[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette a 6 seed against Kentucky  (Read 13825 times)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Kentucky is a fantastic matchup for us in the first round
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »
Especially considering we could have drawn K-State, I will take MU's chances against UK.  UK is without their best player, Patterson, who by the way, was a post player, and they have trouble handling the ball and scoring.  Lack of strong post presence and turnover prone plays right into MU's hands.

Stanford will be a very tough matchup.  But guess what folks, that is the second round of the tournament.  You have to sack up, quit crying, and play whomever you draw.  Yes, we will struggle with their bigs.  However, we can run with them.

Also, Knight and Bilas like us to play well in that match-up, and they know what they are talking about.

First things first, let's take care of Kentucky.  Can Marquette apply for honorary membership in the SEC considering this will be about the ninth time that we will play UK in the NCAA tournament?

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Marquette a 6 seed against Kentucky
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »
Kentucky is still our bitch.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 06:16:19 PM »
Kentucky is still our bitch.

PREACH.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »
Especially considering we could have drawn K-State, I will take MU's chances against UK.  UK is without their best player, Patterson, who by the way, was a post player, and they have trouble handling the ball and scoring.  Lack of strong post presence and turnover prone plays right into MU's hands.

Stanford will be a very tough matchup.  But guess what folks, that is the second round of the tournament.  You have to sack up, quit crying, and play whomever you draw.  Yes, we will struggle with their bigs.  However, we can run with them.

Also, Knight and Bilas like us to play well in that match-up, and they know what they are talking about.

First things first, let's take care of Kentucky.

Well said

TJ

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 06:23:14 PM »
I'm very happy with getting a 6.  I'm fine with Kentucky - should be a game, but something we can handle if we play well.  A little more worried about Standford and their 2 trees in the post, but like someone said earlier, we can beat anybody if we play well.  Let's just go out there and play well!

Also I'm very glad we're playing Thursday/Sat - I am going to Tampa to watch Fri/Sat games so I now I can see the whole MU game!

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »
just quickly looking at the brackets, i think MU got one of the better placements for making it to the Sweet 16.  they're matched up against the weakest of the #3 seeds (Xavier, Wisc, & Louisville being the others).  Kentucky is strong, but i just have a feeling the push they had was to just make the tournament.  Stanford is a team that you just need to make them run, and not set up a half court game; the Lopez twins are a force down low.  Stanford will have a following, but that's still UCLA and USC county.

the only placement that i think is better for making it to the Sweet 16 is the Notre Dame v. Geoge Mason & Wash St v. Winthrop bracket.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »
please explain, they have just as spaz of a coach then us (he just told his player to SWAT a FT, WHAT!)  ....

off topic a bit, but I LOVED THAT CALL!  if billy knew that was a technical he wouldn't have done it, but the premise of that call was phenominal.  he wanted to dictate how that game was going to end, just like when a coach fouls when his team is up by 3 inthe closing seconds.  great coaches dictate!

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »
just quickly looking at the brackets, i think MU got one of the better placements for making it to the Sweet 16.  they're matched up against the weakest of the #3 seeds (Xavier, Wisc, & Louisville being the others).  Kentucky is strong, but i just have a feeling the push they had was to just make the tournament.  Stanford is a team that you just need to make them run, and not set up a half court game; the Lopez twins are a force down low.  Stanford will have a following, but that's still UCLA and USC county.

the only placement that i think is better for making it to the Sweet 16 is the Notre Dame v. Geoge Mason & Wash St v. Winthrop bracket.
Is Xavier a weaker 3 seed than Stanford??

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »
I'm going! Already got tix confirm from mu.  Second year in a row playing at venue nearest me.  Ucla will probably get the primerime slot, so I expect our pods to be day games(along with the Stanford game.

Final Four, how did you get tix so fast?  Can you send me a PM with details please? 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
Yeah - and we have Digger and Vitale saying that KY will knock us off.  Thatnk God Bilas knows a lot more that those two.
Whew.  It will be a tough game though - no easy win.
GO MARQUETTE!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »
Isn't Stanford a lot like Notre Dame? But let's worry about Kentucky first.

They have 2 Harangodys...

Actually they don't, those guys are good but nowhere near Harangody.  One averages 10 points a game and is pretty soft, the other about 18.  Their guards are their achilles heel.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »

Is Xavier a weaker 3 seed than Stanford??

i don't think so.  i've watched both on tv, and in my opinion i think Xavier is stronger than Stanford.  but if you let the Lopezs dictate the post, then it's going to be a long day.

CambridgeJohn

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
Why does MU always get the Thursday daytime slot??

Let's focus on KY and wait to discuss Stanford. 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
Can everyone PLEASE stop talking about Stanford! 

Why?

Well.....it seems as if there's another opponent to beat first....just bad karma IMO.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »
Can everyone PLEASE stop talking about Stanford!

Why?

Well.....it seems as if there's another opponent to beat first....just bad karma IMO.

