Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: GET OFF CREAN  (Read 9192 times)

avid1010

• All American
GET OFF CREAN
« on: March 02, 2008, 08:14:59 PM »
I never post on this site, and laugh at how many feel they have the knowledge to bash Crean.  Let's get a few things straight.

First, I'm going to sound like a bit of a "dink", but I've been to a few Marquette practices/met Crean numerous times, and have spent more time than I care to admit coaching at the high school level.  I have far more experience than 99% of the people on this site, and all I can say about Crean is that I don't know close to enough about coaching college ball to criticize him.  I criticized KO and Dean because I thought they were jerks, apparently Lute does also, but Crean consistently hold his players to high standards and consistently competes well in the Big East.  If Marquette can be competitive and produce student athletes that I'm proud to see wear a Marquette jersey that's all I ask.

Second, I'm sick of hearing about Crean being nothing without Wade.  There's a great coach in Madison that gets a lot out of his talent, but hasn't been to the final four.  Playing that kind of ball doesn't bring in the best recruits, and that's a choice every coach/school has to make.  Crean got Wade (I don't care how you want to figure it), and that lead to a final four.  Bo Ryan didn't go after Wade, and many other schools passed on him.  Rather than criticizing Crean for not winning without Wade, I choose to compliment him on getting Wade.  That recruiting job has meant so much to the program.

Third, Crean turned down many great coaching offers to stay at Marquette.  I don't think many coaches would do that???

Fourth, he doesn't criticize his players publicly if he feels they are giving great effort.  James killed them by fouling Wallace twice while shooting 3's.  Everyone knows, since 1st grade, that's a big no no (especially at the end of a game!!!)  The choice not to foul on the floor is a tough one, Rick Majerus and many prominent coaches have said they will never do so because fouling is the only way you can loose the game (ex. foul on the shot and he gets 3+1 or foul on the floor and you get a free throw, tap out, three pointer).  If James stays straight up, Wallace misses a fad away NBA range 3. 

Fifth, thanks TC for being a great model to your players, and an even better model for Marquette and college basketball.  I'm glad we don't have a Knight in town like a previous post suggested!!!

mwbauer7

• All American
Re: GET OFF CREAN
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:30:28 PM »
I come from the school of thought that Crean can stay at MU as long as he wants. And I will support him win or lose.

There is something to be said to recruits about the longevity of a head basketball coach.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
Fifth, thanks TC for being a great model to your players, and an even better model for Marquette and college basketball.  I'm glad we don't have a Knight in town like a previous post suggested!!!
Bob Knight is an amazing coach and person.  I would let my sons play for him, no doubt in my mind.  His players absolutely love him (Coach K) because of the high standards he holds his kids to.  The only players who leave his school are the ones who are too lazy or egotistical to work as hard as he expects them to so they can reach their full potential.  He cares more about his kids succeeding beyond the game of basketball than he does about succeeding on the court.  He's a great role model that people see way too much of the negative of.  I would take Knight over Crean every time if they were the same age, and that's not even a knock on Crean because I'm a huge TC supporter.  I just find it hard to believe that people would not want Bob Knight to coach their team.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »
How does one know that they have far more experience than 99% on this board?

Serious question.

romey

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »
I have no idea who "avid1010" is, but I think the fact that he "spent more years than he cares to admit coaching at the high school level" as he says, means that in all likelihood he has more experience than many on this board.  99% is too high a number I suppose.  But, I doubt more than maybe 20% of this board's members have coached "years" at the high school level.  Now, I know there are other ways of getting "experience" but I'm just trying to cut him some slack.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »
I never post on this site, and laugh at how many feel they have the knowledge to bash Crean.  Let's get a few things straight.

First, I'm going to sound like a bit of a "dink", but I've been to a few Marquette practices/met Crean numerous times, and have spent more time than I care to admit coaching at the high school level.  I have far more experience than 99% of the people on this site, and all I can say about Crean is that I don't know close to enough about coaching college ball to criticize him.  I criticized KO and Dean because I thought they were jerks, apparently Lute does also, but Crean consistently hold his players to high standards and consistently competes well in the Big East.  If Marquette can be competitive and produce student athletes that I'm proud to see wear a Marquette jersey that's all I ask.

Second, I'm sick of hearing about Crean being nothing without Wade.  There's a great coach in Madison that gets a lot out of his talent, but hasn't been to the final four.  Playing that kind of ball doesn't bring in the best recruits, and that's a choice every coach/school has to make.  Crean got Wade (I don't care how you want to figure it), and that lead to a final four.  Bo Ryan didn't go after Wade, and many other schools passed on him.  Rather than criticizing Crean for not winning without Wade, I choose to compliment him on getting Wade.  That recruiting job has meant so much to the program.

