Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rick Bozich...Louisville-Courier Journa...Crean and Miller top choices for IU  (Read 5258 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/bozich/2008/03/more-ncaa-whispers.html

Rumor central.  You can bet if we win tomorrow, they only escalate even more

79Warrior

• All American
http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/bozich/2008/03/more-ncaa-whispers.html

Rumor central.  You can bet if we win tomorrow, they only escalate even more

Can't imagine TC would leave before Wes and Jerel finish their four years. even less likely assuming DJ decides to come back.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Crean's going nowhere. MU is where it's at and I don't think he'd like to clean up after a friend's mess.
SS Marquette

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
I would bet Miller is their top candidate right now and I just don't think Crean would leave for that particular job.

Knight Commission

• All American
IU was paying Sampson $1.6 million. If they want Crean they better belly up.

PuertoRicanNightmare

You can bet Indiana is going to pay huge money for a coach this time around. They need somebody to save their program.

Don't forget, they got Sampson on the cheap because he had problems at Oklahoma. Indiana's AD is on the hotseat to hire somebody that is spotless.

Husker4MU

• Starter
Well, they better not hire Crean.  Remember, he goes tanning, which makes him the devil.

Ok, I'll snap out of Badger fan mode.

nyg

• All American
PRN has it right.  The new head coach at IU will be one of the highest paid in NCAA and they will  make a run at some big name coaches, even though there are some potential penalities.  Subsequent to the Bobby Knight ending, the Mike Davis fiasco and the Sampson matter, the IU AD will have enormous pressure to bring this to a resolution, satisfying the fans, alumni, players and recruits.  IU is still one of the storied programs in college basketball.  With DJ White graduating and Eric Gordon probably going to NBA draft, the roster is thin.  This could all change if Indiana makes a significant final four run and the current coach (Dan D.) becomes a favorite.  I don't see that happening.  Should be interesting story to monitor.   

caltruda

I think Miller is definitely on the short list... along with Few (maybe it's just time for him to change venues), Baylor's Scott Drew and a bit of a reach, but maybe Scott Sutton from Oral Roberts (possible plateau after three straight NCAA tourney appearances). But that's pure guesswork on my part.

Daniel

• All American
I think Crean's heart is with MU - but a school with more money and willing to pay it - well - strange things happen sometime.  Didn't bother O'Neil to head to Tennesee for double the money.

I think Crean thinks he got a pretty fair shake at Marquette, with a pretty big long-term contract.  So I hope he stays with us......his work is not finished.....

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Miller is an obvious choice. I wonder if Scott Skiles name will come up as well. I think he would be a great hire. Although, I'm guessing he may be coaching in the NBA again next year, as he clearly got a raw deal from Paxson and the Bulls.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Miller is an obvious choice. I wonder if Scott Skiles name will come up as well. I think he would be a great hire. Although, I'm guessing he may be coaching in the NBA again next year, as he clearly got a raw deal from Paxson and the Bulls.

Skiles has never been a college head coach ... IU will look elsewhere.  Few, TC, Miller or maybe Brownell. Should be entertaining

Pardner

Skiles has never been a college head coach ... IU will look elsewhere.  Few, TC, Miller or maybe Brownell. Should be entertaining

Skiles mentioned as recently as three days ago according to the Chicago Sun Times.  I figure no way TC goes facing two years probation, a short-term AD, free reign at MU and the incoming class he has.  He seems set at MU and has worked hard to get the program where it is.  The nine year magic mark is when coaches start to reap rewards of building.

Spec here but to give you a sense of where IU alum sentiment is...I was talking to an Indiana alum I was with in Omaha who is close to circle of influential alums and he indicated it will be some one close ties to the school (Alford was mentioned as who they should have hired last time--said Sampson hire was split from Day 1).  He seemed to feel that Skiles' ties to MSU was even a negative.   This will be a school hire not an AD one--so squeaky clean (thus, TC would be a good choice, especially after the program's report card that just was released).  School admin was totally embarrassed by the recent troubles which is why they pulled the trigger quickly rather than waiting out the season.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/850016,CST-SPT-skiles19.article

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
Well, IU is a minute away from losing to Arkansas, so the circus will begin spooling up tomorrow.

muhoops1

• All American
OMG!  Coach Crean can finally coach Luke Schessler!  He's awesome.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Here's an interesting name to throw out: Keith Smart, currently an assistant with the Golden State Warriors.

But I think former IU players don't like to do the head coaching at their alma mater (Alford, , save for Dakich (by default).

Interesting tidbit on Dakich:

"His claim to fame was his stellar defense against Michael Jordan in the 1984 East Regional Semifinal. Rumor has it, when informed by coach Bob Knight that he would be defending Jordan, Dakich threw up."

And here's an interesting little circle...

Crean's friend is
Kelvin Sampson, who used to be a head coach at IU, where
Dan Dakich is the current IU coach and former IU player under
Bob Knight, who also coached
Cam Cameron, who used to be the head coach for the Dolphins but is now and assistant under
John Harbaugh, the new head coach for the Baltimore Ravens, who is the brother-in-law of
Tom Crean
SS Marquette

mugrad99

• Team Captain
I'd put $20.00 down on Calipari
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 07:53:15 AM »
Just an educated guess....he's definitely itching to get out of Conference USA

PuertoRicanNightmare

Calipari? You think Indiana wants to get involved with him after the Kelvin Sampson fiasco? There is absolutely ZERO chance of them hiring Calipari.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Calipari? You think Indiana wants to get involved with him after the Kelvin Sampson fiasco? There is absolutely ZERO chance of them hiring Calipari.

agreed.  they need integrity and cleanliness more than anything.    Bennett, Miller, Crean, Brownell, Few, maybe even a Jamie Dixon will pop up on the radar
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:18:10 AM by NYWarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
You guys are missing the other one....Rick Barnes.

Katz is reporting that it's down to two people...both have Final Four experience.

Now, what Katz says is gospel.   ;)

mviale

• All American
rumor has it that Crean wont go anywhere until 4ever plays golf with him.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Crean won't play with 4ever right now, he's still steamed that 4ever picked Kentucky in the pool.

ecompt

• All American
Rumor has it that Tom will take 4ever with him to be his publicist and moderate the IU message boards. :D

MilTown

• Team Captain
Does anyone else listen to sportsnight on AM 720 in Chicago with David Kaplan. It's a great show with great guests. Kaplan is good friends with a lot of people in the industry and a lot of college coaches including Izzo and Bruce Webber to name a couple. He speaks very highly of Crean and is a supporter of the program. A few weeks ago on the show, he said that Crean really wanted the Illinois job when it opened up a few years ago and was very disappointed when he didn't get it. He felt it was the right fit for him. Kaplan also said, he would be shocked if Crean isn't on IU's short list, but he would also be shocked if he left Marquette. Frankly, I would be too.

Not sure what my point is. Just wanted to share.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:38:56 AM by MilTown »

Husker4MU

• Starter
Crean is good friends with Sampson.  That being said, I don't know how/why IU would hire him.

feedback