Any maybe because the team has laid an egg in every one of their first round matchups under Crean*

I don't like the Kentucky matchup.  They have a lot of the same strengths as UConn, Louisville, and Georgetown.  Oh, and they also get to the line a lot, which isn't good for a team that fouls too much. 

*counts Holy Cross '03 as an egg
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2008, 08:02:07 PM »
You count a first-round win in the NCAA as "laying an egg"?  Wow, you have some high standards.  You forget that Holy Cross played Kansas and Kentucky just as tough in the first rounds the previous two years.

Also, how does Kentucky have the same strengths as UL, UConn, or Georgetown?  Have you watched UK play this year?  Do you know that their best player and post presence, Patterson is out for the season?  Also, how they have a seven-man rotation and are as thin as a sheet of magazine paper?

Look at their season, and not the name on the jersey.

Really, we match up extremely well with UK, particularly one missing Patterson.

Sack up.  It's tournament time.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »
I don't like the Kentucky matchup.  They have a lot of the same strengths as UConn, Louisville, and Georgetown. 

No they don't. They're nothing like those teams.
With Patterson, and probably Meeks, out, UK has almost no frontcourt production. Their leading frontcourt player in this game, Perry Stevenson, averaged 5.8 ppg and 5.1 boards and is 6-foot-9, 200. Not exactly an intimidating presence like Thabeet or Hibbert.
Their other likely frontcourt starter, Mark Coury, averaged 2.0 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

One more thing ... Kentucky ranked 7th in the 12-team SEC in free throw attempts. In fact, on the season, they shot 63 fewer free throws than their opponents. I'm not sure I'd consider that getting to the line "a lot"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 08:13:13 PM by Pakuni »

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 08:06:51 PM »
no secret about the tickets- I am a season ticket holder so I recieved a post season order form few weeks ago- got confirm last week that if mu is there, I get two tixs to Anaheim, two tixs to phoenix , and four tixs to final four

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 08:11:14 PM »
yes.  Against Holy Cross, the team (minus Diener) came out extremely flat.  We needed heroics from Diener and Chapman to defeat a fourteen seed.

Here is what Kentucky does well.

Field goal percentage defense, especially 2-point baskets.  And they block a lot of shots.  That's /exactly/ what UConn, Louisville, and Georgetown all do well.

They also get to the line a lot, where they shoot over 70%.  That's not good for a team like Marquette that fouls too much.

The key difference is that KY has much greater weaknesses.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »
One more thing ... Kentucky ranked 7th in the 12-team SEC in free throw attempts. In fact, on the season, they shot 63 fewer free throws than their opponents. I'm not sure I'd consider that getting to the line "a lot"

Kentucky also plays one of the slowest paces in D1 (64 possessions / game), which is 281st.  They have a Free Throw Rate (FTA / FGA) of 30%, which is #25 in the country.

On a per-possession view of Free Throws, they do get to the line a lot.  Thank you for allowing me to demonstrate why traditional statistics are limited.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »
The lesson here, clearly, is: NEVER QUESTION THE SUGAR  ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »

Kentucky also plays one of the slowest paces in D1 (64 possessions / game), which is 281st.  They have a Free Throw Rate (FTA / FGA) of 30%, which is #25 in the country.

On a per-possession view of Free Throws, they do get to the line a lot.  Thank you for allowing me to demonstrate why traditional statistics are limited.

Getting to the free throw line "a lot" and having a high rate of free throws attempted per field goal attempted is not the same thing.
It's akin to saying a batter with .300 average "gets a lot of hits", ignoring the fact he has only 30 hits in 100 at bats.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »

Getting to the free throw line "a lot" and having a high rate of free throws attempted per field goal attempted is not the same thing.
It's akin to saying a batter with .300 average "gets a lot of hits", ignoring the fact he has only 30 hits in 100 at bats.

to stick my nose in on this....

but that batter who is 30 out of 100 won't be ranked until he reaches a certain number of at-bats. 

without hitting stats like Sugar, the educated assumtion (if there is such a thing) would say that UK would need to reach a specific mark to qualify as #? in the country, as most other % stats.

murambler

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2008, 10:34:26 PM »
A simply fact trumps the statisics:

Patrick Patterson and his 16.4 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks/gm, are all gone.  The same is true about his 119 free throw attempts and Kentucky's ability to throw it into the post and eat up time.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 07:21:53 AM »
A simply fact trumps the statisics:

Patrick Patterson and his 16.4 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks/gm, are all gone.  The same is true about his 119 free throw attempts and Kentucky's ability to throw it into the post and eat up time.

Average Free Throw Rate for Kentucky in March = 51%.  They're still getting to the line at a high rate without Patterson.

Kentucky is not a good team, but they do some things well.  The things that they do well are a bad matchup for Marquette.

Luckily for us, they turn the ball over at a high rate and aren't very good at rebounding.