[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Just what is the point of tomorrows game? Seems to me no  (Read 10752 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Just what is the point of tomorrows game? Seems to me no
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
real upside. Hopefully we don't get someone hurt.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Just what is the point of tomorrows game? Seems to me no
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »
To play Florida Gulf Coast when both teams can have the game since they were suppose to be in the Blue and Gold Tournament until Maine left us hanging.

Acts as a tune-up during a long week before Syracuse as well.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »
Maybe we can get Trevor 20+ minutes. I'm glad we're not playing UConn or Louisville tomorrow night, frankly. Should be a nice late-season confidence boost.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »
Some friends just flew back from Florida and their daughter was an absolute disaster.  Crying, screaming, kicking, etc.

The good thing, a couple Gulf Coast players were in the seats right in front of them.

Should be a nice game to get guys some nice time.  Seems Trevor is getting back into game shape.  This will help.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:58:14 PM »

To fulfill the NCAA obligation of games played?

Not trying to be prickish, though I know I do a good job of it at times...but we all know why the game is being played tomorrow.  It turns out it has some extra benefits as a result of the Classic being cancelled late.

1) Coming off a devestating loss on Saturday, this allows even for a let down but still a positive result to get the mind right
2) Some final tweeking with Trevor and the boys
3) Counts as a win just like any other DI opponent, though if you believe the last 10 or last 12 games that the NCAA always talks about, this just helps that record....another reason why I think the last 10 or 12 factor is just plain stupid (Jay Bilas agrees)
4) Seniors go out with a win

Pardner

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:18:20 PM »
I agree with Chicos...and I'll add one...chance to let the players to physically and mentally recover their bodies and minds after an extended and exhausting BE schedule.  I really think the BE should start their games earlier so teams can intersperse some of the cupcakes they play over break. 

With travel, school and and the all out battles during these games, it is harder for a team to peak.  In running or swimming, they taper...no different here.  They have had pressure cookers from Jan. 1 on.  There is a lot of upside in that, but also can create some funks and off peak performances.  I like this slot right before the frenzy of the BET.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
I think this is a good place for this game after the Georgetown loss. It also gives Blackledge a chance to play on senior night.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 12:51:52 PM »
I think it is a class act by MU to honor a commitment to FGC when we could have told them to get lost but to some of you its just another chance to rip on TC and MU. 

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »
The reason I have heard that we are playing FGC is that because we didnt have the Blue and Gold this year, we needed one more non conference game to be scheduled. I dont know how true or untrue it is, but regardless... it couldnt have come for us at a better time.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »
mufanatic -- get off your high horse.

It was Crean himself who told ESPN announcers that FGC was scheduled to improve our record in the last 10 games.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 01:28:02 PM »
It was Crean himself who told ESPN announcers that FGC was scheduled to improve our record in the last 10 games.

True.  And the reason MU could do this was because FGCU was a B&G Classic commit.....MU honored the game on terms that best suited the needs the program -- slotting into the last 10 games. Not sure what the big deal is. I doubt MU wanted to carry a buy-game into next season, so slotting it in right now is ideal.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:04:44 PM by NYWarrior »

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »

Why don't you get off your HIGH HORSE and just admit that your hatred towards Crean clouds your mind to the point that everything has to be Crean's fault.  Your so transparent that it is comical.   ;D

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »
I'm surprised it is not more common to schedule a buy game for your senior night.  Probably helps attendance against a team that would draw 9,000 in December plus pretty much guarantees you can give your seniors minutes and salute them however you see fit without jeopardizing a loss.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tonyreeder

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »

Not trying to be prickish, though I know I do a good job of it at times...but we all know why the game is being played tomorrow.  It turns out it has some extra benefits as a result of the Classic being cancelled late.

