[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Shaka interview by MUbiz
[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Congrats to UConn  (Read 3415 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Congrats to UConn
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 08:10:34 AM »
Shaka has got to get one.  College basketball is littered with mobile 7’ players and we can’t get one in Milwaukee

It's really a shame that he could only make do with a mobile 6'11" guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 08:17:24 AM »
It's really a shame that he could only make do with a mobile 6'11" guy.

We need an aircraft carrier that is quick and nimble, not a landing helicopter assault ship that is quick and nimble.  Huge difference
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2024, 08:20:03 AM »
That's the most dominant two tourneys I can ever remember.

At least going back to the UCLA dynasty days.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2024, 09:12:23 AM »
What I see from UCONN, which is different from every other team, is that they can attack from all spots on the floor.  They have 5 guys that know how to play and understand their roles.  They are elite defensively with tremendous length, physicality, and quickness.  There is no weak link.  There were several games this year, and even last night, where they couldn't hit a 3 but still dominated.  Why?  They can score from other spots, whether it be floaters or at the rim.

Even more impressive is there is zero hesitation from any of their players when they are in a position to score, and they run a variety of sets to take high percentage shots.  Last night the second Purdue took Edey out of the game, Clingan deep posted and scored.  Hurley and their coaches get it.  They don't run the same thing over and over, it's more of an NBA style. 

We were the victim of a good shooting performance by UCONN at their place.  The result was a horrific death within minutes.  What's really scary is if they made a few shots last night they would have won by 30.   The gap right now between them and everyone else is incredible in light of the overall talent and assumed parity across the country. 

So what does this all mean?  We must go to work immediately to counter their dominance. I am sick of it Scoopers.  We need to find a complete arsenal, dudes at every position, with a will and tenacity to destroy them.  Get more length, power, snipers, switchables, quickness, paint erasers, or what have you.  It's time to step the F up and punch back.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 09:16:05 AM by MuggsyB »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2024, 09:31:28 AM »
Their guys attack with purpose. Guys like Chase, Stevie, and Jop dribble with hopes of getting to the rim. That's the biggest difference I see offensively. They maybe have one more shooter cumulatively.

It sounds crazy to say after they got done steamrolling their second straight NCAA Tournament, but they don't feel that far away. Even with TK and Oso leaving. Might not happen in the short term but as a program we're not far off the top. Keep getting some dudes in here, put a value on outside shooting, and LFG.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2024, 09:49:21 AM »
Hurleys statement about UCONN running college basketball for the last 30 years is absolutely true.  6 men’s titles and an incredible 11 women’s titles in that span.  Absolute dominance.

Yet there are people who still don’t consider them a blue blood.  It’s even more impressive that three different coaches have been part of those six men’s titles.
For most American's lifetime, UCONN is the bluest of the blue bloods. And maybe even the Big East is the best conference.

But remember outlets like ESPN have a vested interest in diminishing the Big East. As a business with shareholders, they have a right and a duty to do so.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2024, 09:55:15 AM »
For most American's lifetime, UCONN is the bluest of the blue bloods. And maybe even the Big East is the best conference.

But remember outlets like ESPN have a vested interest in diminishing the Big East. As a business with shareholders, they have a right and a duty to do so.

Because Seth Greenberg said something doesn’t mean espn is diminishing what UConn has accomplished.

This lazy narrative of ESPN diminishing UConn and the Big East isn’t true. 

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2024, 09:58:16 AM »
We are a little bit too sensitive on what ESPN says about anything. They are in the hot take industry, and that's what people like Seth Greenburg do. Rico is correct - that narrative about ESPN and the BE stopped a long time ago. If it was even ever a real thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2024, 10:02:55 AM »
We are a little bit too sensitive on what ESPN says about anything. They are in the hot take industry, and that's what people like Seth Greenburg do. Rico is correct - that narrative about ESPN and the BE stopped a long time ago. If it was even ever a real thing.

If espn was going to target a conference to diminish, it would be the Big Ten.  Big Ten and Fox being in bed together is a far greater threat than the Big East and Fox.

The ESPN stuff is little brother syndrome so many in the Big East have.  It’s pretty embarrassing at this point

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2024, 10:17:17 AM »
Cheers to UConn and Coach Hurley for getting it done again and in commanding style! Congrats!   Happy you are part of the Big East!

