[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Tip-Off Luncheon

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Luncheon

Date/Time: Oct 31, 2024 11:30am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lakers Going After Hurley  (Read 26507 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Lakers Going After Hurley
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2024, 07:59:24 AM »
tower

Hurley has said many times that he has a dream of coaching in the NBA. I think this is a dream situation for him and he would be foolish not to take it. He proved over the past 1.5 seasons that he can put together a nearly unbeatable team/system in college and not many challenges ahead in college. In addition, the NIL and portal has made things crazy for coaches and it cannot be fun, unless you are Shaka.
100%. Recruiting, and all that comes with it…in this era? No thx. Maybe UConn is at the choosing rather than recruiting level, and the nba has its pitfalls, but not having to chase 17/18 yr olds and their parents…no alumni/booster back slapping…more-so managing egos of the best players in the world. NBA every time.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2024, 08:06:22 AM »
Not convinced that his pseudo-bully schtick will play at that level.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2024, 08:07:16 AM »
Based on UConn's plagued past of coaching transitions, his replacement will have wait an agonizing 2.5 years until he brings home his first Natty.  How will they survive.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2024, 08:11:07 AM »
Hurleys coaching style won’t translate to the NBA.  You can’t be that intense with pros and a 100 game schedule counting preseason and playoffs.  I hope he stays at UCONN.

I always thought that Doug Collins would’ve been a great college coach.  He burned himself out at every NBA job he had.  He seemed to have a personality that would’ve worked much better in college, especially back at that time.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2024, 08:12:34 AM »
Hurleys coaching style won’t translate to the NBA.  You can’t be that intense with pros and a 100 game schedule counting preseason and playoffs.  I hope he stays at UCONN.

I always thought that Doug Collins would’ve been a great college coach.  He burned himself out at every NBA job he had.  He seemed to have a personality that would’ve worked much better in college, especially back at that time.

I think Danny Hurley is smart enough to understand the differences and adjusts accordingly
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2024, 08:18:35 AM »
I think Danny Hurley is smart enough to understand the differences and adjusts accordingly

Definitely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2024, 08:21:43 AM »
UConn options?

My first choice would be Steve Pikiell.  Hasn’t set the word on fire at Rutgers but I bet he’d kill it at UConn

Then I’d be curious if they go-a-poaching-a-fellow Big East coach like Sean Miller.

Pinkiell would be an excellent hire. He's won at Stony Brook, he's won at Rutgers and his killing it recruiting, but would he leave a Power 4 job in the new CBB environment? My guess is they promote Kimani Young. The guy has been grinding to climb the ladder in college hoops for 15 years and has successfully put his past behind him. There has to be a reason he hasn't bolted for his own HC job yet. Promoting him keeps the roster together.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUbiz

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2024, 08:26:25 AM »
UConn options?

My first choice would be Steve Pikiell.  Hasn’t set the word on fire at Rutgers but I bet he’d kill it at UConn

Then I’d be curious if they go-a-poaching-a-fellow Big East coach like Sean Miller.

Tom Crean to Uconn  :D

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2024, 08:28:15 AM »
Luke Murray?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2024, 08:28:21 AM »
Pinkiell would be an excellent hire. He's won at Stony Brook, he's won at Rutgers and his killing it recruiting, but would he leave a Power 4 job in the new CBB environment? My guess is they promote Kimani Young. The guy has been grinding to climb the ladder in college hoops for 15 years and has successfully put his past behind him. There has to be a reason he hasn't bolted for his own HC job yet. Promoting him keeps the roster together.

UConn is one of the top 5 jobs in the nation, imo, regardless of league.  I know the money is different between leagues but Rutgers has a ceiling, UConn’s is national titles
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2024, 08:28:58 AM »
My guess on Lakers offer is 5 years/$100M.

Upcoming NBA media rights deal makes this type of commitment a lot easier for Buss.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2024, 08:30:15 AM »
The Lakers as presently constructed isn't a good roster.   And they'll be worse if they draft Bronny and Hurley has to deal with thar circus.  Truthfully if Boston loses to Dallas, Mazzulla may be canned.  If Hurley is hell bent going to the NBA why not wait?  I.hahe always subscribed to not messing with happy. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2024, 08:33:35 AM »

Upcoming NBA media rights deal makes this type of commitment a lot easier for Buss.

Yeah, this rights deal is going to make front offices flush with cash, and with the current CBA in place its not like they can just give more to the players. May as well pay the coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2024, 08:47:01 AM »
UConn options?

Considering what Rutgers was before,  Pikiell has set the world on fire.

