[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The grass is always greener. Or is it?  (Read 4578 times)

MUSF

• All American
The grass is always greener. Or is it?
« on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
I live in North Carolina and a lot of UNC fans are calling for Roy's head.

Billy Packer's son has a radio show down here and takes a lot of calls and emails. Here are some of the highlights.

-Roy Williams is not a great coach and never has been.

-He lost the game in the first half because he didn't call timeout quickly enough or make any adjustments.

-He hung the players out to dry against KU. They had to fight back while their coach did nothing.

-Hansbrough getting beat up by Kansas and Roy never got after the officials. Allowed KU to take psycho T out of the game.

-Roy intentionally "flopped" against Kansas because he felt bad for the way he left.

-Just because he won a national championship doesn't mean he is a great coach.

-Didn't want Roy when he left KU.

I knew Tarheels were a rabid fan base but I was shocked at how many people are seriously saying Roy is not a good coach. I know most of us would say we would take UNC's situation in a heartbeat but perspectives always change. Some of this stuff sounds awfully framilliar.

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: The grass is always greener. Or is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »
I believe Dean Smith was hung in effigy on more than one occasion.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »
Just a small taste of what Tom crean has to look forward to at Indiana.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:41:38 PM »
One of my favorite things in the world is when fans tear on coaches that have won national championships and made several final fours the day after they get bounced from a SINGLE ELILMINATION tournament.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
-He lost the game in the first half because he didn't call timeout quickly enough or make any adjustments.

-He hung the players out to dry against KU. They had to fight back while their coach did nothing.

-Hansbrough getting beat up by Kansas and Roy never got after the officials. Allowed KU to take psycho T out of the game.

Actually - when watching the game I was thinking the same things.  I'm not a HOF coach, but seemed like he needed to call a timeout during the big KU run in the first half to rally the troops earlier. 

And while I'm grown to dislike Hansbrough - he's a heck of a player, and he was getting hammered constantly in the 1st half (and end of the second half) without any fouls being called.

I don't think I'd call for his head over it - but not Roy's best coached game IMO.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:54:49 PM by rocky_warrior »

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
Actually - when watching the game I was thinking the same things.  I'm not a HOF coach, but seemed like he needed to call a timeout during the big KU run in the first half to rally the troops earlier. 

If I am remembering correctly, when everyone was calling for this timeout to be made, the game wasnt too far from an official time out, i think it was the under 8 TO. By not too far I am about 35-45 seconds. I know it was the first half, and i dont know how many timeouts he did actually have at that moment, but they would be in a timeout in two possessions anyway.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »
Dean Smith should have been hung in effigy for his coaching job against us in 1977. He had us the ropes and went to that four-corner crap that took away all his team's momentum. He should have won eight or nine championships with the teams he had at NC.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
Here's the play-by play.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=284000031

At the under 12 TO (11:30), it was a 13 point game.  By the time Roy called a TO (his FIRST!) at 7:32 it was 26 points.  Kansas grabbed a 20 point lead at 10:11 - I think that would have been a better time to use his TO.

May not have made a difference in the game, but seems like he could have done more to keep things reasonable.