collapse

* Recent Posts

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by burger
[Today at 01:15:21 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 01, 2024, 08:28:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[June 01, 2024, 07:03:02 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 PGA Championship Thread  (Read 3867 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2024 PGA Championship Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2024, 06:25:45 PM »
Why? Police have a history of lying. Scheffler doesn’t.

Charges will be quietly reduced or dropped.

The relevant historical comparison isn’t Scheffler vs “Police”.

Scheffler’s vs this particular officer’s? OK.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2024, 06:05:04 AM »
Leaderboard is full of big names. Can Xander finally win a major after knocking at the door? Lots of guys looking to add to their major collection .

The way the course is playing with greens soft it a entirely possible someone shoots another 62 or 63 and posts a good score  early
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2024, 07:04:10 AM »
Leaderboard is full of big names. Can Xander finally win a major after knocking at the door? Lots of guys looking to add to their major collection .

The way the course is playing with greens soft it a entirely possible someone shoots another 62 or 63 and posts a good score  early

It’s not a major
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2024, 07:09:03 AM »
Nah, it is a major.   The trophy says so.   The rain has rendered the course basically defenseless.  So, it feels like Hartford/Phoenix/Detroit.   If a course is soft and there isn't any wind, you can stretch a course to 8000 and these guys will shred it.

I think 20 under wins it.   I don't know who gets there.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2024, 07:12:47 AM »
Given the events this week, course conditions and the fact that the PGA no longer owns the course, I doubt any majors will be held here in the future.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2024, 07:43:53 AM »
Nah, it is a major.   The trophy says so.   The rain has rendered the course basically defenseless.  So, it feels like Hartford/Phoenix/Detroit.   If a course is soft and there isn't any wind, you can stretch a course to 8000 and these guys will shred it.

I think 20 under wins it.   I don't know who gets there.

The problem is it’s straight and the green complexes are easy.  It’s not a major venue.  It’s fine for the Ryder Cup to help America win because it’s driver/wedge.  When JT is saying this out loud, you know it’s just not enough of a challenge for these guys:

Fluff is right.  It won’t host another men’s major, especially after the Scheffler incident and the fact it got sold.

It’ll probably be an exciting finish but a crowded leaderboard with this many low scores shows just what a bad course this is for a major.

Bring on Pinehurst

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2024, 10:21:13 AM »
Almost impossibly, the course looks even easier today. Might take -22 or lower to win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2024, 10:42:39 AM »
The relevant historical comparison isn’t Scheffler vs “Police”.

Scheffler’s vs this particular officer’s? OK.

You are correct.

This officer who broke police rules accusing Scheffler of breaking rules. Show evidence (beyond the word of this cop) or drop charges. The cop was wearing a camera. Show evidence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2024, 01:52:40 PM »
I think Lowery made a tactical error.  Dressed in all black in 90 degree heat and sunshine.  He may be dragging by the end, a la Colin Montgomery.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2024, 02:40:10 PM »
DeCharcuterie making a nice move with the putt off the green.
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2024, 04:36:26 PM »
Colin Parikawa.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2024, 05:57:59 PM »
Congratulations to Xander.

A well earned Major after so many close calls
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2024, 06:11:42 PM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 06:13:20 PM by Uncle Rico »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2024, 08:03:20 PM »
Congratulations on losing the title.   Who, now, is the best player without a major?   Hovland?    Cantlay?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2024, 07:17:02 AM »
Congratulations on losing the title.   Who, now, is the best player without a major?   Hovland?    Cantlay?

Probably Hovland.  Cantlay blows

I’ve been told Talor Gooch is the best iron player of the last 20 years, so maybe him

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2024, 07:33:03 AM »

Easily Hovland for me.  Outside of struggling at the Masters this year, I think he has like 5 top 20s in his last 6 majors.  Like 3-4 of those were top 10s.  He's really damn good and is really close to breaking through and winning a couple IMO.

In other news, I know the feelings on him here are mixed, but amazing tournament image-wise for Dechambeau.  I read 4-5 accounts of how awesome he was with fans and support staff all weekend and his gallery support seemed way stronger than in the past.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2024, 07:50:17 AM »
Easily Hovland for me.  Outside of struggling at the Masters this year, I think he has like 5 top 20s in his last 6 majors.  Like 3-4 of those were top 10s.  He's really damn good and is really close to breaking through and winning a couple IMO.

