[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: # of Big East Teams  (Read 4917 times)

MilTown

• Team Captain
# of Big East Teams
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:00:01 PM »
I was just looking at the Big East standings on the left of the screen and am continually amazed at the size of the Big East. 16 Teams! I love the fact that we are in the Big East, but I think the league is way too big. I know there is continual talk of the football schools leaving or the basketball only schools forming a league. Does anyone know what the general feeling is for the future of the Big East?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: # of Big East Teams
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »
I can't claim to know the general feelings, but everything I've read seems to indicate that as long as multiple football teams do well, and the BE retains it's BCS bid then the league is less likely to split.

This year was a great FB year for the BE, and as long as those continue to happen the league will likely stay together.

I'm curious, why do you think it's too big?  As of next year, all teams will play each other once - so that problem is solved.  To me, it seems that either you have a big conference and play everybody once, or a small conference and play everybody twice.  Other than the mid-major tag of CUSA, what did you think about the 2 division conference?  Personally, I thought it was worse than what we've got in the BE now because of the limited exposure to teams in the other division of the conference.

The only downside yet to be solved(in my mind) due to the "hugeness" of the Big East is the fact that 4 teams get left out of the bball tourney.  However, I'm starting to accept the argument that it makes the end of the season exciting - because essentially all (or some of) the bottom teams are playing their hearts out just to GET to NY.  When nothing's a "gimme" in the league, you get a better level of competition.

Just my thoughts...

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »
I guess my main issue is scheduling. I was a big fan of playing a team twice in a season. Remember when we used to play Cincy, LVille, and DePaul and Memphis twice a year. Granted I remember one year where we only played Cincy once, but that was rare. This year, we don't even play Cincy. Cincy even without Huggy Bear is one of our biggest rivals. I think playing teams twice a year allows natural rivalries to grow. This year we have 2 games against Pitt which is great, but next year we will only get one. We only have one chance to beat DePaul's brains in this year.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:41:58 PM »
I do agree not having Cincy on our schedule this year is weird.  At least we know it won't happen again (in the BE that is).

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 03:08:29 PM »
So, starting next year, our big east schedule will be 15 games? Also, does that mean we will have a consistent schedule, meaning teams we play at home next year, we play on the road the following year? I guess I can live with that setup. However, I think some of the rivalries lose some steam. I will still miss the home and home series. I love the excitement and storylines that go along with the second meeting of the year. The anticipation for the next game is great after a first great meeting. I love how the losing team has a shot at redemption in the second meeting. Look at this year. The second Pitt and LVille games at the BC are bound to have some great storylines.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 03:34:34 PM »
So, starting next year, our big east schedule will be 15 games?

Does that mean some teams will have 7 home games while others have 8?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:50:39 PM »
actually.. I thought the new format next year is that we will play every team at least once and that there will still be three teams we play mirror (home/home) games with in the same season.  The net result is that we would have two more conference games (one of which is at home and one of which is away) as well as two fewer OOC games.

Also thought that's why the emphasis on the question about whether financials would allow us to schedule any more away games next year in the OOC portion of the season since UW soaks one up and the new in conference away game soaks one up.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »
actually.. I thought the new format next year is that we will play every team at least once and that there will still be three teams we play mirror (home/home) games with in the same season.  The net result is that we would have two more conference games (one of which is at home and one of which is away) as well as two fewer OOC games.

Also thought that's why the emphasis on the question about whether financials would allow us to schedule any more away games next year in the OOC portion of the season since UW soaks one up and the new in conference away game soaks one up.

Gold star for spiral97  :)

The league will go to an 18-game conference schedule in 2007-08 with each team playing every opponent once and three twice.

Check out the last two lines of the article at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13866009/

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 04:00:01 PM »
*bows*

;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »
Wow, that's going to be a brutal schedule. I would imagine they will have to push up conference games before new years to fit everything in.

feedback