd like to take another look, you can see him these days playing for the Houston Rockets. Check your local listings. Is Christopherson 6-10?

You said "all he can do is shoot." I was merely pointing out that that was all Novak could do as well yet he found the floor enough. He's in the NBA, yes, so what, he can only shoot 3s for Houston as well

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
Christopherson will end up going to either Iowa or Iowa State, you can quote me on that.  Sorry I can't reveal my sources, but I know this for a fact.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »

You said "all he can do is shoot." I was merely pointing out that that was all Novak could do as well yet he found the floor enough. He's in the NBA, yes, so what, he can only shoot 3s for Houston as well

But that wasn't "all he could do" as is the case with Christopherson (and truthfully, we don't even know if he can do that.). At 6-10 he could rebound some, he could defend some, he developed an ability to score inside the 3-pt line as well. Those weren't his strengths necessarily, but there is absolutley no comparing the two, because the fact is Novak could do more than shoot.  

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »

I don't know how you can say then when he barely got a minute or two in a game. SC will end up at a mid level program and probably do ok..

groove

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 08:35:44 PM »
Christopherson lacked speed and quickness and had one of the slowest releases i've seen in awhile. The guy peaked his Junior year in High School.

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »
We are a TT and Trevor release away from being able to battle DePaul and S Florida for the cellar.  Thank goodness all of the teams make the BE tourney now.

wampum77

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 08:44:48 PM »
Unfortunately the article makes it sound like SC left because crean did when in fact Scott really was a candidate to leave anyway just on the basis of not being able to fit in.  Buzz should have made that clear, as it is it makes Buzz look bad when in fact it was not his doing but crean's poor judgement of talent.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 09:46:50 PM »
So, so far, for those of us keeping score, we were one scholie over, now two rescinded, so we have one to give now, correct?  So far I mean.

feedback