Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Defining win of the season  (Read 4637 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Defining win of the season
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
From a half empty guy, this was the big one.  I'm optimistic again.  Loved the game plan. Loved the effort.

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Defining win of the season
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
Very impressive statement road win!  Go Eagles!

reesiecup210

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
Very good to see a come-from-behind victory on the road. I didn't have much faith going into that second half. The team really made a bunch of clutch shots tonight, well done.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
A great road win - against a hot team.  Love the way this team has turned it on.

Still plenty of things to improve on, but the guys are playing well!

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
A great learning experience even though we won.  We learned how to handle the pressure of their many runs.  We played under control and confidently and never took our foot off the gas, forcing turnovers and runnin' runnin' runnin'. 

Hats of to Acker for hitting some cluch shots.

DJames with 6 steals!!

Great all around performance and a fantastic road win against a streaking team.

I really like Jay Wright.  Class Act all the way.  Villanova is a team that I really don't think I could hate. 

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Nova may not be ranked, but they're a streaky team with some great shooters coming off of a huge win over Connecticut.  For us to go into the Wachovia Center and win the way we did is absolutely huge. 

Who's your stud of the game?  Certainly James was money but his teammates made Marquette seem like Team Clutch. 

Hayward, McNeal, Acker, Barro, Cubillan, Wes all had huge shots/plays down the stretch.  And they weren't the only ones.  This team is getting hot at the right moment, and that's a very good thing for them and their community.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »
I cannot tell you how relieved I was to see Marquette STONE Villanova's third rally (with about 13 minutes to go). I thought that was the key sequence of the game, as each team had gone on two roughly seven-minute runs teeter-tottering back and forth.

Had Nova been allowed to finish that run (I think they only ended up making two or three shots before momentum shifted), I may not be here, as that game probably would have gone to the wire, a la Louisville at home 2003, and I don't think my ticker can take another one of those.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »
no doubt a great win............ the shot selection at times was bad, the defensive rebounding was terrible, and jerel had one of his brutal nights, but overal we won at a place Uconn just got beat.  So while it was not a a 10 on the style scale it was still a great win.

Pardner

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
23 Nova turnovers.  TC coached a great game.  Or man press just wore their guards down on their home court after a big win for them vs. UCONN.  At the end, even with our ragged finish, their guards had no life left in them.  TC also had a play out of every time out tonight.   Game of spurts, but they had no answer in the second half as we kept coming at them.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »
Nova may not be ranked, but they're a streaky team with some great shooters coming off of a huge win over Connecticut.  For us to go into the Wachovia Center and win the way we did is absolutely huge. 

Agreed...Huge road win.  I was afraid that the team would be more preoccupied with the G-town game on Sat.  Villanova will be a team to watch next year since they have no seniors on their team.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:03:20 PM »
Bfore the season, I circled WVU and Nova as huge games.  50-50, so not too bad.  A HUGE win...and at the right time of the year...!!!  :)

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »
Bring on the Hoyas.... huge game tonight and one on Saturday.  Great win by the whole team.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 09:18:17 PM »
I somehow feel responsible for the win because whenever I watched Villanova went on a crazy scoring spurt. To reverse the jinx, I turned to watch a show about chimpanzees for 10 minutes and when I returned we had an 11 point lead. I am looking to see what nature shows air Saturday at 1 PM

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
Great win... let's carry the momentum into the tourney!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

EmJ5

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:31:57 PM »
I somehow feel responsible for the win because whenever I watched Villanova went on a crazy scoring spurt. To reverse the jinx, I turned to watch a show about chimpanzees for 10 minutes and when I returned we had an 11 point lead. I am looking to see what nature shows air Saturday at 1 PM

Hahaha...
best post ever.
It seems like everyone at Marquette is superstitious these days.

Pardner

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 09:33:50 PM »

TIVO it for god's sake or rent "Planet of the Apes"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »
Great win tonight!

Wooooooo!

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:15 PM »

As long as we're being superstitious, this exact same thing happened to me. Each time I watched closely, Nova went on a ridiculous run. I'd go to check my email or something and all of a sudden we've started the half on a 16-4 run.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:34 PM »
a Pearlesque type win!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

romey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »

As long as we're being superstitious, this exact same thing happened to me. Each time I watched closely, Nova went on a ridiculous run. I'd go to check my email or something and all of a sudden we've started the half on a 16-4 run.
I don't know how you guys do this.  Maybe it's because I'm an out of stater and I don't get to see all their games.  How can you turn away or walk away?  I'm afraid that if I do, I'm going to miss something - a huge dunk, a great steal, an awesome run, whatever.  I always watch and even though I channel surf during commercials, I'm right back when the ball is inbounded.  It's like people throwing their hands up when the team is down by 10 with a minute to go.  I never turn the game off becasue, maybe, maybe, I just might miss something special.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
If you miss anything good I'll try to post video of it on here.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
My superstition
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 06:31:27 AM »
If MU is playing well, I don't change the channel during commercial breaks.  If they had a bad stretch, I flip stations during commercials.

Simple, but effective :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:52:07 AM »
I turned on the game when it was 12-7, MU.  Nova goes on a 16-2 (or whatever) run.   I turn off the game and play with the baby.    I turn the game back on, MU has just taken the lead at 28-26.   I watch the rest of the game, convinced I am the jinx. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 07:05:20 AM »
I turned on the game when it was 12-7, MU.  Nova goes on a 16-2 (or whatever) run.   I turn off the game and play with the baby.    I turn the game back on, MU has just taken the lead at 28-26.   I watch the rest of the game, convinced I am the jinx. 

Same thing here.  Meeting a friend at BW3, show up and the score is 12-7.  Nova makes the run.  Thought I was the jinx too.  She comes at the beginning of the second half, and I still don't know how we took the lead.  However, I do believe that it wasn't me as much as Patso changing the channel.  Thanks Patso!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »
I'm convinced that the effect of whatever I do will be overruled by the superstitious stuff that all of you guys do, so I don't bother with it anymore.

It's kinda like in an election--I only have one vote out of millions.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback