Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We are getting very close to the Doomsday scenario!!!  (Read 5304 times)

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
We are getting very close to the Doomsday scenario!!!
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
During the middle of the season I predicted that we would get the Doomsday situation in not only seeding but location.

WE ARE THIS CLOSE To playing one of 2 doomsday games in the tourney.

1. 9 MU vs 8 USC In Anaheim

2. 7 MU vs 10 Florida in Tampa

3. 7 MU vs 10 Miami in Tampa

WE ARE FLIRTING WITH DISASTER AND TO BE HONEST IF YOU DONT WIN 2 GAMES THIS YEAR CREANS SEAT NEEDS TO BE GETTING WARM!!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: We are getting very close to the Doomsday scenario!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
During the middle of the season I predicted that we would get the Doomsday situation in not only seeding but location.

WE ARE FLIRTING WITH DISASTER AND TO BE HONEST IF YOU DONT WIN 2 GAMES THIS YEAR CREANS SEAT NEEDS TO BE GETTING WARM!!!!!

Sigh...they are not going to give an 8 seed home court advantage.  Florida, right now, might not even make the damn tournament.  In fact, Lunardi has them out right now.

I just hope they don't make us play Kansas State again.   ::)

unionssuck

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »
Crean's seat will never get warm as long as he's got the U by the nuts w/ these lifetime contracts.  He's Pat Kennedy'ed us, but most MU fans don't care that he's all style, no substance.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »
Crean's seat will never get warm as long as he's got the U by the nuts w/ these lifetime contracts.  He's Pat Kennedy'ed us, but most MU fans don't care that he's all style, no substance.

Unionsuck...name the last time MU made the NCAAs 3 years in a row.  Thanks.

The fact you mentioned Pat Kennedy and Tom Crean in the same sentence really puts you in a special place.

unionssuck

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 09:00:39 PM »
And in each season, we made it to the tourney based on our November thru January record, NOT February or March. 

Crean's not as bad as Kennedy (Kennedy underachieved more), but the contractual situation and the buy-in to the hype by some fans (inability to objectively evaluate his coaching) is as bad or worse.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »
And in each season, we made it to the tourney based on our November thru January record, NOT February or March. 

Crean's not as bad as Kennedy (Kennedy underachieved more), but the contractual situation and the buy-in to the hype by some fans (inability to objectively evaluate his coaching) is as bad or worse.

Yup...you're right...that's why we've won 7 of 9...just horrible down the stretch, including one of those losses to the conference champion in overtime.  My God we suck in February.   ::)

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
Yea But Chico's we lost to all the good teams we played in that stretch.

We blew the game against Georgetown with a dumb dumb dumb dumb play by DJ.

You can sugarcoat it all you want but this year is eerily similar to Last year and the year before that.
As I recall we lost in the 2nd round of the B-East tourney both years and than proceeded to lay an egg in the tournament.
And Chicos dont give me the Company line that some no name named Jean Felix scored 30 or That McNeal was injured last year.  Your smarter than that Chico's and you know in your heart that bad coaching moves cost us those games.  FOR GOD SAKES AFTER THE 2ND THREE POINTER THEIR SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SHADOW ON FELIX THE REST OF THAT GAME!!!!!!  The score of that game was a lot closer than that game actually was.

And than last year you had Crean wet his pants because he had to coach against Izzo.  O yea the biggest myth in the tourney is that Izzo is a great tourney Coach.  He had two good years in the tourney.  Izzo is the same guy who got bounced by Nevada and George Mason in consecutive years.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:23:28 PM »
The score of that game was a lot closer than that game actually was.

You continue to out-dumb yourself, Nate. We lost that game by 3. Novak had a clean look to tie at the buzzer. In what universe is that "a lot closer than [the] game actually was?"

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:58:08 PM »
We lost by 5 to Alabama.  90-85.  That kid Felix had to go career on us (8 of 11, all 3s)  That one still hurts.  Although that comeback we had, though falling short, was sweet. 

Then the next year we don't hit a 2pt FG in the 1st half against Michigan State in the worst basketball game I have ever witnessed.  We went scoreless or the first 9 minutes I think. 

I don't think I can handle another One and Done.

It's not about how we match up.  It's about us playing with balls or not.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:41:56 PM »

And than last year you had Crean wet his pants because he had to coach against Izzo.  O yea the biggest myth in the tourney is that Izzo is a great tourney Coach.  He had two good years in the tourney.  Izzo is the same guy who got bounced by Nevada and George Mason in consecutive years.
As was stated...one of, if not THE, best shooter in Marquette history missed a wide open 3 pointer that would have tied the game in the closing seconds of that game...not sure how that suggests that the score was closer than it actually was.

Also, Izzo isn't a good tourney coach?  Honestly?  Here's a quote for you:
"In the NCAA Tournament, Izzo is at his best, winning at a clip of .727 to rank fifth among all active coaches with at least 10 tournament games coached. In 2005, Izzo led MSU to its fourth Final Four in the last seven seasons, becoming the only team to accomplish that feat in the last seven seasons and just the eighth in college basketball history. Izzo also became just the second coach in NCAA history to reach four Final Fours in his first 10 years of coaching, joining Ohio State's Fred Taylor, and just the sixth coach in NCAA history to appear in Four Final Fours in a seven-year span."
.727 winning percentage in the NCAA Tournament?  That's UNBELIEVABLE for an OVERALL winning percentage, let alone one in the NCAA Tournament.  4 Final Fours in 7 years?  That's ridiculous...to say he's only had 2 good years in the NCAA Tournament...DAMN I wish we were at the point where we didn't count all of our Final Fours as a good NCAA Tournament...there are at LEAST 4 good NCAA Tournaments for him right there (8th college coach in the HISTORY to do that?  Wow).
But you are right...it is a MYTH that Tom Izzo is a good Tournament coach...WOW
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 11:45:35 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 12:18:59 AM »
Yea But Chico's we lost to all the good teams we played in that stretch.

We blew the game against Georgetown with a dumb dumb dumb dumb play by DJ.

You can sugarcoat it all you want but this year is eerily similar to Last year and the year before that.
As I recall we lost in the 2nd round of the B-East tourney both years and than proceeded to lay an egg in the tournament.
And Chicos dont give me the Company line that some no name named Jean Felix scored 30 or That McNeal was injured last year.  Your smarter than that Chico's and you know in your heart that bad coaching moves cost us those games.  FOR GOD SAKES AFTER THE 2ND THREE POINTER THEIR SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SHADOW ON FELIX THE REST OF THAT GAME!!!!!!  The score of that game was a lot closer than that game actually was.

Wow, I don't even know where to start with you.  You really think Izzo is not one of the best tournament coaches in the country?  Is Coach K not a good coach anymore because he got bounced in the first round last year...its the NCAAs, one bad game and you're out. You really think not having our 2nd leading scorer and the BEAST defender of the year didn't hurt us last year?  And I really don't get your other comment about the Alabama game...I was there, right in line with Novak attempting to tie it with about 5 seconds left.

Felix had a career game...that's SMART coaching...you let someone ELSE beat you and take away their strengths.  We clamped down on their main threats and they got hot.  You roll with that and take your chances....it didn't work out. 

I'll ask again...are we not 7 of 9 down the stretch or does today's game count for 10 games and the other 9 games don't matter?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »

You continue to out-dumb yourself, Nate. We lost that game by 3. Novak had a clean look to tie at the buzzer. In what universe is that "a lot closer than [the] game actually was?"

How did we lose by 5 if Steve could tie the game at the buzzer? If I recall, Steve shot with about 15 seconds left in the game. He missed, we fouled Bama and lost by 5.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »

Neither can I.

And I'm getting tired of hearing about the 2002-03 magical year. It seems that Crean's tenure at MU - if he doesn't get past the second and third rounds soon - will only revolve around that year and sadly nothing beyond it.

It doesn't help recruiting and in turn, that won't help you get past the first round.
SS Marquette

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »
amen 77 champs

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »

why dont you save us your dribble and get back to baking some pies cookie boy.
But I like to throw handfuls...

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
Cookie Boy??  WTF...  some strange insults dude. :-\

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »
I Dont know apparently I am called cookie boy because I am the only person on this board who likes Girl Scout Cookies maybe???
But I forgot everybody else on this board enjoys Dry Wheat toast, Egg Whites, and Muselix

Anyways with Ohio State winning their is a good chance we will play them which is a terrible matchup as they have a big guy in the middle and a coach that is fresh off a championship.  We better pray they lose on Wednesday!!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 05:05:06 PM »

Anyways with Ohio State winning their is a good chance we will play them which is a terrible matchup as they have a big guy in the middle and a coach that is fresh off a championship.  We better pray they lose on Wednesday!!!!

What championship?

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 05:50:50 PM »
SMART coaching?  Smart coaching is making adjustments.  Obviously none was made to stop Mr. Felix.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
That Bama game was the worse coaching job I have seen in a long time

I Dont care if the guy averages 2 points a game, if he is going off get someone on the guy.

Crean let that guy have the game of his life and he capitalized on it.

O yea might I add that Bama was playing without their 2nd best player in Hendrix that game

IlikecreansoIcantposthere

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 09:47:11 PM »

Neither can I.

And I'm getting tired of hearing about the 2002-03 magical year. It seems that Crean's tenure at MU - if he doesn't get past the second and third rounds soon - will only revolve around that year and sadly nothing beyond it.

It doesn't help recruiting and in turn, that won't help you get past the first round.

Is it irony that the guy who is sick of hearing about '03 has the screen name "77ncaachamps"?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »

I Dont care if the guy averages 2 points a game, if he is going off get someone on the guy.

O yea might I add that Bama was playing without their 2nd best player in Hendrix that game

You really need to watch that game again....in fact, you need to watch a lot of basketball again.

While you're at it, exactly what championship is Thad Matta "fresh off of"?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »

Wasn't the KSU scrimmage a worse coaching performance? They let a frosh. school them and everybody saw it and read about it.

Terrible.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »

Neither can I.

Zing.

Fair point.

Is it irony that the guy who is sick of hearing about '03 has the screen name "77ncaachamps"?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »

Neither can I.

Good point. Didn't think of it that way.

But it sounds a lot better than 02FinalFour!

Isn't it also ironic that someone who has a handle "ILikeTomCreanSoICan'tPostHere" did just that - at least 27 times? ;)
SS Marquette

feedback