'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Perception is reality"  (Read 1581 times)

theodoc

• Walk-On
"Perception is reality"
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
Can someone clarify for me in what world this is true?  I may perceive that I am a brilliant, handsome man...but reality says otherwise. 

Possible alternatives: "perception is important for recruiting" or "image is everything in college basketball".  I don't know... :-\

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: "Perception is reality"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
Amen to that.  I am a big fan right now of letting th evidence come in.  Let's see how he is with the recruits, and then the coaching.  I'll feel in a better position to evaluate Buzz as a coach then. 
But hey, by all means, if people here want to hyperventilate and overreact like a bunch of 6th grade girls, go right ahead.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »
Can someone clarify for me in what world this is true?  I may perceive that I am a brilliant, handsome man...but reality says otherwise. 

Possible alternatives: "perception is important for recruiting" or "image is everything in college basketball".  I don't know... :-\

A big time program hires an assistant from a major program or a proven head coach while limiting risks in the process.

Perception (and reality) is that we say we are one thing and act like another in many ways.  Sort of a hybrid.  Many are disappointed and rightly so.  The hiring of the AD two months ago raised a lot of eyebrows and now the hiring of an assistant coach with a 14-17 record...raises a lot of eyebrows.

Perception is based on what people are thinking or saying....you may be 100% right, but that's not what the conventional wisdom is right now and that is what becomes perception.  Whether it becomes reality, we shall see....today, perception is reality.   Two years from now, perception may have been turned on it's ear and become an entirely different reality.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
"Perception is reality."  Man, that's real deep...has alot of "truthiness" to it.

theodoc

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 02:56:28 PM »

A big time program hires an assistant from a major program or a proven head coach while limiting risks in the process.

Perception (and reality) is that we say we are one thing and act like another in many ways.  Sort of a hybrid.  Many are disappointed and rightly so.  The hiring of the AD two months ago raised a lot of eyebrows and now the hiring of an assistant coach with a 14-17 record...raises a lot of eyebrows.

isn't that what i'm saying?  that our perception of ourselves does NOT match the reality of the situation.  we want to be "big time" and steal a "big name" (or established) coach...but didn't do it.  forces us to question "who we are."  either way, perception does NOT equal reality...

feedback