Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: mcneal status?  (Read 3187 times)

mviale

• All American
mcneal status?
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
I heard from chicos that Mcneal was limping bad - is  he ok?

Did chicos get kicked out of the stadium?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: mcneal status?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:45:25 PM »
He tweaked it on the wet floor...a lot of condensation from the ice under the floor.  He was limping noticeably in the second half when he came out.  Obviously he played through it but he was hurting.

I'm guessing it will be fairly sore the next few days.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:33:27 PM »
How they can justify playing like that, with ice creating condensation on the floor, amazes me.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »
so there's ice under the floor why? hockey game there tonight? the AC??  ugh, he did take quite a spill, it was hard to tell from the little screen that anyone was limping  :-\

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
Because it takes weeks to cure the ice, they don't take the ice down until the end of the season.  They put special thick boards over the ice and then lay the bball court on top of that.

Where dual purpose arenas can get into trouble is if the air temperature is at a point where it causes water to coindense on the floor.

Plus the pond is not used to having bball...they only play 2 games a year there

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 08:20:52 PM »
what do you mean by "cure the ice"? get it to freeze?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »
btw - the bradley center basketball floor is built on top of ice too..
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
"on top of" ice? as in, they can put the floor down over the ice? because each time I've been to the bradley center early enough (usually when they let students in early due to weather) they've put the floor down on bare concrete.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:55 PM »
"on top of" ice? as in, they can put the floor down over the ice? because each time I've been to the bradley center early enough (usually when they let students in early due to weather) they've put the floor down on bare concrete.

The you haven't been there that early b/c they're putting it down over ice, always.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »
yes - on top of ice.  they put some layer down on top of the ice and before the basketball floor - that kinda looks like concrete which is probably what you're seeing.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »
yes - on top of ice.  they put some layer down on top of the ice and before the basketball floor - that kinda looks like concrete which is probably what you're seeing.

that's probable

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »
so, Honda center needs that sandwich layer, is that what we're saying?  b/c i don't recall anyone slipping in the BC for that reason lately

In other news, DANG BYU why did you blow my bracket!! ugh

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »
so, Honda center needs that sandwich layer, is that what we're saying?  b/c i don't recall anyone slipping in the BC for that reason lately

In other news, DANG BYU why did you blow my bracket!! ugh

they probably have that layer already.. maybe it's not as good.. or maybe it's just that southern california has higher humidity and temperatures to deal with than the bradley center usually does during basketball season and perhaps their climate control system is not as good.

FYI - the Kohl center is the same way.. in fact, MANY arenas do this.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »
The boards they put over the ice at the BC are roughly an inch thick and are similar in color to concrete.  Prior to letting people into the arena before games the BC crew will tape gaps in the boards and they fill some of the corners if the boards that get rounded off.  If you look closely you can still find some gaps that go missed and actually touch the ice beneath.  Overall they do a great job though filling in gaps.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:48:53 PM »
so the Honda center is 1˚ly a hockey venue?  i was wondering who it "belonged" to.  clearly the BC is a vet at rearranging their layouts-- I wouldn't know they had ice except for the fact that the admirals play there ;)

also... was this a problem in San Diego?  i think we played at their own bball court, not a corporate one w/ hockey commitments??  just seems dangerous/irresponsible of the Honda center to me to have a slippery court like that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 09:01:33 PM »
The Honda Center (formerly the "Pond") is primarily a hockey arena.  It's about 12 or 13 years old if I remember correctly.  It used to play host to about 10 Clippers games a year, but now it's only for the Stanley Cup Champion Ducks, the John Wooden Classic and CIF (high school) championships.  The globebtrotters and such will play there as well.

Nice arena, great for hockey and not bad for basketball, but they are not used to having the court in there would be my speculation.

The pads they put down are about 3/4" to an inch thick.  The ones I've seen are almost like a styrofoam compound except they are very durable.

As for "curing the ice", when hockey arenas lay the ice they obviously poor water in and then let it set.  Then they paint the lines, logos, etc then add more water to seal in those colors.  When I worked at the Pond they called this "curing the ice" which took, if I recall, 10 days to two weeks.  That way the ice was in usable condition and at NHL quality (that being said, the Pond ice isn't that good by NHL standards because the ambient temperature isn't ideal).

So removing the ice altogether is not what arenas do because of the cost and time to put a new ice surface in.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »
So is McNeal okay or what?

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:19 PM »

So removing the ice altogether is not what arenas do because of the cost and time to put a new ice surface in.

oh, I wouldn't expect that much of them -- maybe better insulation next time around would be nice, though!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »

in fact, 7 of the 8 first round arenas (alltell arena in little rock is the only exception as Arkansans could probably care less about hockey) can accommodate hockey too.. for sure 6 of those build the basketball floor on top of the ice (one arena detailed that they use a 1-inch think panel of fiberglass in between).  the only one of those that I am not sure about is the BJCC arena in Birmingham.. they do ice floors but not sure if they build the other floors on top of it or if they melt the ice down every time.

I am pretty sure I saw a time-lapse video of the MU floor being set up at the bradley center once.. not sure where I saw it though... it was pretty cool.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
to cut them a little slack, Milwaukee is 30's or colder outside most of the season with a relatively lower humidity. Anaheim is at least in the 50's most of the season with higher humidity because of the increase in temperature. this is naturally going to cause more moisture than here at the BC. The one thing they could do is thicken the insulation layer but then you have to take into account how the seats, etc that sit on the ice are adjusted by this height difference.  They could probably drop the indoor temperature a little to try and cut down on the moisture but that's about it.

feedback