Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Day Is Coming  (Read 2095 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
The Day Is Coming
« on: April 09, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »
I love that Marquette is in the Big East. For a basketball fan who went to Marquette, seeing schools like Syracuse and UConn on the schedule is cool. Beats seeing Southern Miss and Tulane.

After hearing about the coaching search, and the apparent cry from some potential candidates that finishing in the middle of the pack in the Big East consistently isn't appealing. It's understandable, and I think you'll see consistent coaching changes in the Big East because of it (see Providence this year, probably Seton Hall next year, DePaul the year after). Coaching changes are the norm in college basketball, and they happen in every conference every year. But with a 16 team conference with teams like Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, the pressure to perform at the rest of the Big East schools will be a turn off to most (as we at MU apparently just experienced).

The Big East as we currently know it is both a curse (see above) and a blessing (exposure, solid conference sked). I think the day is coming however when schools like Marquette have to question being in the Big East. It's not to say Marquette can't hang with the big schools, it's a matter of doing what is best for Marquette in the long term. I know it's been thrown out there before, but sometime in the far future (based on TV contracts I would assume), I'd love to see this conference formed...Catholic USA.

Marquette
DePaul
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
St. Johns
Georgetown
Villanova
Providence
Xavier
Dayton

If you wanted to go 12 teams, one could invite two out of these three: SLU, St. Joe's, Creighton

I would imagine a school like Georgetown would object to not playing it's traditional foes (UConn and Syracuse) any more. Outside of that, I would venture to guess that most schools would be on board with this. Still great exposure (see the tv markets involved), better chance at postseason berths (10 teams vs 16 teams) and everyone is competing on a similar level for recruits/coaches. This new conference would be interesting on the national scene. While not a Big 11, ACC type, on the basketball season, this would be a very deep conference year in and year out.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
Re: The Day Is Coming
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »
What about Ganzaga and SLU
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »
Very strong bkb schools. The FB schools would get hurt.

In the same vein, I will ALWAYS push for a Jesuit Education Scholarship Union Invitational Tournament with MU, Gtown, Gonzaga, SLU and other Jesuit schools.
SS Marquette

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
What about Ganzaga and SLU

Gonzaga is in Washington State, i dont think they would want to fly a minimum of 5 hours for every away game

Norm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »
I'd replace Dayton with Detroit. Xavier is already close to Dayton, OH, and it would be great to get exposure in a hoops hotbed like Detroit.

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »
Seems like an all-Jesuit tourney would be immensely marketable.  Also a great opportunity for these schools to meet on the court, since they are dispersed over wide range of conferences, most never have the chance to play each other. We'd have to have Santa Clara host it though... since they have the setting that could compete with Maui.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
I would love this.

Football-wise, I don't think any of these schools field a 1-A program. (Or whatever they call it now.) Notre Dame is the exception of course but they're independent.

For that tournament, I have heard suggestions of it before. MU and Georgetown could not participate in the same year. Not allowed for conference foes to meet in non-conference matchups in the regular season.

I would agree on Detroit instead of Dayton with a nod towards the bigger market. Likewise, I might take SLU over PC. Or just add SLU.