Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: PROTEST (2008 thread)  (Read 24025 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: PROTEST
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 07:19:04 AM »
Two ways you could be a Buzz supporter:

#1 You are TC croonie and you love being on the inside of program.
#2 You know NOTHING about college basketball.

I promise you no one is more surprised by this hiring more than Buz himself. Two weeks ago his name did not come up for ANY job.

Get a grip? I have spent a ton of money supporting following MU ball and now have a son attending there. Been a fan since Al and supported every lame decision. Not anymore.

Dear Internet Tough Guy,

In regards to your post calling everyone to go out and protest: Why are you still online and not protesting outside?

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 07:20:17 AM »
MU supporter no more? No crap. With friends/supporters like you, who needs enemies?  Maybe after today you'll realize how ridiculous you have been, but if not, Marquette isn't going to lose any sleep over your loss of support. Neither will REAL fans and real supporters. Get over yourself.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 07:21:41 AM »
Two ways you could be a Buzz supporter:

#1 You are TC croonie and you love being on the inside of program.
#2 You know NOTHING about college basketball.

I promise you no one is more surprised by this hiring more than Buz himself. Two weeks ago his name did not come up for ANY job.

Get a grip? I have spent a ton of money supporting following MU ball and now have a son attending there. Been a fan since Al and supported every lame decision. Not anymore.

Dear Internet Tough Guy,

In regards to your post calling everyone to go out and protest: Why are you still online and not protesting outside?

Great point.

Maybe the internet "warrior protesters" and "buzz protesters" can coordinate efforts... because as we have seen, complaining about it on the internet isn't likely to get anything done.

Take it to the streets, brother!

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 07:24:36 AM »
Internet tough guy is protesting. Four season tickets for 35y are being canceled. Internet tough guy said alumni should boycott games, write a letter or call voicing displeasure.

I have loved supporting MU ball all of these years, but this is a mistake I believe no one should accept. Judging by everyone's comments I should stage a one man protest.

Everyone that knows ball seems disappointed/angry but life goes on. My point remains that is why MU does the things they do. They do not care about alumni, unless donating a ton, and the fans.

jce

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 07:26:39 AM »
Internet tough guy is protesting. Four season tickets for 35y are being canceled.

Over this???  You're cancelling your tickets over the hiring of Buzz Williams????

Very odd.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »
Gym,
Welcome to 2008, this isn't the 70's anymore and right now marquette isn't a destination job.  Sorry to break the news to you but at least wait and see what this guy can do before we banish him to the far end of the earth.  Honestly, he doesn't have extremely huge shoes to fill, I mean with this team he should be headibg to the tourney again and if he actually wins his first game he'll have tied our tourney win total over the past 5 years of our "storied" program.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:57 AM »
Internet tough guy is protesting. Four season tickets for 35y are being canceled. Internet tough guy said alumni should boycott games, write a letter or call voicing displeasure.

I have loved supporting MU ball all of these years, but this is a mistake I believe no one should accept. Judging by everyone's comments I should stage a one man protest.

Everyone that knows ball seems disappointed/angry but life goes on. My point remains that is why MU does the things they do. They do not care about alumni, unless donating a ton, and the fans.

Actually, I can respect this.

This is a free country and an open market.

MU basketball is a product... if you aren't happy with it, then don't purchase it.

Can't fault you for that.

But, please realize that accusing others of not being fans makes you seem a little crazy (especially because Buzz hasn't even started the season yet).

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 07:30:45 AM »
Odd? I agree. I should have canceled over hiring of Mike Deane and came back when TC arrived. I would have been served giving the Business School the money for the Deane years than bball program. Giving money to inferior product so they can fund a girls team was waste of money.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 08:04:19 AM »
MU ticket holders---Do you think MU charging top tier pricing for tickets should equate to top tier coaching?  MU wants us to pay top dollar and it seemed logical when a coach was making $1.65 mil a year. They will now want the same top dollar for inferior product.

I really cannot believe nobody finds that alarming.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
Odd? I agree. I should have canceled over hiring of Mike Deane and came back when TC arrived. I would have been served giving the Business School the money for the Deane years than bball program. Giving money to inferior product so they can fund a girls team was waste of money.

hey THEGAYBAR... please cancel your tickets asap.  also, anyone else on the fence about their tickets, please cancel... i want to be able to move my seats up for next year.  you guys that think this is the worst thing ever make me want to puke.  grow up and act your age.  i have no idea what buzz will do with this team, but neither do you.  all is speculation at this point.  i for one would like to see what he is capable of.  

the bandwagon will be arriving at your destination shortly, please gather up bags fair-weather-fans and exit once it comes to a complete stop.  i hope you have enjoyed riding with Bandwagon Express.  don't let the door hit your in the ass on the way out.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »
MUGimpOne--My pleasure on giving up the seats. It is always fun to see an upper decker get down to the expensive seats. FYI I have great seats and I do because I have supported this program a long time. Everytime they asked for more money I wrote a check.

