Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hack-a-Burke  (Read 2090 times)

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
Hack-a-Burke
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »
So we all saw the off-the-ball fouls committed on Burke in the closing minutes.  It's obvious to any MU fan those should be intentional fouls, but they are not being called.  We need to adjust.

Why can't we have a strategy for this?  I mean, it's a great chance for Crean to throw the bullsh*t right back at the opposing coach.  If Burke is in there and he sees someone coming to foul him off the ball, as soon as he gets fouled, why doesn't he drop to the floor in a heap and hold his wrist or something?  Fake the injury, then get someone to come off the bench to hit the free throws for him.  After he hits the free throws, put him right back in. 

Someone hinted at this in another post, but I thought it got overlooked.  I think it's a fantastic idea.  You want to play dirty that way, let's throw it right back in their faces and have it backfire on them.

Thoughts? 
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Hack-a-Burke
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »
So we all saw the off-the-ball fouls committed on Burke in the closing minutes.  It's obvious to any MU fan those should be intentional fouls, but they are not being called.  We need to adjust.

Why can't we have a strategy for this?  I mean, it's a great chance for Crean to throw the bullsh*t right back at the opposing coach.  If Burke is in there and he sees someone coming to foul him off the ball, as soon as he gets fouled, why doesn't he drop to the floor in a heap and hold his wrist or something?  Fake the injury, then get someone to come off the bench to hit the free throws for him.  After he hits the free throws, put him right back in. 

Someone hinted at this in another post, but I thought it got overlooked.  I think it's a fantastic idea.  You want to play dirty that way, let's throw it right back in their faces and have it backfire on them.

Thoughts? 

I do not think there was anything "dirty" in the KU strategy. It was actually pretty smart. Why would they foul anyone else? The refs should have called intentional, as it was off the ball.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 11:18:40 AM »
Because that's cheap, and what does that say to Burke? 

We all know he's not the best FT shooter, but how's he gonna gain any confidence if we don't let him take his FTs?  He made half of his FTs, didn't he? 

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:28:57 AM »

Thoughts? 

I do not think there was anything "dirty" in the KU strategy. It was actually pretty smart. Why would they foul anyone else? The refs should have called intentional, as it was off the ball.

That's my point...if those fouls should be called intentional and aren't, why should they be rewarded?
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:41:17 AM »

Thoughts? 

That's my point...if those fouls should be called intentional and aren't, why should they be rewarded?

So you think that crean has some special "Fake an injury!" play call that he decided not to use?  Is this something they practice while he should be shooting free throws?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:54:30 AM »
I cannot believe those were not called intentional fouls.  Horrible officiating, should be 2 shots and are ball, otherwise, WHY HAVE THE DAMN RULE?!
 And I don't care what anybody says, it's complete bush league from Kentucky.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 11:57:09 AM »
you guys must not have seen the other thread...they were playing "west coast rules" i.e., no intentional fouls.

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 12:05:21 PM »
So you think that crean has some special "Fake an injury!" play call that he decided not to use?  Is this something they practice while he should be shooting free throws?
[/quote]

I'm saying this for our future games.  This is the NCAA tournament, where one little mistake or situation like this can make it your last game of the year.  What I'm saying is if Crean has Burke in the game in the final minutes, and he anticipates they will likely try to foul him away from the ball, put that in Burke's head.  "If you think they're intentionally fouling you, drop down and we'll get someone with a much better chance of hitting two free throws in there you." 

Just like when we're up three in the last seconds, you put, "Do not foul" into their heads.  No RawDog, you don't have to practice this.  It's a 5 second conversation in the huddle.

That being said, hopefully our refs going forward learn that is an intenional foul so it'll be a moot point.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:08:03 PM by MUfan2 »