[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why not Tom Crean? Why not?  (Read 2586 times)

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
Why not Tom Crean? Why not?
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »
From Todd Rosiak's blog:
When asked about the situation afterward, Crean not surprisingly would go nowhere near it.

"You'll have to ask (Higgins), seriously," he said. "I'm not going to comment on that. I'm not going there. I'm not going to be...I'm not playing things out that way. You'd have to ask him. I'm not trying to be smart."

Why not comment on it? I applaud Crean for finally sticking up for his players by getting a technical, but come on man, grow some fing balls. Every year this guy costs us at least one game and Crean just sits by while this jack@$$ tries to rape us in every way possible.

IMO its worth him getting fined by the league, maybe that will wake the BE up to Higgins' absolutely horrible officiating.

If he doesn't do something one of our players is going to get so frustrated that they will get ejected/suspended for a game or two (which Jerel McNeal was probably on the brink of).

I'd rather have Crean take the hit, lord knows we pay him enough. If not lets get some boosters together to establish a "Tom got fined for outing Higgins in the press" fund. I'm sure we can raise enough money to cover any and all fines.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:16:52 AM by SCdem@MU »

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Why not Tom Crean? Why not?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
The problem is that some of todays officials are so arrogant, there would be pay back next year to put TC "in his place." 

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »
The problem is that some of todays officials are so arrogant, there would be pay back next year to put TC "in his place."

I seriously doubt that it would be any worse than it already is.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
It's pointless, as nothing good can come of it. By saying what he said, he pretty much said what we all know - just need to read between the lines a little. He could have said "I thought the crew did a fine job." He didn't.

"I'm not going to comment on that." is Coach for, "Those guys stunk out loud tonight. We got screwed from behind,  and the whole world knows it!"

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 09:32:41 AM »

I seriously doubt that it would be any worse than it already is.

Last night was exceptionally bad - I cannot argue with that.  I could not complain much about the BE regular season though and would like to keep it that way.  I thought the only two games affected in the reg season were at ND and GT at home.  Not bad for 18 conf games. We don't want to antagonize these guys.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 09:36:26 AM »
You posted only a part of Rosiak's blog entry in order to what, take a shot a Crean?

Reading only the quote you presented is totally out of context.

Crean was responding to a question that asked him about Higgins supposedly throwing McNeal out of the game. Clearly Higgins changing his mind helped us. Crean wasn't referring to the officiating job as a whole.

McNeal and Crean appeared stunned. Then Higgins, perhaps realizing the storm of controversy that doubtless would have surrounded such a move, appeared to change his mind and allowed McNeal to stay, instead warning the bench area to keep quiet.
When asked about the situation afterward, Crean not surprisingly would go nowhere near it.
"You'll have to ask (Higgins), seriously," he said. "I'm not going to comment on that. I'm not going there. I'm not going to be...I'm not playing things out that way. You'd have to ask him. I'm not trying to be smart."
Unfortunately, due to deadline constraints, I was unable to track down Higgins to get his side of the story.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:39:09 AM by mwbauer7 »

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 09:56:30 AM »
You posted only a part of Rosiak's blog entry in order to what, take a shot a Crean?

And he couldn't he comment on that and/or the officiating as a whole?

Anyway, my larger point is that other teams (Louisville, Wisconsin, are two that come to mind), consistently get calls in their favor. Part of it is no doubt differences in style of play, but as much as I hate Bo Ryan and to a much lesser extent Rick Pitino, both of these coaches clearly know how to work the officials to get calls in their favor and to get make up calls after the refs make a bad call. (and you clearly see them working the refs during games).

Before last night I can't remember the last time Crean got a technical during a game. Maybe calling Higgins out in the press isn't the right move, maybe it is, I don't know.

I just think that it may benefit the team if Crean took a more active approach towards dealing with officials.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:58:59 AM by SCdem@MU »

feedback