Careful what you wish for. Great seats come with a price. I have enjoyed my 30y + bandwagon ride. If I miss this one so be it. I can assure you that my views are shared by many old time fans. I have received a dozen calls/emails on the topic already.

Good luck downstairs. It really is as good as it looks!!!!

MarqKarp

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »
This isn't about whether Buzz will have success or not, because you are right none of us know.  The anger and frustration is that this hire puts us on the same level as Ball State and UWGB (2 other schools that hired Crean assistants).  Some of us are disappointed that MU made a Horizon League hire.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »
MUGimpOne--My pleasure on giving up the seats. It is always fun to see an upper decker get down to the expensive seats. FYI I have great seats and I do because I have supported this program a long time. Everytime they asked for more money I wrote a check.

Careful what you wish for. Great seats come with a price. I have enjoyed my 30y + bandwagon ride. If I miss this one so be it. I can assure you that my views are shared by many old time fans. I have received a dozen calls/emails on the topic already.

you know, you may have just pointed out the problem here.  all the younger alums that haven't cashed in their 401k's yet to live the golden days are stuck upstairs.  while you cry baby blue-hairs are taking up the good seats.  we may owe you a debt of gratitude for other things in the nation, but not marquette basketball.  just because you have had tickets for 30+ years doesn't mean you run the show and should be catered to.  hopefully this will clear the lower bowl of their AARP requirement and let passionate fans get to the seats where their support can be heard.  don't worry GYMBAR, you can continue to sit on your hands and not stand up to cheer at home, you won't have to pay for parking then.

watch for us in your seats...

sincerely,

The MU Faithful
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »
Gimp--Thank you for the kind words. But actually with the money that my family has given to the school over the years I do believe they should take that into consideration. MU is a business and any good business caters to big customer first, medium customers second and infrequent customers last.

I have respected and cheered for MU bball program all my life. Hardly a blue hair, much closer to your age than a blue hair. I can tell you that I respect the older alumni that helped build the foundation of MU ball. The foundation was built in the 1970's and weathered the past 30 years relatively well. I for one do not want to see it crumble.

If your interest is having better seats and standing the whole game I respect that. I remember sitting upstairs at the Arena and the "Blue hairs" as you call them were on their feet. Winning teams create excitement.

I have zero problem with your comments other than they lack any respect to people that supported this program for a long time. If you are the future of this program, please study its' history. It is quite impressive. This program belongs to be guided by qualified people, not people who might be qualified if we only give him a chance.

Good luck young Warrior. The responsibility of a winning, classy organization is a big one. Do it right!!

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »

Even with an "inferior product"?

Its a shame that you are turning in your tickets. After 30+ years of support, your gonna abandon your team just like that? Your worse than Crean. Why dont you take the money you save from your seats and the donation and move to Bloomington. Marquette Basketball will NOT miss you at all, be assured of that.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »
Jay---Thanks for the advise. Please read my last post again.

Young(under 30 years of age) Warrior fans---You are needed to continue a tradition. Supporting a bad hire is not being a supporter, it is being a follower. I would rather lose the next two years and be building than worry if recruits are coming or not next year.
Do yourselves a favor and learn about the tradition. This program was ahead of the curve in so many ways. I know our place in NCAA history and its' place today. If you want to be the leaders of the program lead with your head, not your heart.
I want MU ball to win NCAA as much you do. I just know, from experience, we just went backwards.

Warriors Forever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:07 AM »
Thankfully I have nothing better to protest in my life. But with that said, I do not want to wait 20y and five coaches to be competitive again. MU is being laughed at around the country. If Buzz fails youn tell me who wants to come here in four years.

Tell the school they made a mistake before they make the mistake. I believe they got cold feet about this hire and held it off from the weekend. They did so because they were afraid of backlash.