In other news, I know the feelings on him here are mixed, but amazing tournament image-wise for Dechambeau.  I read 4-5 accounts of how awesome he was with fans and support staff all weekend and his gallery support seemed way stronger than in the past.

The less Bryson, the more likable he is.  Not having him be visible except 4 weeks a year is probably the right amount of Bryson for both himself and the public.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2024, 09:14:46 AM »
The less Bryson, the more likable he is.  Not having him be visible except 4 weeks a year is probably the right amount of Bryson for both himself and the public.

For all the BS with LIV, I think its allowed him to be more himself outside of the PGA guardrails.  His Youtube channel is great and has done wonders for his personal perception.  I think its all helped a lot with his general demeanor and leaving the animosity he had with PGA management.  Its a shame that it took leaving the PGA Tour to unlock that.

People can still dislike him, and thats fine, but you can't say he's putting on a facade.  He's absolutely an odd duck, but he doesn't pretend to be anything else.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2024, 09:25:09 AM »
I have no reason to watch his YouTube channel, and I'll never watch an LIV event. So, as Unk said, I'll see him 4x a year, he'll maybe contend in 1-2 of those majors every year or three, and that will be plenty of Bryson for me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2024, 09:41:56 AM »
I have no reason to watch his YouTube channel, and I'll never watch an LIV event. So, as Unk said, I'll see him 4x a year, he'll maybe contend in 1-2 of those majors every year or three, and that will be plenty of Bryson for me.

Wags is right.  Bryson is a character.  I disagree with him the move to Saudi golf has been good for him. 

He’s always had the social media stuff going on.  His crew have included his TikTok and YouTube videographers for years, even when a PGA member.  He got a ton of mainstream attention from the day he turned pro.  Now, he’s another sellout propping up an autocratic regime under the pretense of growing the game of golf. 

When he first got to the tour, he had a big fanbase and then, well, he got more airtime and more time to talk.  That’s when he starting grating on people and exposed himself as not some weird golf intellect, but just another meathead golfer.  But I liked that meathead golfer because he was so outlandish.

He’ll win another major.  Probably.  Because he is a great golfer

Goose

• All American
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2024, 09:57:16 AM »
My feelings on Bryson have changed a half dozen times over his career and they probably did again yesterday. I think seeing Bryson play four times a year is the perfect amount, especially if he is contention. Can never see myself cheering for him, but he is a very good player and a good villain.

As for the PGA, my interest level was again low and spent less time watching than ever before. The divide in the game and the slew of low scores is not very interesting to me. I think I would have been more interested if Scottie, Lowry or Theegala would have been higher on the board going into the back nine.

While I like Scottie quite a bit, the most interesting part of the weekend was seeing struggle on Saturday. His play has been so incredible it was strange to see him struggle.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2024, 10:49:22 AM »
I did not like Bryson prior to his defection.  Certainly was not rooting for him yesterday.    However, I will agree he projected a persona that was much more likeable this past weekend.   Maybe he has relaxed.   Maybe he has grown up.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2024, 11:11:42 AM »
I did not like Bryson prior to his defection.  Certainly was not rooting for him yesterday.    However, I will agree he projected a persona that was much more likeable this past weekend.   Maybe he has relaxed.   Maybe he has grown up.

I think thats part of it.  He's 30. A lot of what created division happened when he was in his mid 20s, a time when many normal people are kind of idiots, and they aren't wealthy, treated specially, and in the public eye.  Ive mentioned I know various people who knew/interacted with him in golf circles when he was at SMU/early 20s and they all mentioned him as polite, affable, and thoughtful.  I'd like to think thats his base nature and he's returning to it to some extent.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2024, 11:12:48 AM »
Got off the roids.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2024, 11:24:42 AM »
I'm guessing not having a camera right up on him every round and a bunch of interviews has helped things. The relative anonymity LIV has provided him means he can kind of control his public view better.

Less chance for an Augusta is a Par 67 type of comment.