Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's say you're Tony Bennett . . .  (Read 4493 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Let's say you're Tony Bennett . . .
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »
. .  . and you're checking out MU to decide if you want to open up that Brink's Truck that just rolled up to your door.

First, you see that MU fans complain year round about the non-conference schedule despite what seems (to you) to be a respectible rank of 98th and 134th.  You take a deep breath becuase you know that the non-conference schedule YOU set up during your coaching career was ranked 310th and 192nd.   

Next, you see vocal complaints about what a poor Big East tournament team MU is, even though they lost to a higher seeded team the last two years.  You worry a bit, knowing that you failed to reach the championship game despite a #2 seed in 2007.

Then, you see the complaints about a "pathetic" offensive performnace in a 61-49 loss to Michigan State.  You start to sweat a bit, knowing your team just scored just 47 against UNC--the fewest points against UNC in an NCAA tournament in over forty years.  In addition, you were down 14 by the half, while MU was only down 12.   UNC put up 68 points--making the final margin 21.

Then you see the ongoing complaints suggesting that MU had underachived (some even say regressed) by going just 11-7, after a 10-6 record last year (knowing that your team lost 5 games last year, but 7 games this year and dropped from 2nd place to a 3rd place tie).

Then you try to think about if there even have been complaints about your schedule, Pac10 tournament record, NCAA performance or conference season record--and you realize that you're getting a lot of love for performance that seems to be generating a whole lot of griping in Milwaukee.

Hmm.

Anyone wonder why Tony took a pass on MU? 

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Let's say you're Tony Bennett . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »
I would like to think our expectations are higher here than at Washington State.

and they lost to #1 UNC in the sweet 16, we fell apart in the first round against #9 MSU.  I think the fans here would be overjoyed with WSU's results.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »
. .  . and you're checking out MU to decide if you want to open up that Brink's Truck that just rolled up to your door.

Hmm.

LOL...Yeah, Tony logged onto the all the MU message boards and determined this job was just too hot for him.  HC's are just so thinned skinned these days!

I think you win the prize for most lame post for the day.  Someone give Marquette84 a Buzz doll.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:33:58 PM by MUinCO »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »
Hopefully, Buzz Williams will take Marquette84's advice and legally adopt some of our recruits in order to save scholarships.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »
Hmm.

I do wonder a little bit, as it is certainly not for the reasons you suggest, so thank you for providing no insight. Does it ever get lonely up there?

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »
speaking of adding no value.... does it ever get lonely at your computer desk hitting the website for 1000+ posts??  Gotta watch them rocks in da glass house..   ;D

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »
I would like to think our expectations are higher here than at Washington State.

Which is why a top coach wouldn't want to come here.  If you are Bennett or Miller, you're going to see that MU fans expect more than you're able to deliver today.  You're loved at WSU and Xavier.  We saw what happened with Crean despite superior performance.

***and they lost to #1 UNC in the sweet 16, we fell apart in the first round against #9 MSU.  I think the fans here would be overjoyed with WSU's results.

And keep in mind that WSU--#4 seed--didn't just lose to UNC, they had the lowest offensive output against UNC in the NCAAs in 42 years--that's a whole lot of 14, 15 and 16 seeds who managed to outscore WSU did.   I know there would be a lot of comments on this board if MU broke a 42 year record for low offensieve output--"overjoyed" is not the word that comes to mind.  In fact, something tells me we'd be compared unfavorably to Mount St. Marys (who scored 74 points against UNC). 

While we're on fans being overjoyed, just ask PRN what he thought about MU's non-confernece schedule if we came in with the #310 ranked non-conference schedule. Overjoyed, once again, is not the word that comes to my mind. 

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
speaking of adding no value.... does it ever get lonely at your computer desk hitting the website for 1000+ posts??  Gotta watch them rocks in da glass house..   ;D

That would be 103 math major.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:17:45 PM »
We've been to the sweet 16 twice since Jimmy Carter left office.  We would have been thrilled to make the Sweet 16 and get spanked.  (In case you didn't notice, there's a bit of a difference between not scoring in the first 10 minutes of an opening round 8-9 game and losing to the number 1 team in the land in the round of 16.)  We loved the last guy who won an NCAA tournament game in just 2 of his 9 seasons here.  I don't think Bennett would have been too worried about satisfying an unreasonable fan base.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »
That would be 103 math major.

Actually was referring to Navin's posts ripping on thread starter genius.  Let me guess, Broadcast Comm??  Dumb a$$

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:27:42 PM by MUinCO »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »
SJS, you forgot to take your pills this morning.

Just b/c Joani Crean spent more time on message boards than Murff, Dodds and Chicos combined doesn't mean coaches base their job choices on them.

In total we're about 150 dorks, 10 or so who B&M about the sked, diet pepsi, obsession over deflections etc, meanwhile there are upwards of 18,000 people at the BC giving TC a nice applause whenever he's introduced. 

