Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I hope we don't expect Lazar to be a key today  (Read 2894 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
I hope we don't expect Lazar to be a key today
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:54:22 AM »
We usually say that Lazar Hayward is a key for us in all of our big games.  I hope he isn't a primary option in the half court offense today.  He is completely ineffective in the half court against good interior defenders with size.  He is not super strong nor a great leaper, and he just can't get the ball to the rim against guys like the Lopez brothers, let alone make shots.

If he is a key, it will have to be on the perimeter.  I'd like to see us play a couple of our bigs (Burke and Barro, Barro and Mbakwe, etc).  I think Crean might lean on Fitzgerald more than usual today.

Hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this game.  Someone please make me feel better!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

romey

• All American
Re: I hope we don't expect Lazar to be a key today
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:57:30 AM »
I think you're right about Lazar vs. strong "bigs".  He has not fared well against those types of players this year.  We need to hit some outside shots today and spread the defense out.  Fitz, Cubes and Acker, to some extent, need to step it up from the perimeter.

Pardner

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
I agree. Lazar, Wes and the bench will be needed today to hit their mid range jumpers and treys.  Good news is that it will be an uptempo game and we can exploit their guards with our pressure D.  Bringing Trevor back looks better for this match-up as we will need to go deep due to foul trouble on our bigs. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »
Lazaar will need to knock down some 3's today, so from that standpoint, he will be a key.

romey

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:08:48 PM »
Pardner, it's interesting you mention trevor.  I was thinking about how he has contributed since he was activated, and whether, in hindsight, it was wise to not keep him redshirted.  He has not had the impact I was hoping he would have had.  Now, he's had some moments, but with such limited opportunities (and I'm not necessarily arguing he should have had more PT) his impact has been minimal.  BUT, this may be a game where he can justify the decision.  I tell you, if he is a factor in this game - by slowing down the Lopez twins, and we get to the Sweet 16, then the move to activate him will look like pure genius.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
I really think Fitz is a huge factor in this game. He's at least 3 inches taller than Hayward and isn't as easy to shoot over for the Lopez twins. If Fitz can hit 4 or 5 three's for us today and play sound defense it could really propel us to a win. He can't commit those dumb fouls that he does. He just has to be able to make one of those Lopez twins earn their points on offense.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
I really think Fitz is a huge factor in this game. He's at least 3 inches taller than Hayward and isn't as easy to shoot over for the Lopez twins. If Fitz can hit 4 or 5 three's for us today and play sound defense it could really propel us to a win. He can't commit those dumb fouls that he does. He just has to be able to make one of those Lopez twins earn their points on offense.

If Fitz hits 3 3's, we'll win. If he hits 4-5 we'll win by a dozen or more.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
Pardner, it's interesting you mention trevor.  I was thinking about how he has contributed since he was activated, and whether, in hindsight, it was wise to not keep him redshirted.  He has not had the impact I was hoping he would have had.  Now, he's had some moments, but with such limited opportunities (and I'm not necessarily arguing he should have had more PT) his impact has been minimal.  BUT, this may be a game where he can justify the decision.  I tell you, if he is a factor in this game - by slowing down the Lopez twins, and we get to the Sweet 16, then the move to activate him will look like pure genius.

His impact was not necessarily the deciding factor. We seem to forget that these players are not robots. The kid wanted to play this year, he busted his ass, and Crean rewarded him for it. It is unfair to judge Trevor or TCs decision solely on his impact on the floor.

romey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
MUSF - I agree with you on that point.  But I guess from a fan standpoint (albeit maybe a selfish standpoint) today could be huge.  Thanks for calling me on that one.  You're right - it's really more about the kid, and what's best for him.  But from a fan's eye view - I'd love for him to have an impact today!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »
Plus TM said he doesn't want to be here for 5 years.  If he's healthy, I hope he and all our players can contribute to the best of their ability. Let's get everyone firing on all cylinders and kick the Cardinal right outta that place!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 04:31:33 PM »
We have as much a chance of winning this game as West Virginia does against Duke.....

Hey WAIT......Duke was 3 point favorite, and Stanford is a 3 point favorite......

And anyway, Stanford is evil and must be destroyed!  And GOOD always wins over evil :)

We CAN do this....

GO MARQUETTE!!!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:33:42 PM by Daniel »

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
I expect Burke to have the kind of game like he had against Wisconsin.  That would be sweet!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
I think we'll see the Killer B's for Marquette - all in there at one time or another - Burke, Barro Blackledge and mBakwe (haha)

Well, off to Moretti's in Chicago to watch (hopefully) the game.

feedback