Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Worst mistake EVER  (Read 2353 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Worst mistake EVER
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:29:38 AM »
Can we all agreed that this was a terrible decision?  BUZZ WILLIAMS.  ZERO SUCCESS AT A HEAD COACH LEVEL.  Some are saying that we are a second tier program.  Well, we are forever going to be a second tier program with a second tier coach.  With the kind of money we could have throw at guys doing nothing (Larry Brown, Scott Skiles, etc.) or other coaches at mid majors, we decide to get a coach with no experience.  At least at this point, Marquette has some appeal because of its recent success.  BUT NO, lets roll the dice again with another assistant.  If he bottoms out, I will see random tourney appearances for the next 30 years of my life.  FANTASTIC. 

My point is that this is an important decision in MU's program.  Why not go the safe side with a big name and KEEP our recruits instead of taking a shot in the dark with a no name and we will lose recruits?  Thanks ADMIN.  I will stop making donations.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

77fan88warrior

• All American
Re: Worst mistake EVER
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:37:05 AM »
Can we all agreed that this was a terrible decision?  BUZZ WILLIAMS.  ZERO SUCCESS AT A HEAD COACH LEVEL.  Some are saying that we are a second tier program.  Well, we are forever going to be a second tier program with a second tier coach.  With the kind of money we could have throw at guys doing nothing (Larry Brown, Scott Skiles, etc.) or other coaches at mid majors, we decide to get a coach with no experience.  At least at this point, Marquette has some appeal because of its recent success.  BUT NO, lets roll the dice again with another assistant.  If he bottoms out, I will see random tourney appearances for the next 30 years of my life.  FANTASTIC. 

My point is that this is an important decision in MU's program.  Why not go the safe side with a big name and KEEP our recruits instead of taking a shot in the dark with a no name and we will lose recruits?  Thanks ADMIN.  I will stop making donations.

(Larry Brown, Scott Skiles, etc.)

How do you know these guys can recruit?
Skiles never recruited college and Larry Brown was the first guy to hire a recruit's father in Danny Manning's father. This was a new chapter in ethics problems for college basketball. Larry Brown can't last 2 years in the pros and you think he can recruit college kids for 4 years? Who are you kidding?

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »
I try to remain optimistic, but your post sums up how I feel.  

MU was the best or second best coaching opening in the country at the moment.   There were some very good choices available. The administration not only made the lazy decision, we "rolled the dice" as you suggest.

Does anyone know what is he going to be paid?  Was the motivation to save money with this hire?  Pennywise and pound foolish if that is true.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:56:59 AM »
I am assuming that 77fan was referring to Skiles and not Brown with lasting more than two years because Larry Brown have a HUGE list of achievements in the pros and college level.  He has won championships in both and also has indicated in the media that he would like to coach again.  I am sure he is referring to the pros but I am sure he would bow to the all mighty dollar (ie. his NY Knicks position, worst managed team in a LONG time).  Scott Skiles would be a great college basketball coach.  First, he has a good career as a pro. Second, as a Bulls fan I would know, he ran the team like a college team.  Finally, he was a good X's and O's.  I think he would be solid.  AND a big name to bring excitement for the program for recruits.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »
Go back to square one, any way you look at it this is a turd in a bucket!!, but then what do you expect from an administration that thinks that changing a generic knickname is making a bold statement. ?-(

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:47:17 AM »
It might work out, but this was a sh*tty hire. It shows that a bunch of nerds let some hs coach, some marginal recruits and our overbearing ex coach push them around. For an opening lkike this to come up with this hiring is inexplicable.

This guy -- this Oklahoma City College graduate -- is now the face of our university. Think about that!

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:52:58 AM »
It might work out, but this was a sh*tty hire. It shows that a bunch of nerds let some hs coach, some marginal recruits and our overbearing ex coach push them around. For an opening lkike this to come up with this hiring is inexplicable.

This guy -- this Oklahoma City College graduate -- is now the face of our university. Think about that!

Yeah...that is so much worse than Tom Crean's Parks and Recreation degree from Central Michigan..... ?-(

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »
I am assuming that 77fan was referring to Skiles and not Brown with lasting more than two years because Larry Brown have a HUGE list of achievements in the pros and college level.  He has won championships in both and also has indicated in the media that he would like to coach again.  I am sure he is referring to the pros but I am sure he would bow to the all mighty dollar (ie. his NY Knicks position, worst managed team in a LONG time).  Scott Skiles would be a great college basketball coach.  First, he has a good career as a pro. Second, as a Bulls fan I would know, he ran the team like a college team.  Finally, he was a good X's and O's.  I think he would be solid.  AND a big name to bring excitement for the program for recruits.

I would have loved Skiles. He seems to do things the right way. As for Larry Brown.......

1972-74 Carolina Cougars (ABA)
1974-79 Denver Nuggets (ABA until 1976, then NBA)
1979-81 UCLA (NCAA)
1981-83 New Jersey Nets (NBA)
1983-88 University of Kansas (NCAA)
1988-92 San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
1992-93 Los Angeles Clippers (NBA)
1993-97 Indiana Pacers (NBA)
1997-2003 Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
2003-05 Detroit Pistons (NBA)
2005-06 New York Knicks (NBA)

I would not call this stable. People are ticked about a guy leaving after 9 years and misleading players and recruits. What does Brown's coaching timeline tell recruits? I don't deny his achievements but he seems to have a history of walking away when the going gets rough.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 09:13:02 AM »
Larry Brown is old, washed-up and would last 10 minutes at MU before deciding he wanted something else. Please.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »

Seriously, why don't you just copy this paragraph and paste it on every thread on this board....your tired.  Your arguments have no bearing.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »
My point is that this is an important decision in MU's program.  Why not go the safe side with a big name and KEEP our recruits instead of taking a shot in the dark with a no name and we will lose recruits? 

What "big name" was willing to leave a major or even high mid-major program for the MU job? We got turned down by Wash. St., Xaxier and Va. Commonwealth. Face it, MU is a high mid-major, bottom of the top-25 program at best. An established head coach at a small-time program (Deane, Dukiet) or a young assistant seems to be the best we can do. We should be on equal footing with a program like Georgetown, but for some reason we aren't. Why not?

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »
My point is that this is an important decision in MU's program.  Why not go the safe side with a big name and KEEP our recruits instead of taking a shot in the dark with a no name and we will lose recruits? 

What "big name" was willing to leave a major or even high mid-major program for the MU job? We got turned down by Wash. St., Xaxier and Va. Commonwealth. Face it, MU is a high mid-major, bottom of the top-25 program at best. An established head coach at a small-time program (Deane, Dukiet) or a young assistant seems to be the best we can do. We should be on equal footing with a program like Georgetown, but for some reason we aren't. Why not?

Because we keep hireing young assistants like Buzz.

feedback