Third, Crean turned down many great coaching offers to stay at Marquette.  I don't think many coaches would do that???

Fourth, he doesn't criticize his players publicly if he feels they are giving great effort.  James killed them by fouling Wallace twice while shooting 3's.  Everyone knows, since 1st grade, that's a big no no (especially at the end of a game!!!)  The choice not to foul on the floor is a tough one, Rick Majerus and many prominent coaches have said they will never do so because fouling is the only way you can loose the game (ex. foul on the shot and he gets 3+1 or foul on the floor and you get a free throw, tap out, three pointer).  If James stays straight up, Wallace misses a fad away NBA range 3. 

I, for one, am extremely impressed with avid1010's closeness to Coach Crean. It gives him license to tell everybody else that they are wrong and he is right. How dare fans question decision making in a close loss. He's been to practices!!!

You don't "sound" like a "dink." You ARE a dink! Get off your knees!

PS: Tought loss. I thought we played well, made some bone-headed plays, but it happens. It was an incredible game and we came out on the short end.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:31:04 PM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
It's actually Joanie Crean posting to defend Tom.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

You don't "sound" like a "dink." You ARE a dink! Get off your knees!

PS: Tought loss. I thought we played well, made some bone-headed plays, but it happens. It was an incredible game and we came out on the short end.

ah yes, responding to a laundry list of points with name calling.  How does anyone live without your insight?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »
I come from the school of thought that Crean can stay at MU as long as he wants. And I will support him win or lose.

There is something to be said to recruits about the longevity of a head basketball coach.

Ditto.
We Are Marquette

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
Call it like you see it.  I just get a kick out of all of these "fans" who criticize Crean.  I've been around the game for a long time, and seeing that Crean puts in 100 hour weeks is amazing.  Would you walk in to an operating room and criticize an experienced surgeon?  I surely don't worship TC, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to spend 100 hours a week coaching a game, but he does seem to really care about the kids, and surely he represents the university well.  On top of that he's been competitive in the Big East and has a final four under his belt...all within 10 years of his first real head coaching job.

As far as playing for Bobby Knight.  I'd rather see my son play for Crean, Roy Williams, JT III, Majerus, etc... than a man who is banned from a country, chokes players, throws phones at women, feels that if a woman is going to be raped she should sit back an enjoy it, has shot 3 or 4 people, etc...  Sometimes jerks are good at making others behave so they don't have to.  No doubt he could coach, no doubt his players behaved, but I never felt he was a classy guy who represented a university well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »

Co-sign

I'm thrilled with where this program is right now and the possibilities for the future.  We're about to make our 3rd straight NCAA Tournament...something that hasn't happened since 1981 I believe.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 06:20:39 PM »
I've been around the game for a long time, and seeing that Crean puts in 100 hour weeks is amazing.  Would you walk in to an operating room and criticize an experienced surgeon?  I surely don't worship TC, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to spend 100 hours a week coaching a game, but he does seem to really care about the kids, and surely he represents the university well. 

I agree that I'm not in a position to second guess Crean, and I agree he works hard, but a 100 hour work week means working over 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. That means starting at 8 am and working straight through, with no breaks, until 10 pm. I know the guy works hard, but some of this stuff gets blow out of proportion.
We Are Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
I agree that Crean is a very good representative for the MU program and is well respected by his players and both the Milwaukee and basketball community.  I hope he continues to learn better judgement at the end of games and of course, the recruiting of big men.  Like him or not, Knight won three NCAA Championships, 11 Big Ten CHampionships and an Olympic Gold Medal.  

BTW, can't wait for him on ESPN.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 06:25:25 PM »
I've been around the game for a long time, and seeing that Crean puts in 100 hour weeks is amazing.  Would you walk in to an operating room and criticize an experienced surgeon?  I surely don't worship TC, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to spend 100 hours a week coaching a game, but he does seem to really care about the kids, and surely he represents the university well. 

I agree that I'm not in a position to second guess Crean, and I agree he works hard, but a 100 hour work week means working over 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. That means starting at 8 am and working straight through, with no breaks, until 10 pm. I know the guy works hard, but some of this stuff gets blow out of proportion.

I'll tell you what, when I was in that athletic department, I worked from 8:00am until usually 10 or 11 pm every night and came in on Saturdays and Sundays.  There was one stretch were we worked 121 straight days....no weekends off.  And I wasn't a coach.

It was the way of the world back then.  Other athletic departments I've been in it was less, much less do to the number of people they had working.  MU has a pretty small athletic department...or did.

I was always amazed at the annual convention for AD's and Assistant / Associate ADs.  The divorce rate was through the roof.  That's when a few light bulbs went off in my head.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 06:42:03 PM »
I agree that Crean is a very good representative for the MU program and is well respected by his players and both the Milwaukee and basketball community.  I hope he continues to learn better judgement at the end of games and of course, the recruiting of big men.  Like him or not, Knight won three NCAA Championships, 11 Big Ten CHampionships and an Olympic Gold Medal.  

