[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What are we looking for in our next coach?  (Read 1587 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
What are we looking for in our next coach?
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
I'd want, in order:

1.  ...a high quality recruiter
2.  ...a solid D-I coaching background (top-ranking assistant at a highly successful high D-I program, success at mid-major or high-major level as head coach, or both)
3.  ...a relatively young/energetic guy
4.  ...someone who gives me every reason to think he'd be happy staying at Marquette for at least 5 years.
5.  ...a demonstrated ability to develop talent
6.  ...a guy who is clean in terms of the NCAA
7.  ...a guy who is a solid in-game coach (this is not higher on the list because it is very hard to find in conjunction with above).

Based on the above scale, who among the candidates we've been discussing scores best?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Ready2Fly

• All American
Re: What are we looking for in our next coach?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »
Scott Drew.

1.  ...a high quality recruiterGot a McDonald's AA to go to Baylor
2.  ...a solid D-I coaching background (top-ranking assistant at a highly successful high D-I program, success at mid-major or high-major level as head coach, or both) Assistant for many years at Valpo, took Baylor (B12) to first NCAA in 20 years
3.  ...a relatively young/energetic guy 37 years old
4.  ...someone who gives me every reason to think he'd be happy staying at Marquette for at least 5 years. Valpo & Baylor pale in comparison to MU, and his dad stayed at Valpo for years.  It's in his genes.
5.  ...a demonstrated ability to develop talent No clue on this one
6.  ...a guy who is clean in terms of the NCAA Baylor just came off of MAJOR sanctions when he was hired.  No way they would have hired someone with an ounce of dirt to their name.
7.  ...a guy who is a solid in-game coach (this is not higher on the list because it is very hard to find in conjunction with above). Don't know on this one

He grades out pretty high on this scale.  If anyone knows anything about his player development or in-game coaching, please fill me in.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »
Oddly enough, like Tom Crean, Scott Drew never even played high school basketball. They both got their coaching while high school students.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
Oddly enough, like Tom Crean, Scott Drew never even played high school basketball. They both got their coaching while high school students.

Then cross him off of the list because he won't have a good "feel for the game".

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43:39 PM »

Never played VARSITY in high school.  But he was brought up living and breathing basketball.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 03:48:24 PM »
Scott Drew.

1.  ...a high quality recruiterGot a McDonald's AA to go to Baylor
2.  ...a solid D-I coaching background (top-ranking assistant at a highly successful high D-I program, success at mid-major or high-major level as head coach, or both) Assistant for many years at Valpo, took Baylor (B12) to first NCAA in 20 years
3.  ...a relatively young/energetic guy 37 years old
4.  ...someone who gives me every reason to think he'd be happy staying at Marquette for at least 5 years. Valpo & Baylor pale in comparison to MU, and his dad stayed at Valpo for years.  It's in his genes.
5.  ...a demonstrated ability to develop talent No clue on this one
6.  ...a guy who is clean in terms of the NCAA Baylor just came off of MAJOR sanctions when he was hired.  No way they would have hired someone with an ounce of dirt to their name.
7.  ...a guy who is a solid in-game coach (this is not higher on the list because it is very hard to find in conjunction with above). Don't know on this one

He grades out pretty high on this scale.  If anyone knows anything about his player development or in-game coaching, please fill me in.

I'm sold. Saw him on PTI a few weeks back and was impressed. Get him on the phone.

PS- I think I've now officially endorsed several candidates...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
It's lame to respond to your own posts, but I thought I'd go back and see how our new hire did against what I thought we should be looking for

1.  ...a high quality recruiter I'll give him half a point here.  For all the talk about his ability to recruit, no huge names pop out.
2.  ...a solid D-I coaching background (top-ranking assistant at a highly successful high D-I program, success at mid-major or high-major level as head coach, or both)  Another half point.  I suppose you can give some credit for helping build A&M.  At MU too short a time to get much redit for anything.
3.  ...a relatively young/energetic guy Full marks here
4.  ...someone who gives me every reason to think he'd be happy staying at Marquette for at least 5 years.  There is NO reason to think that if he is successful here he won't bail at the first opportunity.
5.  ...a demonstrated ability to develop talent No evidence of this
6.  ...a guy who is clean in terms of the NCAA  He is this so far, but not much chance for him to do anything dirty
7.  ...a guy who is a solid in-game coach (this is not higher on the list because it is very hard to find in conjunction with above).  No evidence of this

He doesn't fit a lot of the criteria I was looking for.  The only thing good I can say about him for sure is that he is oung and energetic.  I suppose that's higher on my criteria list than it would be for a lot of you.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.