Let's give them backlash and give it to them quickly.

nothing better to protest??  ::)

Go Warriors!

agreed. Protest what? It will just make you look more stupid to get your picture on the evening news. There is nothing more embarassing than those dorks watching the TV when they announced the "gold". Only your protest can make us the laughing stock of the NCAA. BTW, Crean was an assistant from a BIG ELEVEN school when he came here. Give Buzz a chance to keep our team and recruits intact.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 09:11:13 AM »

Young(under 30 years of age) Warrior fans---You are needed to continue a tradition. Supporting a bad hire is not being a supporter, it is being a follower. I would rather lose the next two years and be building than worry if recruits are coming or not next year.
Do yourselves a favor and learn about the tradition. This program was ahead of the curve in so many ways. I know our place in NCAA history and its' place today. If you want to be the leaders of the program lead with your head, not your heart.
I want MU ball to win NCAA as much you do. I just know, from experience, we just went backwards.

For being a "younger alum" as you called yourself, you are sure dishing out the sage wisdom like my grandfather.  I do have knowledge of the history of Marquette.  I do have respect of the tradition. I also have undying passion for the university and their athletic teams.  You give up your right to criticize other fans when you claim that giving up your season tickets and starting a protest is the best solution at this time.  I'm sure everyone was pumped about getting the coach from Belmont Abbey University back in the day, but it seemed to work out alright (coach al mcguire).  I am not jumping ship right now or ever.  I'll wait to see what this coach can do before i make my decision.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 09:11:23 AM »

TheGymBar is right on many different levels, although I'm not going to cancel my tickets just yet. Supporting the team does not and has never meant blindly following bad decisions. If it did, we'd still be called the "Gold."

I agree that I'd rather lose the next two years than win next year and have our program twirl itself down the toilet for the next five.

I'm not saying that's going to happen, but I have a hard time understand how this guy is going to compete for recruits.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »

For being a "younger alum" as you called yourself, you are sure dishing out the sage wisdom like my grandfather.  I do have knowledge of the history of Marquette.  I do have respect of the tradition. I also have undying passion for the university and their athletic teams.  You give up your right to criticize other fans when you claim that giving up your season tickets and starting a protest is the best solution at this time.  I'm sure everyone was pumped about getting the coach from Belmont Abbey University back in the day, but it seemed to work out alright (coach al mcguire).  I am not jumping ship right now or ever.  I'll wait to see what this coach can do before i make my decision.  

Comparing this to McGuire is ABSURD!!! Al McGuire was a former NBA player and was a great college player and was recommended to the university by some of the most legendary coaches of the time.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »

Gymbar you ask people to look into the history and tradition of the program.  Let me shed some light for you.  We changed our name a long time ago, stop referring to us as "Young Warriors" no one under 30 was a Warrior, get over it.  Furthermore, I have never been a Warrior, have always been a Golden Eagle and am proud to say it.  You sir are doing yourself a disservice and all of Marquette by including yourself in a group known as fans.  Trust me, with your words you are no fan of Marquette.  I will enjoy the view from the lower as well.  That is assuming you can stand up off the stick that is no doubt impaled in you currently.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2008, 09:16:55 AM »
I have zero problem with your comments other than they lack any respect to people that supported this program for a long time.

If you want respect... stay true to your program.

Get off your high horse, sir. Get the dodge stratus out of the garage and take a drive down lake shore... realize that the world is still turning. We have our coach in place and we have to deal with it. I am sorry that you are such an old fan and have seen so many new coachs come in to eventually leave the program, that you cant mustard up the energy/passion/whatever you want to call it to support the next era of MU basketball. You want a coach that will be with his program forever? Move to Arizona. They have a coach that is going nowhere. Short of him, Boehim, JTIII, Coach K, Billy Donavon every coach in the land would be willing to relocate if the price is right.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »
I find it almost comical that all the younger fans are so hostile. Guys, I am class of 1985, not 1885. Al McGuire hire was before ESPN, websites and talk radio. Todays game is different. Mistakes last a long time.

I am not sure if I am more disgusted by the hire or the lack of respect shown on here. 99% of my thoughts have been respectful to other posters. Why do I not get the same respect?

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
I find it almost comical that all the younger fans are so hostile. Guys, I am class of 1985, not 1885.

Some how I find it hard to believe you have had season tickets for 35 years then?  Please explain to my simple brain how this works?
"Four season tickets for 35y are being canceled.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »
Jay---You are right. Every SINGLE coach with exception of the ones you mentioned will eventually move. With that in mind why did we pick a guy no one else would ever consider hiring. You are making my point perfectly.

At least 25-40 good coaches available for a price and we took BUZZ. That is why everyone that knows ball and cares about ball should be pissed. I do not expect a coach to stay here forever, and glad TC left. What I expect is MU hiring top coach everytime there is a vacancy.

Bottomline is they did not deliver.