But they'll promote from within
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2024, 08:49:06 AM »
I’m not sure if he takes it. And he definitely doesn’t need to.

But if he did, calling it a mistake is insane.

He would get triple the money. Be able to try a new challenge and make himself a coaching legend. And if it fails, he can get paid boatloads to come back to college immediately

Exactly
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2024, 08:52:08 AM »
I am not feeling it.   The Lakers gig is not a great one.   Too much baggage.  I remember Hurley's response to the Kentucky job, which likely would have paid in this ballpark.    East coast guy.    Maybe the money is enough.   Maybe he feels like a new challenge.   I think he stays put.

He has accomplished so much at UConn. Maybe he feels it's time to move on. College sports is a s### show with NIL. Lakers are an iconic franchise with a tremendous fan base. Dude is a competitor, huge money on the table. My guess is he is taking the gig.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2024, 09:02:19 AM »
UConn options?

If they go after another BE coach my guess is that it would be a Smart decision, rather than Miller time

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2024, 09:05:45 AM »

If he wins...it's great

If he fails...he has 100MM

As a parent I tell my kids about Danny Hurley all the time. He was literally sh!itting himself during the NCAAs right after his brother won back to back. Then he dropped out of school and was back helping at his old HS. He didn't let 20 year old Danny mess with 30 year old Danny or 40 year old Danny.  Nevermind millionaire, he was a college dropout at one point.  It's the best story in CBB.  I will always root for him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2024, 09:09:02 AM »
If they go after another BE coach my guess is that it would be a Smart decision, rather than Miller time

What should we do Dr. V?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2024, 09:17:57 AM »
He very well might become the highest-paid coach in NBA history. And one would assume this move would have LeBron's blessing if it actually happens, right?

If he failed in LA and was fired, he'd have $100 million in his bank account and he'd immediately be the hottest coach in college hoops - very well could go from being the NBA's highest-paid coach to college basketball's highest-paid coach.

So there are very few reasons for Hurley not to leave.

And I have no doubt at all that he'd make whatever slight adjustments needed in his style to work well with NBA players.

I sure didn't expect to hear about this situation today. Just before going to bed last night, I watched a Sportscenter segment about the Lakers closing in on Redick.

Fascinating stuff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2024, 09:21:11 AM »
If he takes it, I wish him the best.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2024, 09:22:46 AM »
UConn is one of the top 5 jobs in the nation, imo, regardless of league.  I know the money is different between leagues but Rutgers has a ceiling, UConn’s is national titles

I agree, but will it be in the next few years? Will it even be in the Big East? These are among the questions for coaches to wrestle with. Right now the Big Ten and SEC are demanding they have the 1 and 2 seeds reserved for them in the CFP. How soon until they make that power play for the NCAA Tourney as well, as well as demanding a minimum number of bids? It's questions like that that will play a role for coaches at Power 4 schools.

It f'ing sucks that this is where we're at with the best game on the planet, but money talks. House is really a game changer, and not in a good way for programs outside of the Power 4.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2024, 09:33:37 AM »
What should we do Dr. V?

Pray?

I hope the Hurley is actually offered and takes the Lakers job, because as others have already said he’s grown on me a lot as a coach and person the last few years and I wish him the best.

As for our guy, I have no doubt that IF UConn is reaching out to another BE Coach it’ll be Shaka Smart.
Hurley carries a ton of weight in Storrs, rightfully so, and it’s obvious he appreciates Shaka and his abilities to run a program more than most other BE coaches. Add to that the Shaka’s history and connections out East, as well as UConn being a legit top 3 program that is basketball centric and you’ve got yourself what appears to be a perfect fit.

I’ve got zero insider info, but logic serves that Shaka would be the first BE call if it comes to that.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2024, 09:35:27 AM »
If Shaka said no to Kentucky, Louisville, and Michigan, I am very confident he’ll do the same to UConn. I also think he’s a decent person and wouldn’t move within conference (or at all)
Bring back FFP!!!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2024, 09:38:09 AM »
I could be proven wrong, but I sense this is a power negotiating ploy by Hurley to UConn.  "Pay me what I'm worth as the highest paid coach in CBB."  He already turned down UK for big $$$. 

If this was a Knicks/Nets/Celtics situation, I would give it much more volume, as he is a hardcore NE-guy.  Hurley, or his family, has never coached west of Staten Island.  He's going to suddenly move out to Cali? 

Again, I may be wrong.  This seems like an ultimate power move by Hurley to (rightfully) to be paid what he is worth.

feedback