[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation  (Read 2240 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Saw this Q on Twitter so had to get my hands dirty.

https://painttouches.com/2024/04/17/big-east-programs-ranked-by-nba-representation-villanova-uconn-marquette/

If you want to sort any of the metrics yourself, also built a quick interactive dashboard: https://lookerstudio.google.com/reporting/13c7cd58-3137-48e7-a919-040d6f948cdc

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
Re: [Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 03:07:19 PM »
Myles Powell is really angry reading this  :P
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 03:12:20 PM »
Good stuff.  Thank you for posting this.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM »
It’s very funny how easily you can pick out Gordon Hayward

cven7

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 01:52:34 PM »
It’s very funny how easily you can pick out Gordon Hayward

And even funnier because Gordon Hayward didn't play in the Big East

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 03:17:33 PM »
Marquette has had 9 in the past 5 seasons? Pretty crazy considering what the program looked like 3-10 years ago.

Soooo...

1. Jimmy Butler
2. Wesley Matthews
3. Markus Howard
4. Sam Hauser
5. Juan Anderson
6. Dwight Buycks(?)
7. Henry Ellenson
8. Deonte Burton(?)
9. Justin Lewis(?)

Completely off the top of my head.

Edit: Wow I missed OMP... So replace Justin Lewis (I'm guessing he never got into an nba game) with OMP. And I somehow blanked completely on Crowder.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 03:20:50 PM by #UnleashSean »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 05:29:31 PM »
Lewis hasn't played in a regular season game.

Add Jamal Cain too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 05:30:37 PM »
Marquette has had 9 in the past 5 seasons? Pretty crazy considering what the program looked like 3-10 years ago.

Soooo...

1. Jimmy Butler
2. Wesley Matthews
3. Markus Howard
4. Sam Hauser
5. Juan Anderson
6. Dwight Buycks(?)
7. Henry Ellenson
8. Deonte Burton(?)
9. Justin Lewis(?)

Completely off the top of my head.

Edit: Wow I missed OMP... So replace Justin Lewis (I'm guessing he never got into an nba game) with OMP. And I somehow blanked completely on Crowder.

You missed Crowder, OMP, Cain, and DJ Carton. Remove Hauser, Buycks, Burton , and Lewis.

The site Andrei used counts where a player graduated from (or last played for) so Cain counts for us but Hauser/Burton don't
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 07:13:08 PM »
You missed Crowder, OMP, Cain, and DJ Carton. Remove Hauser, Buycks, Burton , and Lewis.

The site Andrei used counts where a player graduated from (or last played for) so Cain counts for us but Hauser/Burton don't

Why wouldn't Buycks count?
VIOLENCE!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 08:18:08 PM »
Lewis and Prosper got “the bag” as the kids would call it these days but it seems hard to believe that their long term pro prospects were helped by leaving early.

Injuries can obviously happen anywhere, so that sucks. It’s also super early, and I get that.

You hear all the time that if a guy can develop in college he can develop in the nba, it’s a full time gig and the coaching and training is way better.
You see these Villanova guys finding their way in NY though, and guys in the ilk of Jimmy Butler, and you wonder if sticking with an elite coach in college isn’t sometimes the best long term career strategy…

I’m not talking about this bounce around stuff either, I just mean life long lessons with someone that wants your best for now and for life

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 08:20:07 PM »
Lewis and Prosper got “the bag” as the kids would call it these days but it seems hard to believe that their long term pro prospects were helped by leaving early.

Injuries can obviously happen anywhere, so that sucks. It’s also super early, and I get that.

You hear all the time that if a guy can develop in college he can develop in the nba, it’s a full time gig and the coaching and training is way better.
You see these Villanova guys finding their way in NY though, and guys in the ilk of Jimmy Butler, and you wonder if sticking with an elite coach in college isn’t sometimes the best long term career strategy…

I’m not talking about this bounce around stuff either, I just mean life long lessons with someone that wants your best for now and for life

::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 08:26:59 PM »
::)

I know, staying in school when you can get paid now is an insane take in 2024, when everyone is already getting paid anyway…

All I’m saying is that jumping early isn’t as sure fire an argument as some make it out to be

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2024, 08:42:36 PM »
Ya think OMax regrets his decision at all? Not a chance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2024, 09:10:05 PM »

Darn! I might have been better had I known that part!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2024, 09:12:36 PM »
and guys in the ilk of Jimmy Butler, and you wonder if sticking with an elite coach in college isn’t sometimes the best long term career strategy…

Jimmy improved an incredible amount in the NBA. He was not an nba allstar at Marquette.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2024, 09:22:20 PM »
Jimmy improved an incredible amount in the NBA. He was not an nba allstar at Marquette.

Yes he improved - but…

1. He was a star at MU
2. He was a first round draft choice.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2024, 10:36:21 PM »
I get that it was an isolated incident, but which single coach was the most instrumental in Jimmys life long journey as a successful basketball player?

You won’t find that coach anywhere in the NBA.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2024, 10:48:14 PM »
Why wouldn't Buycks count?

Because his last appearance in an NBA game was more than 5 seasons ago
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM »

OMax got a bag...Justin really didn't I don't think.

The Mavs are really high on OMax. He dominated the G League and looks to be a real piece for them in the future.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2024, 07:35:59 AM »

I happen to think you're wrong about Lewis, but it could be at least a discussion there.

OMax left to be a first-round draft pick with a guaranteed contract that gives him a nice first step to generational wealth. He played well in the G League and earned several call-ups to the Mavs, who like his defense and energy. He's receiving excellent coaching and support, and he doesn't have to focus on anything except basketball.

Not sure how anybody could argue that staying in college would have been better for him ... except Marquette fans who would have liked him to be part of our team this past season for their own selfish reasons.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2024, 08:47:18 AM »
If you don't think NBA teams are better development facilities than College basketball teams... then you are just inept

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2024, 11:23:26 AM »

Its almost freightening that someone could think this
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2024, 11:53:43 AM »
Its almost freightening that someone could think this

I know, scary.

Almost as scary as not knowing how to spell frightening.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2024, 12:13:38 PM »
He may have meant freightening.  Invented a.word that means sonething akin to adding a burden or being an increasingly large load.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2024, 12:36:16 PM »
Yea I considered that.

Flaming out of the NBA as a first rd pick within a few seasons would be a heavy load to bear, but at least you’re still rich, an NBA player for life, and can go make dough elsewhere while you’ve still got game.

Can’t get that year or decision back, however.

Could be worse too, see my main man Vander Blue. Loved that kid at Marquette