[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Radio says Crean to Indiana  (Read 15939 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: ESPN Radio says Crean to Indiana
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:58 AM »
Yeah...thanks for bumping this.  The one thing we don't discuss often enough here is Tom Crean.

Not intended to compare Buzz & Crean... more of a pleasant feeling on the confidence in the program a few years after what appeared at the time to be imminent decline in the program.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
Someone was way off on Lavin

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »

TJ

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
I notice no one pointed out my folly 3 years ago...

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »
Speaking of Lavin...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/04/08/steve.lavin.cancer.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Lavin has prostate cancer, will continue coaching St. John's

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »
PRN's "we'll never set another State of Wisconsin attendance record" line is still funny today.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
Phil Jackson was an assistant before unexpectedly getting his first big time HC gig. Sometimes people just need a chance and their star rises.

Buzz Williams has seen his star rise after getting their chance.

Similarly, sometimes people get their chance and then blow it. Sometimes people's star dims because of bad choices.Tom Crean is 28-66 at Indiana University. This past year his team lost 10 of its last 11 games.
We Are Marquette

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »
Crean probably has to get to the Elite Eight by Cody Zeller's junior year at minimum.  Might even have to be the Final Four.  Otherwise, they might finally ask Brad Stevens to come a few miles south. 

No more excuses for Crean in my opinion.  It actually seems so long ago that he was here.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »
I have been told by a reliable source that the boosters at IU feel that Crean has 2 more years or they want a change. Keep in mind this is from the boosters' perspective, not the University's. But we all know the influence boosters can have within programs. In any event, take it for what it is worth.

Common sense alone would dictate that he won't get forever to bring the program around. And with the emergence of Butler, I think the job is even harder than before. Indiana U is behind Butler and Purdue as a marquee program in the state of Indiana right now.

We Are Marquette

MU4Ever

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 11:11:54 PM »
I am far from being a Tom Crean fan but he took over a program that was dumb enough to hire a guy previous to Crean who had baggage from Oklahoma and then expects Crean to recruit effectively right away. It doesn't quite happen that way. Actually, look at Oklahoma's program as a prime example with Samson then Capel both trouble makers. That is not a very attractive for anyone to coach or go play at right now!

Crean has a very solid class and will build off of it. He still can't coach worth a darn though and maybe that is what catches up with him.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »
I am far from being a Tom Crean fan but he took over a program that was dumb enough to hire a guy previous to Crean who had baggage from Oklahoma and then expects Crean to recruit effectively right away. It doesn't quite happen that way. Actually, look at Oklahoma's program as a prime example with Samson then Capel both trouble makers. That is not a very attractive for anyone to coach or go play at right now!

Crean has a very solid class and will build off of it. He still can't coach worth a darn though and maybe that is what catches up with him.

I, too, am not a fan, mainly because of the chickensh*t way he left MU.  He has had an awesome recruiting class, and looks like he is following up with another.  If you are an IU fan with any perspective, you gotta be excited.  In game coaching still an issue.  Usually had a good game plan to start, but failed miserably at in game adjustments.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
Let. It. Go.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
Let. It. Go.

Dude.  He was our coach for 9 years.   There will be interest, for at least as long as he is coaching high D1 basketball.  I am tired of the Buzz vs Crean stuff too, but commentary with a semblance of balance is interesting.  A good punch line is always appreciated too.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
I've always said that Crean's hire was primarily to lessen the penalty from NCAA; then, to rouse the fanbase, recruit solidly, and get the program back on track.

He's definitely not going to be a lifer at IU if his top ranked teams don't win in the next three years. What can extend his term at IU would be getting to the NCAAs in the next two years.

Creek's injury was a big blow to Crean, as was the transfer of Jordan Crawford.
So was the transfer of Nick Williams.
SS Marquette

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
Let. It. Go.
agree totally.  aren't we over this yet?

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
I, too, am not a fan, mainly because of the chickensh*t way he left MU.  He has had an awesome recruiting class, and looks like he is following up with another.  If you are an IU fan with any perspective, you gotta be excited.  In game coaching still an issue.  Usually had a good game plan to start, but failed miserably at in game adjustments.

This ^  

But what bugs many far more than his lack of coaching ability is the lack of player development.   Nobody is really getting any better, and the big men are getting worse.

And then acknowledge the fact that all 3 of his  teams at IU thus far have quit on him and you have a very unhappy fan base.   Excuse time is over, he needs to show something next season or his seat will get red hot.

D Wade made this man a lot of money, I hope Crean is sending him a XMas card every year.
"I better walk before they make me run"

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »

Common sense alone would dictate that he won't get forever to bring the program around. And with the emergence of Butler, I think the job is even harder than before. Indiana U is behind Butler and Purdue as a marquee program in the state of Indiana right now.

I think you can add Notre Dame to that list, too.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »
I think you can add Notre Dame to that list, too.

Absolutely. Didn't mean to slight ND. Even with a bad outcome in this year's tournament, Brey has that program in great shape.
We Are Marquette

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
Don't forget the Sycamores.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
Don't forget the Sycamores.

The Sycamores made the tournament, if I remember correctly.
We Are Marquette

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
They did. That was half in jest, half serious.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2011, 09:50:37 PM »
Dude.  He was our coach for 9 years.   There will be interest, for at least as long as he is coaching high D1 basketball.  I am tired of the Buzz vs Crean stuff too, but commentary with a semblance of balance is interesting.  A good punch line is always appreciated too.

+1
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
Cain, the man injected himself into every MU conversation during his 9 years.  He made it all about him. 

Pardon us if we continue to honor his wishes and keep talking about him.  He made himself bigger than the program, the downside is a few fans will forever take shots at him.  Deal with it.  With TC, being the coach wasn't enough.  He created the monster.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2011, 12:33:30 AM »
Can we just sticky this topic and merge all new Crean-based posts to it?   I'd clean up the boards.

To keep on topic;  I think that if Crean stayed at MU we'd have at least 3 new banners at the BC.  How many banners has Buzz put up?!!?