Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Life after the Bradley Center?  (Read 3793 times)

reinko

• All American
Life after the Bradley Center?
« on: February 24, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »
These recent articles about the BE, got me thinking about MU's eventual new home.  The most obvious option is the Bucks new arena.  But what if the Bucks decide to pack up ala Seattle if they can't get a new one?  It's crazy that it's the second oldest arena in the NBA, only to MSG.

Would they just keep the BE? 

Is a new on-campus arena even a possibility? 

In a dream world I would vote for an on campus, NBA-sized arena with a huge parking lot for tailgaiting.

mviale

• All American
Re: Life after the Bradley Center?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:40:54 PM »
Its been a while since walking down to the BC, but I dont recall it being a huge walk from campus.   BC is fine for Marquette - it is a pretty nice facility.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:04:49 PM »
Best case would be if the bucks got a brand new arena. I would think Milwaukee will eventually build a new arena because its not just the Bucks that use that arena, its MU, the admirals, and they hold a lot of concerts and shows there.
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
its a bit tough now.  prior to the BC, teams played at the arena while the BC was being built. Are they going to have 3 arenas or knock down the BC and play at the arena?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

muguru

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think there is anywhere on campus with a big enough area to build an arena (plus have parking) the proper size needed is there??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:44:34 PM »
The way Marquette is buying land around here and taking out buildings nothing would surprise me.

That being said, no way Marquette builds an on campus arena the size of the BC when they just built the AL.  If they wanted an arena that big they could have used the land where the AL is, the outdoor lot across the street, and the field across from Schroeder if they wanted something that big.

I think right now the focus would be on the new Marquette soccer stadium they are building.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:19:20 PM »
Unless someone is willing to donate $100 million to get things started, there's no way anything gets built on campus.  It took an exhausting amount of resources to get the Al built, did it not?  And that was *only* $31 million and has less than half the seating of an on-campus arena used for half of games (ala Uconn, Nova, St. John's).

As much as I dislike the Bradley Center, at least it's not so far out of the way it's an inconvienience to get there from campus.  And it is better than nothing.  Last I heard, people were still going to Bucks games (though I don't know why) enough to keep the team in Milwaukee, so unless someone is feeling ambitious, I think everyone playing at the BC is stuck there for now.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
Let us not forget that the NCAA prohibits the sale of alcohol at university-owned facilities.  ;)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »
Let us not forget that the NCAA prohibits the sale of alcohol at university-owned facilities.  ;)

No they don't. It is up to individual conferences and university's. Case in point - the Carrier Dome at Syracuse is on campus, university owned and sells booze.

The NCAA does ban booze during championship events which is why there is no booze sold during the tournament, not even at the BC.
But I like to throw handfuls...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »
concerning booze during NCAA championships...When I worked at the BC in college, they did sell beer, but only in the suites.  Seeing drunk fans in the suites either antagonize all the people with Diet Cokes in the stands, or re-sell cans of ML to the people below was priceless.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:09 AM »

No they don't. It is up to individual conferences and university's. Case in point - the Carrier Dome at Syracuse is on campus, university owned and sells booze.

The NCAA does ban booze during championship events which is why there is no booze sold during the tournament, not even at the BC.

I stand corrected.

mustever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 08:06:06 PM »
I've told my buddy this numerous times,instead of building the AL for a practice facility and for the womens bb and volleyball.They should have built an arena like they did at Pitt.Then they don't play second fiddle to the Buxks and Admirals.They could schedule the games when they want at the times they want.Yes parking will be an issue but the parking lot across from the AL could be a ramp where you could double or triple the amount of spaces.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
I've told my buddy this numerous times,instead of building the AL for a practice facility and for the womens bb and volleyball.They should have built an arena like they did at Pitt.Then they don't play second fiddle to the Buxks and Admirals.They could schedule the games when they want at the times they want.Yes parking will be an issue but the parking lot across from the AL could be a ramp where you could double or triple the amount of spaces.

Marquette is the 2nd tenant at the BC ahead of the Admirals. Also, I don't think MU could book enough events to make an on campus arena profitable.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »

There simply isn't the space on campus to build an arena.  They couldn't fit a standard sized arena in the space where the Al is without tearing down Cobeen as well, and given that MU already has a shortage of housing, that isn't an option.  They couldn't put it in the Schroeder Field which is the only open space on campus, because the Abbotsford is there, and they can't tear that down with the need the housing.  Unless they go out and buy every single building that the don't own on one of the other blocks on campus, they'd have no where for an arena.  And if they did that, they'd still have to find somewhere to put all of the students they'd be displacing by tearing down all those apartments. 

MU has essentially maxed out the buildable space on campus right now unless they decide to go outside the normal boundary of campus and extend to the west.  But the cost there to buy up buildings and tear everything down would just be too prohibitive.

mustever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »

Marquette is the 2nd tenant at the BC ahead of the Admirals. Also, I don't think MU could book enough events to make an on campus arena profitable.
The if MU is the second tenant at the BC,why is it that they always have to have a Sat.afternoon game?With the state of the Bucks these day,you'll have much bigger crowds for an MU game on a Sat.night then the Bucks will.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 08:34:38 PM »

The if MU is the second tenant at the BC,why is it that they always have to have a Sat.afternoon game?With the state of the Bucks these day,you'll have much bigger crowds for an MU game on a Sat.night then the Bucks will.

Because the Bucks are the primary tenant.

SPL

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 10:21:03 PM »
Speaking of new on-campus stadiums, what's the status of the new soccer stadium? I thought they were supposed to break ground as soon as the season ended last fall, but I can't find any mention of this on the MU athletic Web site. Is is still gonna be ready for the opening of the "football" season in late August?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:22:51 PM by SPL »

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
These recent articles about the BE, got me thinking about MU's eventual new home.  The most obvious option is the Bucks new arena.  But what if the Bucks decide to pack up ala Seattle if they can't get a new one?  It's crazy that it's the second oldest arena in the NBA, only to MSG.

Would they just keep the BE? 

Is a new on-campus arena even a possibility? 

In a dream world I would vote for an on campus, NBA-sized arena with a huge parking lot for tailgaiting.

How involved is Wisconsin's great senator Kohl over the stadium issue? It seems strange that a publicly elected official would hold his constituents hostage over a stadium. I assume he still owns the Bucks?