[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I didn't think anything could've trumped the pain of Lopez's prayer...  (Read 932 times)

Wade for President

• All American
...but I guess I was severely mistaken.  The news of Crean's departure was honestly the LAST thing in the world I thought I would be forced to deal with today. 

As an incredibly passionate MU grad (from southern Indiana), the number of text messages I've received in the last few hours has to have my wireless plan maxed out.  Messages from fellow MU fans voicing their disbelief, messages from IU fans gloating about their new hire, and all in between.

Obviously everyone who visit's this board (whether they post or not) is emotionally committed to the success of Marquette basketball.  Hell, if you're anything like me, MU bball is addiction...and at times, an unhealthy addiction.

With all of that being said, I'm incredibly shocked, disappointed, angry and let down.  I can't even begin to imagine what Wes, DJ, and Jerel are feeling right now.

I think the most difficult thing for me to grasp (and for most people on this board) is the impressions that this leaves on the MU program.  Yes, we're heading in the right direction, great conference, The Al, etc.....but we just lost a coach who we thought was committed to the program.  A coach who was committed to resurrecting the standard that Al set in the 70's. 

After giving Crean EVERYTHING...he still left.  I was raised a Hoosiers fan, but this isn't my Dad's Hoosiers team.  This is a program that is riddled with potential sanctions and is but a shadow of it's old self.

This isn't Darrin Horn leaving Western Kentucky...this isn't Jim Larranaga leaving George Mason.  Those schools unfortunately have to face the fact that you make a good run in the tourney and you could lose your coach.  With regards to the UNC's, Duke's, UCLA's of the world...I just thought we were past that.

At the end of the day Tom Crean, all I have to ask is why?

mwbauer7

• All American
Nice post. Sums up the feelings nicely. If I may add:

kicked in the balls by:

Reese Gains
Francisco Garcia
Jerry Smith
Lopez #2
and now Indiana University

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Boy i am really surprised you feel that way...I felt 100x worse after we lost to georgetown and 200x worse when we lost to stanford than i feel right now.  Crean was a caretaker to an long time Mu traditon of a great basketball program.  Crean added to it like many of his predesesors.  But he was not the end all, he was a very poor coach and not the best recruiter.  There is a risk we do worse but a tremendous opportunity to do significantly better.

Wade for President

• All American
There is a risk we do worse but a tremendous opportunity to do significantly better.

I agree with that sentiment but just fear the present situation.  What about the momentum/team attitude for next year?  Where is everyone's head going to be at come next season?  Does McNeal/James lose motivation next year and try to impress NBA scouts with their individual play (don't think that will be the case)?  What happens to our apparent solid recruiting class?

In time, I will try and understand this move...just too soon to give any praise and respect to Crean.

feedback