Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "This is not about Buzz Williams"  (Read 3197 times)

MU NY

• Starter
"This is not about Buzz Williams"
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »
First things first...we do not speak in the third person at Marquette...

Second...You are right Buzz, this is not about you...this is about one of the biggest missed opportunities for a program on the rise that we at Marquette have ever witnessed.

Third...this is about the BoT's showing the nation that Marquette is not a destination job, despite the world class facilities, the BE power conference and the fact we are a Bball-only school.

Lastly...Call your recruits before you call Todd Rosiak

MarqKarp

• Starter
Re: "This is not about Buzz Williams"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:04:17 AM »
I couldn't agree more.  That is pretty much my feeling as well.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:09:10 AM »
Did I hear this correctly...Marquette gave him a six year deal?

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:11:53 AM »
yup.
6 years.

:P

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:15:04 AM »
good gravy...why not ten?  "Okay Buzz, given your resume of one year of experience and a sub .500 record, we would like to hire you for the next six years.  "Now get out there and call Todd Rosiak at the local paper!"  :o

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »
Honestly. What did you guys want him to say?

You haven't even heard him speak yet.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:22:39 AM »
Pretty simple..."I had no idea I was going to be offered a six year deal as head coach of one of the nations top 25 programs but I sure as heck am psyched about it now!!!  All I have to do is keep a few recruits and count on my seniors and when all is said and done, bolt for a new gig somewhere else once I have improved my level of experience."   

leglegle

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »
So, today at the press conference if he says he tried to get crean to zone against the Lopez brothers, or he urged crean to foul at halfcourt for the end of the Georgetown game, will he get a break then?  You know nothing about how this guy can coach. He deserves our initial support. 

The program is bigger than one guy.  At least that is what we heard last week when crean departed.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 08:41:59 AM »
You know nothing about how this guy can coach.

That's right, because his sole experience coaching is one year at UNO, where his team finished under 0.500.  We know nothing about how this guy can coach, or how he develops players, or if he can lead a D1 program.

What kind of offense does he run?  What's his defensive philosophy?  We don't know the answer to that either!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:51 AM »
why don;t we at least wait for the presser before we all jump off the bandwagon?  That's not too much to ask, is it?  Is there a way for those who are out of state MU fans to get the press conference?

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
why don;t we at least wait for the presser before we all jump off the bandwagon?  That's not too much to ask, is it?  Is there a way for those who are out of state MU fans to get the press conference?

Last I checked pressers don't change reality...we parlayed some of the greatest success in MU Bball history since AL and handed it to an entry level hire.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
While I disagree wholeheartedly with the hire, I agree with the contract length.

He can't be getting paid more than $600-$750/yr (if he is it's highway robbery), and if he's fired after year 3 the buyout is probably close to nothing.  Basically no downside. 

If we signed him to anything less than that in contract length, that really puts a damper on recruiting, then, doesn't it?  Can you imagine the kind of negative recruiting he'd be subjected to if he had a three or four year contract?  He already has enough obstacles to overcome as it is.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
People are saying we know absolutely nothing about the way he coaches etc but are in full support of hiring him????  WTF????  wanna explain that one?  thats exactly why he was a BAD HIRE!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
While I disagree wholeheartedly with the hire, I agree with the contract length.

He can't be getting paid more than $600-$750/yr (if he is it's highway robbery), and if he's fired after year 3 the buyout is probably close to nothing.  Basically no downside. 

If we signed him to anything less than that in contract length, that really puts a damper on recruiting, then, doesn't it?  Can you imagine the kind of negative recruiting he'd be subjected to if he had a three or four year contract?  He already has enough obstacles to overcome as it is.

We can't have given this guy even as much as $600K with that resume. If we did, Cottingham should be fired. I'm serious.

Our golf coach should be getting more money than Williams and if he isn't I'd demand a renegotiation.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
It really doesn't matter if WE know what kind of offense/defense he'll run, though I'm sure we'll learn that later today. I would have to believe that these topics were discussed during the interview process. How he responded in that forum is what matters. I'm not thrilled about the move either, but it seems people are jumping to all sorts of irrational positions to justify their displeasure with the outcome of this "search". I sure hoped we'd get Miller or Bennett, but if they aren't interested they aren't interested. That's what stings the most.

No assistant coach would ever get hired if criteria for the job was the fans knowing what kind of offense/defense he'll run before he even gets the job.

You can't give a coach less than 5 years or he'll never land any recruits. If he bombs they'll get rid of him; just like if he does great he'll probably head elsewhere. That's the reality of the situation. 6 years at a moderate salary is the cost of doing business. If he starts out well they'll extend him and give him a raise. We've seen it all before.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »

We can't have given this guy even as much as $600K with that resume. If we did, Cottingham should be fired. I'm serious.

Our golf coach should be getting more money than Williams and if he isn't I'd demand a renegotiation.

I was just using a high-end hypothetical for argument's sake.  I doubt he signed for that much.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
Where do I sign up for an assnt. coaching job at Marquette:

"One year of coaching strongly preferred, record and conference not important."
"Opportunity for significant advancement in one year to become head coach of a nationally ranked team along with a six year guaranteed contract."
"Great platform to jump from if and when you desire...no notice necessary."

feedback