1) Coming off a devestating loss on Saturday, this allows even for a let down but still a positive result to get the mind right
3) Counts as a win just like any other DI opponent, though if you believe the last 10 or last 12 games that the NCAA always talks about, this just helps that record....another reason why I think the last 10 or 12 factor is just plain stupid (Jay Bilas agrees)

I heard Bilas,(who I generally like), say the same thing about the last 10 or 12 and I don't agree.  Generally speaking the last 10-12 games are going to be all conference games, most teams won't have FGC game slotted.  If you're comparing 3 to 4 bubble teams and have analyzed the RPI, SOS and all the other stuff I think results from the last 10-12 is another very good barometer to use.  You want the current best teams to be in the tourney.  If you compare a Texas A&M who is limping badly down the stretch versus Miami ,Florida  who's been playing very well then you should take that into account.   How's a team currently playing--why should that not be important?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »

How's a team currently playing--why should that not be important?
[/quote]

Because the NCAA tournament should be about the teams entire season, not a specific portion of it.  Frankly, I don't think they should consider injuries, suspensions, etc., because once you travel down that slope, where do you stop? 

How would you like it if your favorite baseball team ended in a tie with another team and MLB had the other team go to the playoffs because they had a better record in the last 10 games?  In no other sport but college b-ball and college football does when you played matter even a little bit.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
I understand looking at the last ten in certain situations.  If there are two equal teams and on is 7-3 in the last ten and the other is 6-4, throw the stat out the window.  On the otherhand, if one is 9-1 and the other is 2-8, you've got to favor the team that's playing well now.

tonyreeder

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
I understand looking at the last ten in certain situations.  If there are two equal teams and on is 7-3 in the last ten and the other is 6-4, throw the stat out the window.  On the otherhand, if one is 9-1 and the other is 2-8, you've got to favor the team that's playing well now.

Exactly.  There's no way the tournament committee doesn't first look at the entirety of a team's season first and foremost.  However, when it gets down to the last few teams it should matter and if a couple teams are pretty even as far as seeding I feel it's completely legitimate to look at the last 10-12.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »

Why don't you get off your HIGH HORSE and just admit that your hatred towards Crean clouds your mind to the point that everything has to be Crean's fault.  Your so transparent that it is comical.   ;D

My thoughts exactly except without the winky smilie face.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »

Not exactly.  Crean did say that about the last 10 games, but the reason they were on the schedule to begin with was the Blue and Gold Classic which was cancelled.  FGC still had us on their schedule and we still had them so rather that both of us scrambling, we are still playing the game....though later in the season.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »

I heard Bilas,(who I generally like), say the same thing about the last 10 or 12 and I don't agree.  Generally speaking the last 10-12 games are going to be all conference games, most teams won't have FGC game slotted.  If you're comparing 3 to 4 bubble teams and have analyzed the RPI, SOS and all the other stuff I think results from the last 10-12 is another very good barometer to use.  You want the current best teams to be in the tourney.  If you compare a Texas A&M who is limping badly down the stretch versus Miami ,Florida  who's been playing very well then you should take that into account.   How's a team currently playing--why should that not be important?

Simple...because not all games down the stretch are equal.  In the case of the Big East, for example, the unbalanced schedule already has some teams playing brutally harder schedules then others.  MU will finish with the #2 Big East schedule.  What if our last 10 included 6 road games and 4 home games and 7 of the 10 are against the top 8 Big East teams, while another team in the conference has 6 home games and 4 road and plays only 5 in the top 8 in that stretch?

Does that really show how well you're playing...or does it show more like WHO YOU ARE PLAYING?  Why should you be penalized for beating a team in January...I think that's ridiculous.

Now, I don't quibble with the idea that a team that starts 20-0 and loses 10 straight would probably not get in.   That's an exception to the rule.  At the same time when folks just randomly throw out "how did they do in their last 10" that's equally ridiculous.  How's that last ten games in the A-10 or the Big 10 (this year) in terms of competitive teams compare to the ACC?  It doesn't.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 06:12:42 PM »
The last ten games should definitely be looked at.  It should not be just the record that is looked at, though.  The teams that are played should be taken into account. Kentucky started the season 7-9 and are since 11-2, all of those 13 games against SEC opponents, 1 of the wins being against then #5 Tennessee and the 2 losses being AT then #19 Vanderbilt and then AT #1 Tennessee (by 3 points).  They close up with 2 more SEC games and the SEC Tournament.  I would argue that Kentucky deserves to be in the tournament over West Virginia, who has a better overall record but is 8-5 in their previous 13 games, all of their 8 wins coming to teams from the bottom half of the Big East (and 1 of them against Marshall).  How a team is currently playing should be taken into account, keeping in mind the teams that those games are against.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 06:46:48 PM »
now we see the true purpose of this game: so MU can wear the baby blues again

feedback