Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: dont you love how Pitt is the flavor of the month  (Read 2166 times)

mviale

• All American
dont you love how Pitt is the flavor of the month
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:34:46 PM »
Hell - they were so lucky we self-destructed in the 1st half
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Pardner

Re: dont you love how Pitt is the flavor of the month
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »

Frankly, that was their plan to hit us hard at the get-go and send us backpedaling just like MSU, Bama, et al.  Loved the way we fought our way back.  You could see the fire in JM's eyes all week.  We need to get out of the box on Thursday, getting our energy on D versus sitting back on our heels.  Love that TC is taking them out early to get acclimated. 

I think the four games in four nights will take its toll on Pitt.  The break will do us well to give the boys a chance to recharge.  We should gain confidence and an edge from storming back.  We will go as far as Wes, Lazar and dCubes can take us.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:48:52 AM »
Well, I think it's time to look beyond the conference tournament now.  We lost, and Pittsburgh played well and deserved it.  The NCAA tourney is what matters most of course anyway.  I think we need the best play from Dominic and Lazar in order to fare well early.  Jerel has proved he can play in big games, hell even Matthews vs. GU.  We just need to step up as a team and play good basketball.  Crean needs to get a lineup straight down-low, because it was pretty messed up during the conf. tourney: playing Blackledge a lot when Burke should be playing over him etc.

Marquette06

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »
Crean needs to get a lineup straight down-low, because it was pretty messed up during the conf. tourney: playing Blackledge a lot when Burke should be playing over him etc.

I thought Crean's subs down-low was a little strange.  It seemed different from all the other games of the season and then changed for every game in the BET.  Even when I thought he found a match up that worked in the first half I didn't see it again in the 2nd.  Personally, I've never been a fan of Burke and I like the energy that Blackledge brings (he's just got to keep that energy under control).  I'm not complaining (because it worked) but I just thought it was different. 

GO MARQUETTE, GO GO GO GO!!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
I hope all the BE teams go far, I'll be cheering for all of them.

In regards to Pitt, with playing four games in four days, one thing I don't think people are talking about is that not only did they play four games in four days, but that they got shipped out to Denver. For a team that had to play that stretch, that was the worst possible location for them to be sent to. I realize they're playing indoors, but for anyone who's done anything athletic out there, it takes some getting used to. Don't know if it will be a factor or not, but I think Oral Roberts will give them a game Thursday afternoon.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
We can lease them our oxygen chamber
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »
That should get them used to the Denver air

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
Crean needs to get a lineup straight down-low, because it was pretty messed up during the conf. tourney: playing Blackledge a lot when Burke should be playing over him etc.

I thought Crean's subs down-low was a little strange.  It seemed different from all the other games of the season and then changed for every game in the BET.  Even when I thought he found a match up that worked in the first half I didn't see it again in the 2nd.  Personally, I've never been a fan of Burke and I like the energy that Blackledge brings (he's just got to keep that energy under control).  I'm not complaining (because it worked) but I just thought it was different. 

GO MARQUETTE, GO GO GO GO!!

The unfortunate thing about all of our big guys is that they mainly possess just one talent.  Ousmane is probably our best scorer down low, but I attribute almost all of that to James and his ability to find a man open when he drives.  Blackledge is obviously our athletic big man.  Mbakwe is our rebounding big man, and Burke is just kind of there.  The reason I can't stand Blackledge is his free throw shooting.  I like his energy as well but his offensive game is very limited and he is too skinny to play most big men.  Mbakwe will be better next year.  I just wish we had one good all-around big man.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 03:23:02 PM »
I actually wish Blackledge would get in the game more, there isn't a time when he makes a play where I scratch my head to the extent of Burke/Barro.  Blackledge to me has been surprising this year for me, his athletic ability is something no other big has on our team, and creates matchup problems for teams that have the traditional big man.  I really think if we get past Kentucky, against Stnaford, to pull one of the Lopez behemoths out of the lane would be fantastic. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I actually wish Blackledge would get in the game more, there isn't a time when he makes a play where I scratch my head to the extent of Burke/Barro.  Blackledge to me has been surprising this year for me, his athletic ability is something no other big has on our team, and creates matchup problems for teams that have the traditional big man.  I really think if we get past Kentucky, against Stnaford, to pull one of the Lopez behemoths out of the lane would be fantastic. 

My only complaints of Larry are free throw shooting and rebounding.  He seems to go for the block way to often leaving his man for an easy putback or dump feed from the driver.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
When the team was doing warmups about an hour before the Georgetown game Trend hit 12 straight 3 pointers that were a good step and a half behind the line and then missed one and made 5 in a row after that and stopped.  I realize warmups with nobody on you are different than a game situation, but he was doing them while receiving a pass as he moved around the perimeter.  I don't understand how he can do that and then miss so many free throws...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »

Lucky, i guess so???????  not sure why you think that. The won the BE tourney. Give them their due. They were not the same team we beat in milwaukee by a long shot.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »
Let's not forget that Pitt was a top ten team early in the season and has the talent, size, and effort to play with anybody. They are finally healthy and match-up well with anybody. They could cause serious problems for Memphis because they will get after them physically and force them to make free throws which could be very problematic for Memphis. To me, they are a logical pick to make some noise in the tourney. However, they have been known to lay a few eggs in the big dance. They are definitely an intriguing team.