Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I pray Lunardi is wrong...MU vs Arizona in Anaheim  (Read 3667 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I pray Lunardi is wrong...MU vs Arizona in Anaheim
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:25:05 AM »
It will be about 85% Wildcat fans there.  That would not be good.

He has Pitt all the way up to a 3 seed. which is pretty incredible.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
Re: I pray Lunardi is wrong...MU vs Arizona in Anaheim
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Chico's I thought lower seeded teams werent supposed to get home court advantage???

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
ANAHEIM IS EVIL!!!

ech

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:17:27 AM »
i think the only "protected" seeds are 1-4.

the one downside of such a good and deep league is that a couple of teams from the big east are going to be wedged into some tough travel assignments.  truthfully, there really is very little difference between the top 7 big east schools.  all are in the top 30 rpi and have excellent resumes.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
for what its worth, cbs has us in as a 7 seed

romey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »
I think 7 is too low.  I was talking to a fellow alum who was at the tourney just before the Pitt game and we got into the seeding debate.  We said, "Isn't always funny how if we feel like we're a 5 to 7 seed, we end with the 7, or a 6 to 8 we end up with the 8".  I think we should be a 6 this year and a 5 would not be unreasonable.  That being said, based on the recent past, a 7 wouldn't surprise me.

cheesey

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »
NCAA Selection conspiracy theory...  Kevin O'Neill once coached Marquette.  ;)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
And they say those matchups are purely "coincidental"...yeah right.

I hope we don't face Zona. It WILL be a homecourt advantage as Chico said...they travel well.
SS Marquette

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »
Plus, they are exactly the the type of team that gives us trouble....very athletic, and long at the 3/4/5. I have a bad feeling we're going to get a 7 seed. Playing a 2 seed in the second round would be very unfortunate.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
I was just thinking about this in the shower, and teh thing with MU is, with the possible exceptions - possible exceptions - of @ND, and @WVU, we have not lost a game to an inferior opponent all season. Tough to even include ND and WVU as those are conference opponents with similar ability, on the road. So, noving on...

Say we get a six seed (or even a 7) - that will have us playing a team like a Baylor, Kentuck, OSU...A team we should beat, and this season would indicate, we probably will.

Then we get a 3 seed...a team like Wisconsin, Xavier, Pittsburgh. Again, if this season has showed us anything, we can certainly play with and beat teams of that caliber.

So, assuming we do that, we move on to the 2 seeds...Georgetown, Tennessee, Duke, etc...We have seen that we can at least play with those types of teams, though we have not demonstrated we can beat them. Still, I'd take my chances, and be happy with the opportunity.

After that we get the the UNC's, UCLA, Memphis of the world, and I wouldn't feel good about those at all, but who cares?

I guess the point is, if we get a 5-7 seed, I think we will have a decent chance of 1, 2, even 3 games. Obviously you have to get the forst one, and match-ups will mean everyting. When we play defense as we are capable, we can play with anyone, with perhaps only 3-4 excpetions. Nothing would surprise me, but I see no reason we may not be talking about MU for another week or two yet.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »

Well Chicos if we do end up playing AZ in Anaheim, you and I will just have to cheer that much louder for the good guys!!

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
The seedings Lunardi has up now are impossible because he has us playing Arizona in the first round and then Stanford in the 2nd round provided Stanford wins.... however that cant happen because if Arizona were to beat us they would have to play Stanford, and teams in the same conference cannot play until after the sweet 16
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

Fox Valley Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Don't they have the winner of the MU vs Arizona playing the winner of Boise st vs Stanford? They won't potentially match up two pac ten teams in the second round.Joey brackets is off on this one!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »
Chico's I thought lower seeded teams werent supposed to get home court advantage???

They aren't....Anaheim isn't in Arizona Nate.  You had USC in Anaheim, which was utterly preposterous on your part.  You also had us playing Florida who won't even make the tournament.  That being said, Arizona has about 40% of it's student body from California which is why there would be a lot of people cheering for Arizona...but it would be no different then MU playing in Illinois or Minneapolis, people would travel.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »

I would love to see MU in Anaheim. We had a great fan turnout in San Diego.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
If you're going to worry about it, be more concerned with the opponent and less with the venue. Never yet seen a building defeat a good team.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »
If you're going to worry about it, be more concerned with the opponent and less with the venue. Never yet seen a building defeat a good team.

True, but I've seen plenty of teams lose to other teams because they were on "the road" with their fans.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »
Chicos, we finally agree. But, the NY Giants beat the Packers because they were better than Green Bay. On a neutral basketball court, I going with the better team 95% of the time regardless of the "crowd."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
He has now changed our opponent (St. Joe's) dropping Arizona to a 12. Speaking of, anyone else notice the rather dratsic changes in the In's and Out's of the bubble teams in his latest version? Villanova jumps 4-5 spots and is now in, OSU now drops 4-5 spots and is now out. ASU out. No games having been played that would seem to impact that, makes me wonder what the thinking is (if any). 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »
Would love to play Saint Joe's.  To paraphrase Dr. Seuss, we would beat them in a box, we would beat them with a fox, we would beat them in a boat, we would beat them with a goat, we would beat them here or there, we would beat them anywhere.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

I saw the Metrodome become a hostile road game for Kentucky a few years ago, and a home game for us.  Venue is key in March and April, and the--the--reason we made the Final 4.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
I saw the Metrodome become a hostile road game for Kentucky a few years ago, and a home game for us.  Venue is key in March and April, and the--the--reason we made the Final 4.
I suppose Dwywane Wade's 29, 11, and 11 had nothing to do with it.  Or Robert Jackson's 21 and 16 (not sure those are the exact numbers, but around there).  Or Novak's 16 off of the bench.  Or how flawlessly we played/executed.  Or how our defense shut down the number 1 team in the nation.  Just the fact that it was a home crowd gave us the win.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
No, I think the home court advantage helped those guys get those numbers, and at the same time it punctuated every mistake by Kentucky and kept the juice going for our guys.  I remember walking into that place that day, looking around, saying to myself:  "Dang!!!  Nothing but gold, baby!!"  So yeah, I expected someone would come back with the numbers argument, but I stand by it.  By the way, love the Dr Suess thing above there.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »
Its worse - they have us playing a scrappy well coached team from Philly - St Joes.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259