[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Good News Is...  (Read 1819 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
The Good News Is...
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:45:12 PM »
This loss was about as meaningless as it gets. Even if MU would have won this game tonight, I can't imagine it would have bumped us up a seed line. I realize Purdue and IU both lost too, but after looking at the S Curve, only a win in the title game tomorrow night would really have moved us up to a 4.

Winning 4 games in 4 days is nice accomplishment, no doubt. But que up Syracuse from two years ago...it doesn't help you much come next Thursday. If anything, losing today, getting hosed over by the refs, fighting and crawling back, I think can only help us next week.

I think anyone on this board would take a loss tonight over a loss next Thursday or Friday.

TJ

• All American
Re: The Good News Is...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:47:27 PM »
I had pipe dreams of beating Georgetown and cutting down some nets, but it'll be fine this way. I am really glad they did win 2 games though.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »
Completely agree. This one only matters if we would have won tomorrow night, which I do not think would have happened.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:52:01 PM »
The way the Hoyas get calls from the zebras, this all saves us a lot of angst.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »
I don't understand this line of thinking.  I think we can all agree that we're not winning the NCAA tournament.  I'd love to win the Big East tournament.  I'd rather have a Big East tournament title and a first round NCAA loss than losing tonight and winning one in the NCAAs.  The NCAA tournament is not everything.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »
I'd love to have won the whole thing.  I'm not disappointed we won't be facing Gtown tomorrow as I think the team is spent and would have nothing left against a relatively well rested Georgetown team.  But a win today would have solidified a 5 seed or possibly a 4 with both indiana and purdue losing.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »
I don't understand this line of thinking.  I think we can all agree that we're not winning the NCAA tournament.  I'd love to win the Big East tournament.  I'd rather have a Big East tournament title and a first round NCAA loss than losing tonight and winning one in the NCAAs.  The NCAA tournament is not everything.

I think the problem is, had we won tonight, I would have put MU's chances of beating GU at about 15%. Just wasn't gonna happen. Believe me, I'd love to be playing that game, but I guess the point is, I don't really care all that much that we aren't.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:00:01 AM »
I agree that I don't think we're winning the NCAA title, but this team, more specifically this group of players, absolutely needs to win an NCAA game. For this group of kids to lose on Thurs/Fri of next week would be crushing.

If this group goes 0-3 in NCAA games, man...that would be heartbreaking.

I'll take a run to the Sweet Sixteen than cuttin' down the nets in MSG. Maybe that's just me, but I find these conference tourneys useless for the most part. Unless you're on the bubble looking to get in, they're just serving as money makers.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
They're speculating on the Pitt board that a win tomorrow might get them a 4 seed. I had to laugh. When was the last time an unranked team with nine losses got a 4?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »
The more I think about it, the more happy I am with the loss. We weren't going to beat G'town -- of that I am reasonably sure. Only a win against them would have helped our seed, so from a seeding perspective I see no impact.

Beyond that, instead of waking up in NY about now, to go through a walk through/practice, then get ready to play 40 minutes against one of the best and toughest teams in the country, lose (most likley), then have to travel to get home God knows when on Sunday, do nothing but recover all day before getting together to watch the selection show, they are already back in Milwaukee (I assume), in their own beds. They have today to recover and get back to a normal routine and practice schedule by tomorrow.

3 games in 3 days is bad enough, and they now have an entire extra day to recover from that, than they would have had they played  4 games in 4 days, which is obviously even worse.  While it is technically just one day, it is almost like getting two extra days to get ready for the tournament. Wow, that was a very Len Elmore-like statement.

feedback