[Today at 12:47:11 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Any word on Buzz's assistants?  (Read 1982 times)

Norm

• All American
Any word on Buzz's assistants?
« on: April 10, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »
Anyone seen anything on Buzz's possible assistants?

All I've seen is from the Rivals site that mentions Scott Monarch, current asst coach at the JC that Fulce is at (and who was on Buzz's staff at UNO), Brian Wardle and Alvin Brooks, a first year assistant on Bradley who has experience in the JC coaching ranks. Brooks is 29, Wardle is around 28-29 and Monarch is 41. Brooks is from Texas, Monarch is a native of Kentucky and Wardle is from Illinois.

These are just rumored possibilities, keep in mind.

nyg

• All American
Re: Any word on Buzz's assistants?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 06:12:19 PM »
I hope they are rumors.  Can we please get a coach not involved from the state of Texas or the JUCO route.  Buzz needs an X and O's guy and another guy who knows the AAU program contacts, especially in the midwest and east coast. 

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »
Oh God, will Wardle please graduate in his mind and GO AWAY... that guy is the definition of a self..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:31:23 PM by mu_hilltopper »

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »
Wardle shouldn't even be considered - stupid idea.  He needs go accomplish something then maybe come back.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »
I hope they are rumors.  Can we please get a coach not involved from the state of Texas or the JUCO route.  Buzz needs an X and O's guy and another guy who knows the AAU program contacts, especially in the midwest and east coast. 

I disagree. We have seen what recruiting in the midwest has done for us... losses in the first round of the NCAA tourney and this year the 2nd round. Crean could never spread his wings out from outside of SE WI or the chicago area, IL.

This year's potential recruiting class is by far the best MU has seen under Crean, and it's thanks to Buzz Williams. And why is it so good? MU has dipped its finger into the Texas East Coast pools. I would love to see us establish some roots in TX (Buzz won't be able to recruit every single player). Buzz can recruit in the midwest on his own, but his assistants will need to travel all over- it would be nice for them to have some background in those states to bring in some players from around the country.

I would like him to get an X's and O's guy myself, and I agree, JUCO is not really the route I want to see them go either.... but TX, East Coast, the South... would be nice to have someone familiar with the programs down there and keep bringing these good recruiting classes in

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:32:12 PM »
The best class under Crean???? Because of Buzz????   Are you kidding me. Buzz hooked up JUCO Fulce and Otule, who is probably a project.  Asst Coach Seltzer hooked up Nick Williams and from all accounts published, Crean was called by Coach Hurley on Taylor.

Can you actually tell us that Crean's class of James, Matthews and McNeal is not as good as these four.  Thats insane.

Texas is nice and we have a great verbal in Eric Williams, but MU is a midwest city playing in the BIG EAST, not the Big12. Heck, I would love to have the California and Florida recruits, but you recruit close to home and where the conference plays,  Big East.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:43:19 PM »

Can you actually tell us that Crean's class of James, Matthews and McNeal is not as good as these four.  Thats insane.

NCAA Tournament games won by James/Matthews/McNeal in 3 seasons = 1

It can't be that hard to be better than that...

That was a great recruiting class, I was really pumped when I saw it back then, but what has it shown? James thinks he's better than he actually is. Yes, he is a hard worker and a great leader and has many other intangibles that he brings to the team... but he also brings an awful 3 point jump shot (which is why he may not be drafted until late second round, if at all), the tendency to drive the lane and throw up a prayer with 3-4 guys on him, among other things. He is good, but he's made up to be a god almost as much as Crean has around here. Bottom line on James is that he's disappointed and not lived up to his full hype coming in.

McNeal has finally developed into a very very good basketball player. He should leave for the draft, but I'm glad he's staying. I've seen better come through MU (excluding Wade), but he's the best player on that roster

Matthews has grossly disappointed. Yes, he has lived in the shadows of James and McNeal, but I thought he'd be the best of all 3 of these guys. He comes up when we need him, but it would be nice for him to bring that every game. I was actually looking forward to seeing him as "the man" next year if McNeal and James left- though I am glad signs are showing they are leaning towards staying. All Matthews has shown is that he's no better than Chapman when he was here

If Buzz can keep these recruits from leaving, they will definately be the best recruting class since Crean came. I measure success by wins, espessially tourney wins, and 1 tourney win in 3 years can't be too hard to beat...  ::)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:45:47 PM by D-Ro »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
If wins are what matters, and I don't necessarily disagree, then the best recruiting class was D. Wade...

The more and more I read the more I'm okay with Buzz.  If he recruits as well or better than Crean I don't believe he'll be a worse X's and O's coach.  Can't be a worse game time coach...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »
D-Ro, I really don't know what else to say. Maybe someone else will say it for me.  

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 06:53:59 PM »
If wins are what matters, and I don't necessarily disagree, then the best recruiting class was D. Wade...

The more and more I read the more I'm okay with Buzz.  If he recruits as well or better than Crean I don't believe he'll be a worse X's and O's coach.  Can't be a worse game time coach...

Touche. Outside of D-Wade... because as we all know, D-Wade took us to the Final Four, not Tom Crean. Tom Crean brought him in, but even a broken clock is right twice a day... evidenced by Crean's inability to produce only ONE tourney win since Wade. Seriously, national spot light for the school, one of the best guards in the NBA when healthy, and Crean can't get another 1st round NBA draft pick on the team!?

But I agree with what you've said

bma725

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
Other rumors include:

Alvin Brooks II.  The one mentioned above is Alvin Brooks III.  His father is also a candidate.  AB II used to be the head coach at Houston(93-98) and is another Gillespie guy, having worked for him at UTEP, A&M and Kentucky.

Bill Peterson, currently an assistant with the Bucks.  He was at Colorado State with Buzz, prior to that he was with the Dallas Mavericks, and also coached at McNeese State and Louisiana Tech back when Karl Malone was there.  He was a head coach at smaller schools like Alabama Huntsville and Union College.

Ray Harper, recently resigned as head coach of Oklahoma City College, Buzz's alma mater.  Prior to OKC, he was one of the best coaches in the lower levels of the NCAA.  His Kentucky Wesleyan teams played in six consecutive division 2 title games and won national championships twice.