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2024, 11:13:13 AM »

I saw that segment and I believe it was Jay Bilas that made that comment, not Greenberg.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2024, 11:20:15 AM »
Many everywhere raving about UConn dynasty and how they have separated from rest of elites.
Question: what can Shaka do to catch up to them or are we just being left behind. If a dynasty can be built in Connecticut in 5 years why not at MU? Time to giddyup Shaka.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2024, 11:23:16 AM »
I saw that segment and I believe it was Jay Bilas that made that comment, not Greenberg.

What was the comment?

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2024, 11:34:47 AM »
If espn was going to target a conference to diminish, it would be the Big Ten.  Big Ten and Fox being in bed together is a far greater threat than the Big East and Fox.

The ESPN stuff is little brother syndrome so many in the Big East have.  It’s pretty embarrassing at this point

They do that in football.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2024, 11:36:25 AM »
They do that in football.

No, they’re honest about football and that stings for Big 18 fans

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2024, 11:37:50 AM »

Yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2024, 11:43:02 AM »
What was the comment?

Just that the only reason Hurley might consider the Kentucky job is the potential uncertainty of the BEAST's future with the changes in college sports environment. Words to that effect.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2024, 11:52:14 AM »
Clingan took a 3 last night. Didn't miss by much, and his form looked fine.

FWIW. Probably nothing, but ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 12:00:14 PM »
Just that the only reason Hurley might consider the Kentucky job is the potential uncertainty of the BEAST's future with the changes in college sports environment. Words to that effect.
Also, it wasn't just Greenberg and Bilas. I forget the third guy's name (not Jay Williams) who dismissed the Big East.

I admit I am biased and too sensitive, but the fact that three commentators drove home the anti-Big East point in short order right after the game sure gave the appearance that they were directed to get opinion on air.

But maybe, that is what is on the minds of the American sports fans right after the Championship game and they are simply reflecting the majority of people's thoughts.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2024, 12:02:01 PM »
Many everywhere raving about UConn dynasty and how they have separated from rest of elites.
Question: what can Shaka do to catch up to them or are we just being left behind. If a dynasty can be built in Connecticut in 5 years why not at MU? Time to giddyup Shaka.

Evan Miyakawa put together a rating of the last two seasons combined. Marquette came in 7th.
https://twitter.com/EvanMiya/status/1777472239082017155

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2024, 12:13:14 PM »
Also, it wasn't just Greenberg and Bilas. I forget the third guy's name (not Jay Williams) who dismissed the Big East.

I admit I am biased and too sensitive, but the fact that three commentators drove home the anti-Big East point in short order right after the game sure gave the appearance that they were directed to get opinion on air.

But maybe, that is what is on the minds of the American sports fans right after the Championship game and they are simply reflecting the majority of people's thoughts.

“Sheesh. Marquette had better find a chair before the music stops.” -little bro

I thought Val was the right person for this. The best basketball conference shouldn’t have to lobby for its own relevance. It has consistently demonstrated its viability if not superiority the best way possible: on the court at Final Fours.

Pardon me if this was already discussed, but isn’t the MSG contract being renewed through 2032 evidence of the long-term stability of the BigEast?

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2024, 12:16:50 PM »
The Big East is well established. Val's been great. The schools understand the value. It's gone much better than anyone dreamed really. It's not even worth debating any longer.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2024, 12:18:08 PM »
For context, I do understand all the disruption and upheaval that is part and parcel of conference realignment and the new frontier (Wild West) of NIL.

What else does the BigEast have to do? What else CAN it do?

The soothsayers were dead wrong the first time our league was summarily dismissed. Hopefully they will be 0 for 2, if prevailing attitudes are not in our favor.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2024, 12:18:31 PM »
Yet there are people who still don’t consider them a blue blood.  It’s even more impressive that three different coaches have been part of those six men’s titles.

They're not a blue blood. That's something you're born into. It's like the royal family, or the Lorde song. If you didn't start a blue blood, you can't become one, and it's easier to fall from that status than achieve it.

Best program in the country? Sure, I'll buy that. But if San Francisco improbably won the next 5 titles, would anyone call them a blue blood? Hell no. Just like UConn isn't and likely never will be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2024, 12:34:02 PM »
They're not a blue blood. That's something you're born into. It's like the royal family, or the Lorde song. If you didn't start a blue blood, you can't become one, and it's easier to fall from that status than achieve it.

Best program in the country? Sure, I'll buy that. But if San Francisco improbably won the next 5 titles, would anyone call them a blue blood? Hell no. Just like UConn isn't and likely never will be.
I suppose. Maybe like IBM and AT&T are blue chip stocks but maybe not Amazon and Apple?

feedback