[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Page 2 - props or dig?  (Read 1448 times)

JetCityWarrior

• Walk-On
Page 2 - props or dig?
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but there's a fairly funny reference to MU on Page 2 of ESPN's How to win your office pool.

"Face it, picking the better-dressed team is the way to go, because that's what your heart wants, anyway. (Especially if your heart has a 42-inch HDTV.) Besides, the rest of us don't want to get stuck watching some crummy-looking team all the way to the Final Four, which means the sharply dressed squads need all the support they can get. Remember, haberdashery is destiny. With the possible exception of Marquette's 1977 national championship team."

There's a sweet link to a famous photo. Though I think it's a huge tip of the hat, I read it again, and I'm not so sure they intended it.

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
Re: Page 2 - props or dig?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
Later in the article it references Marquette's cheesy slogan... it does sound like an Obama campaign slogan

Samuel Johnson once dubbed patriotism the last refuge of a scoundrel. But don't hold that against him: It wasn't his fault modern marketing and public relations had yet to be invented.

As schools scramble to brand themselves -- what is the NCAA tournament, really, but a three-week informercial? -- it's only fair to judge them accordingly. Side with the slogans that could pull double-duty on a locker room whiteboard, without sounding utterly absurd. For instance:

• Marquette University: "Be the Difference." Fail. How about "Be the Ball"? Talk about pure pabulum. Is Marquette running for president?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
• Marquette University: "Be the Difference." Fail. How about "Be the Ball"? Talk about pure pabulum. Is Marquette running for president?

I once had a marketing professor who told the class to never look to Marquette's marketing people for examples of good marketing.  He cited that slogan as proof, and it was enough to prove his point.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:15:46 PM »
Hmmm.....where else has Marquette failed in a marketing capacity?

Oh yeah, they had a brand as strong as Indiana Hoosiers and they flushed it down the toilet.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:01:29 PM »

I once had a marketing professor who told the class to never look to Marquette's marketing people for examples of good marketing.  He cited that slogan as proof, and it was enough to prove his point.

Steve Lysonski?

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »

Steve Lysonski?

He's told my MARK140 class that on more than one occasion this semester.

feedback