Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Tidbits from Selection Sunday  (Read 1210 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Tidbits from Selection Sunday
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:00:05 AM »
Tidbits from Selection Sunday

Written by: Todd Rosiak

To be honest, we covered all the bases in our NCAA tournament section -- which I think turned out great, by the way -- so I'll just provide a couple morsels here to fill in the gaps.

-- First thing is the history behind the MU-Kentucky series in the NCAA tournament. The teams have faced each other nine times previously, which is the most in history. Next-closest is San Francisco-UCLA at seven meetings, Kentucky-Utah at six, and then seven other teams who've faced each other five times apiece.

-- MU hasn't practiced since returning from New York, but will hit the court once again tomorrow. The plan is to leave for Anaheim sometime Tuesday morning, then practice out there Tuesday and Wednesday (open practice).

"The most important thing is we get our work done tonight and tomorrow, and we can give it to the players in a real good, strong dose tomorrow so they have an understanding what Kentucky's all about," said coach Tom Crean. "We have not practiced since we got home from New York because we needed the rest, and it's not about long practices; it's about focused practices."

The early start time (1:30 p.m. CST) wasn't to MU's liking, but with UCLA out there as well, it was a no-brainer the Bruins would wind up in the marquee game. After three consecutive nightcaps in NYC last week, I think I deserve a break, anyway.

It's also another Thursday game, which according to Crean is all MU has played in its five appearances under him in the NCAAs.

-- Crean was asked if he'd show the players any of MU's Elite Eight victory over Kentucky from the 2003 tournament.

"It's possible, but with a short week...you know what? Maybe we will," he said. "That team (Kentucky) had been behind all of 11 seconds in the 26-game winning streak, I think, that they had at that point. Our guys were so ready to play that game. I think our guys are ready to play this game as well. But we might have to show a few clips from that game as well."

Jerel McNeal said he remembers seeing it.

"It's one of the most famous games in Marquette history," he said. "D-Wade going off with a triple-double, taking those guys to that next step. I still remember watching that game, being back home and everything. It feels like we get the chance to come out and write another chapter in Marquette history."

-- For once, the connection between MU and its first-round opponent has nothing to do with Tom Crean.

This time, it's assistant Buzz Williams, who worked for Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie for two seasons when Gillispie was at Texas A&M.

Williams said after the selection show that he has a good handle on what Gillispie likes to do, but not so much on his personnel at Kentucky just yet.

"I don't know how it impacts us as far as us winning the game," Williams said of his ties. "I'm completely familiar with what it is he does, how he coaches. But I can't tell you that I'm completely familiar with their personnel, and the changes that he's had to make in regards to the complexion of their team without Patrick Patterson."

Williams also said there will be no time for personal feelings once the two set foot on the court on Thursday.

"If anybody in Lexington is asking Billy Gillispie, 'Hey, what about that kid that used to work for you?' he's going to tell them the same thing," said Williams. "Hey, he's my guy, I love him, but that doesn't have anything to do with us doing the best that we can for the coaches and the kids in the program."

Williams said he hadn't spoken to Gillispie since prior to the Big East tournament, and doesn't know if he'll hear from him in advance of the NCAAs.

"I don't know if he'll call me and giggle," he said. "My text messages have been going crazy. But I don't know if he'll call or not. I know I'm going to go watch some tape on them now, though."

-- I'll be chatting at 8 p.m. Tuesday from Anaheim, so get your questions in soon.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/03/16/tidbits-from-selection-sunday.aspx