Don't forget...Bob Knight didn't make his first NCAA tournament appearance until his 8th year in coaching at DI.

He also, God forbid, did not make the NCAA tournament the year after going to the Final Four...where have we heard that before.  He also, God forbid, did not make the NCAA tournament (again) after not only going to the Final Four but winning the national championship. 

Great coach in a state wild about basketball and he was at the flagship school.  Though working there for over a year and the multiple stories I head from people that worked with him for decades, I'm not so sure I'd let my son play for him.  I might...he did a lot of good things and mostly did them the right way, but the way he treated many people....not so sure.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 09:09:10 AM »

I don't think this can be said enough.  It would take a lot of losing before I think MU should even consider removing him because of basketball results.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »
Knight is a tremendous basketball coach and you can't argue with his success rate on the court and in the classroom. I just don't know if I would want my son abused physically and otherwise for four years until his tutelege. It takes a special kind of kid who is willing to live through the constant attacks. Not for one second have I wished that BK was the Marquette coach, and now it will be funny to listen to him work for people he has ridiculed and bullied.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:34 AM »
My $.02

Growing up, I was a big fan of Indiana.  But as time went on, I learned to hate Bobby Knight for his hypocrisy and bullying ways.  If I went to IU, I would have been embarassed to have him represent my university.

As for Crean, I've been a big fan since he started at MU and think our program is in terrific shape.  He represents the university well and I like the caliber of player and person he recruits into our program.  I certainly don't blame him for the loss at Georgetown as the kids were ready to play and it was a terrific game.  I think he faces a huge challenge in getting the team to move on from that heartbreaking loss as we head into the tournament.   
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »

Don't forget...Bob Knight didn't make his first NCAA tournament appearance until his 8th year in coaching at DI.

He also, God forbid, did not make the NCAA tournament the year after going to the Final Four...where have we heard that before.  He also, God forbid, did not make the NCAA tournament (again) after not only going to the Final Four but winning the national championship. 

Great coach in a state wild about basketball and he was at the flagship school.  Though working there for over a year and the multiple stories I head from people that worked with him for decades, I'm not so sure I'd let my son play for him.  I might...he did a lot of good things and mostly did them the right way, but the way he treated many people....not so sure.

I had no idea.  8 years.  Can you imagine a coach getting there now and still being around if he missed the first 3?

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Knight made the NCAA his second year at IU
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »
The first 6 years were at Army, and he made 4 NIT's...not like he was stinking up the joint...

But back on the subject...I really think Crean needs to win a tournament game this year...not to keep his job, but to shut some of the idiots up

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »
How many NCAA tournaments did Belmont Abbey make?

Let's also remember that the NCAA was a lot tougher to get into back in Knight's early days at IU as well as in McGuire's era.

There's a reason why, these days, just getting in the tournament is not considered an accomplishment in and of itself.

Plus, it's not just that MU has not had success without Wade, it's that we've showed up in 3 of our last 4 post season appearances (1 NIT and 2 NCAA) and gotten completely overwhelmed (and that's not counting the Kansas game). I'm quite certain some excuse maker is going to post the final score of the Alabama game, but the fact is we showed up at that game and got completely throttled in the first half. We weren't prepared. And I don't think I need to remind anybody of last year's debacle.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »
How many NCAA tournaments did Belmont Abbey make?

Let's also remember that the NCAA was a lot tougher to get into back in Knight's early days at IU as well as in McGuire's era.

There's a reason why, these days, just getting in the tournament is not considered an accomplishment in and of itself.

Plus, it's not just that MU has not had success without Wade, it's that we've showed up in 3 of our last 4 post season appearances (1 NIT and 2 NCAA) and gotten completely overwhelmed (and that's not counting the Kansas game). I'm quite certain some excuse maker is going to post the final score of the Alabama game, but the fact is we showed up at that game and got completely throttled in the first half. We weren't prepared. And I don't think I need to remind anybody of last year's debacle.

I think you have a point about the last few post-seasons... no doubt.

However, I guess I just feel the state of the program is so much better with Crean at the helm than any other coach in the past 30 years.

It's all opinion... but Crean does have a pretty good resume.

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Knight made the NCAA his second year at IU
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »
But back on the subject...I really think Crean needs to win a tournament game this year...not to keep his job, but to shut some of the idiots up

That would be a great by-product of a tourney win.  Unfortunately, I think it'll take two tourney wins this year to "shut some of the idiots up".
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »
I am concerned about Tom Crean - he drinks way too much diet pepsi.  Did you see him guzzle that can when DJ fouled GU.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259