Move on, your crush left you.  Move on.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »

And keep in mind that WSU--#4 seed--didn't just lose to UNC, they had the lowest offensive output against UNC in the NCAAs in 42 years--that's a whole lot of 14, 15 and 16 seeds who managed to outscore WSU did.   I know there would be a lot of comments on this board if MU broke a 42 year record for low offensieve output--"overjoyed" is not the word that comes to mind.  In fact, something tells me we'd be compared unfavorably to Mount St. Marys (who scored 74 points against UNC). 

While we're on fans being overjoyed, just ask PRN what he thought about MU's non-confernece schedule if we came in with the #310 ranked non-conference schedule. Overjoyed, once again, is not the word that comes to my mind. 

[/quote]

84, I think you're way off base here, 99.9% of our fans would have been thrilled with a Sweet 16 this year.  I think you're extrapolating some of our more hard to please individuals for an entire fan base.  I was happy with Crean, but I'd take WSU's last two seasons over what we had.  However, after Bennett is gone, WSU will likely slide back down to the cellar of the PAC-10 and hopefully we're still competing at the top of the Big East.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
SJS, you forgot to take your pills this morning.

Just b/c Joani Crean spent more time on message boards than Murff, Dodds and Chicos combined doesn't mean coaches base their job choices on them.

My God, if it's true that Joani Crean spent time on the MU boards, God help her with the Indiana people.

And if Tony Bennett is bothered by the mild MU alum base, God help him when he moves to an elite school.  He better stay at WSU.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »

First, you see that MU fans complain year round about the non-conference schedule despite what seems (to you) to be a respectible rank of 98th and 134th.  You take a deep breath becuase you know that the non-conference schedule YOU set up during your coaching career was ranked 310th and 192nd.   

Next, you see vocal complaints about what a poor Big East tournament team MU is, even though they lost to a higher seeded team the last two years.  You worry a bit, knowing that you failed to reach the championship game despite a #2 seed in 2007.

Then, you see the complaints about a "pathetic" offensive performnace in a 61-49 loss to Michigan State.  You start to sweat a bit, knowing your team just scored just 47 against UNC--the fewest points against UNC in an NCAA tournament in over forty years.  In addition, you were down 14 by the half, while MU was only down 12.   UNC put up 68 points--making the final margin 21.

Then you see the ongoing complaints suggesting that MU had underachived (some even say regressed) by going just 11-7, after a 10-6 record last year (knowing that your team lost 5 games last year, but 7 games this year and dropped from 2nd place to a 3rd place tie).

Then you try to think about if there even have been complaints about your schedule, Pac10 tournament record, NCAA performance or conference season record--and you realize that you're getting a lot of love for performance that seems to be generating a whole lot of griping in Milwaukee.

Hmm.

Well, I don't know if Tony passed on the job because of the fanbase...

but you definitely bring up some interesting points that I agree with.

I think I'm learning that modern sports fans love to be sports critics. I don't know if its because we are all former high school jocks, wannebees or just because we all pay a lot for tickets.

But, tune into any radio station or message board for any major sport, and you will hear the critics.

EXAMPLE:
John Calipari is a very good/great coach who is launching Memphis into a new stratosphere (a few great seasons in a row)... but he was still getting ripped today for some of the calls he made.

Now, I'm not saying Cal didn't make some mistakes... but the guy has clearly done a TON of things right... so sometimes you need to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Their program is still in great shape.

Anyways, Tony Bennett would have been a fine coach... but people would still be critical of his choices, because that seems to be the modern sports world.

I often gave Crean the benefit of the doubt because he had done so many things well at MU that it was hard for me to harp on some of the things he wasn't great at.

With Buzz, I just don't know enough about him to be critical. Seems like a good guy. Appears to have a good recruiting track record.

I hope he does well at MU.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »

Three letters:

L-S-U
SS Marquette

Friends call me Shaka

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
Radio report in SF says he met with LSU officials(along with Trent Johnson of Stanford)

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »
Radio report in SF says he met with LSU officials(along with Trent Johnson of Stanford)

Trent Johnson?! You mean the same Trent Johnson who went all nuclear ten minutes into one of the biggest games of his career and got tossed?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 08:12:32 AM »
Homer had an interview with Pat Richter yesterday.  Richter knows Tony Bennett (and his dad) very well.  Richter believes that Bennett is turning down all of these jobs because he believes that a contract is a contract--he made a fail deal with WSU and he intends to honor it.  That's the kind of guy he is. 

Makes me want him even more.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 08:39:45 AM »
Homer had an interview with Pat Richter yesterday.  Richter knows Tony Bennett (and his dad) very well.  Richter believes that Bennett is turning down all of these jobs because he believes that a contract is a contract--he made a fail deal with WSU and he intends to honor it.  That's the kind of guy he is. 

Makes me want him even more.

Well, that may be something interesting to watch if/when Bo retires.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »
Richter brought that up, too.  He thinks that Bo will stay another 10 or so years, and that Bennett may try to keep his contract length in line with what is happening in Moscow.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »
I'm sure the recruits in the future will be thrilled to show up at WSU knowing Bennett's contract is up in X years and he'll be heading to Madison before they arrive on campus.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 09:55:53 AM »

Hmm.

Do you honestly expect us to believe there aren't 6-10 prn types at washington state complaining just as much about bennett?