Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It is not that I don't like Buzz....  (Read 1805 times)

denverMU

• All American
It is not that I don't like Buzz....
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »
hell, I don't know Buzz.  He could be great, we will have to wait and see.  I have 2 issues.  First, recruiting, yes I know that was his main job, but as can be seen with T Taylor, players knew Crean and were coming to play for him.  It is going to take 2-4 years for Buzz to make a Name for himself in order to attract top quality, BEAST talent.  Second, he is young, so in 4-5 years he does a great job and leaves to replace Crean at Indiana.  I'm sick of MU highering young coaches to be a stepping stone for their careers.  I think it would have been in MU's best interest to hire a more established coach, with more name recognition (to keep and get recruits) and make this his home until retirement.  All this said I will still be cheering for MU!!!

leglegle

• Walk-On
Re: It is not that I don't like Buzz....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »
I think we fancied ourselves too much...MU is not a destination program...that is the bottome line.

Who is an established coach that would end his career at MU?

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
Bob McKillop!!!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:09:03 AM »
Maybe Packer was right. In coach's eyes we (and most Catholic schools) are a steppingstone. That said, I can't believe the vitriol being directed at this guy. We're automatically assuming he's going to fall flat on his face and we'll be back in the Dukiet era, except on a much larger scale. I do resent the fact that MU apperantly listened to Crean's recommendation (I have visions of Bill Parcells recommending Ray Handley to the Giants' brass in 1990), but I will support the guy until he shows he cannot do the job.  

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
I think we fancied ourselves too much...MU is not a destination program...that is the bottome line.

Unfortunately, this is the fundamental issue.  When Crean left, my first thought was that now we'd find out how far we've really come as a "program."  Here's our answer.  Like the original post, it's not that I don't like Buzz -- I don't know too much about him.  But, assuming that our administration is not utterly incompetent (have at it, boys, I know that many of you are unwilling to make that assumption), Marquette isn't in a place where we can attract the type of coach that we all wanted.  Although it's hard to know for sure who we talked to, it would seem that Miller, Bennett and Grant weren't willing to leave where they are for Marquette -- even for a lot of cash.  Given that cold reality, I'm not willing to fault the administration for hiring Buzz (at least yet).  Maybe they've found the proverbial diamond in the rough.  Just because others weren't beating down his door doesn't mean that he's not a great hire.  He might be the greatest coach for Marquette since Al.  Or, he might be the worst.  At this point, all we can do is wait and see.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

leglegle

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
Bob McKillop?  What did he do?  He rode a hot shooter in the tournament.  Now, don't get me wrong I loved the Davidson victory over Bucky.  What is he going to bring to the program...Stephen Curry ain't walking through that door.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
Your an idiot.  He is at a school of 1700.  First of all he got Curry to go to school there.  He's won his conference title,been coach of the year and gone to the NCAA multiple times.  He has New york connections and is well respected in the coaching community.  He has definitely got a better head coaching record than 14-17.  As for "riding a hot shooter" that is just stupid, I guess Phil Jackson just rode a hot shooter (MJ) to all his titles.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »
First of all he got Curry to go to school there. 

Well, yes.  But you're talking about this Stephen Curry:
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1159193

A 3-star prospect (not bad) that was only recruited by Davidson, Virginia Commonwealth, and VA Tech.  When Tech didn't made him an offer, he fell into the other two choices.  He decided on the school 20 miles from his home (Charlotte, NC).

Nothing against McKillop - I think he's a decent coach.  But he did hit a recruiting jackpot, and rode it to the tournament.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
First of all he got Curry to go to school there. 

Well, yes.  But you're talking about this Stephen Curry:
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1159193

A 3-star prospect (not bad) that was only recruited by Davidson, Virginia Commonwealth, and VA Tech.  When Tech didn't made him an offer, he fell into the other two choices.  He decided on the school 20 miles from his home (Charlotte, NC).

Nothing against McKillop - I think he's a decent coach.  But he did hit a recruiting jackpot, and rode it to the tournament.

He also signed the NCAA assists leader, from Barrington, IL.