[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chicago bars for Fri game  (Read 4036 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Chicago bars for Fri game
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 03:37:12 PM »
Also good pickled herring, dont knock it till you try it
Maigh Eo for Sam

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2024, 03:43:18 PM »
Yeah that was next in line behind Shortstops.

Seconded, they don't advertise it but they'll support MU. Not a great place to go for the MU vs WI game though

I was there for the WI game this year and I’d say it was actually 60-40 MU fans. Still wasn’t a fun day

But yes Will’s is probably the best place in the city to watch mubb this weekend

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2024, 03:56:36 PM »
I was there for the WI game this year and I’d say it was actually 60-40 MU fans. Still wasn’t a fun day

But yes Will’s is probably the best place in the city to watch mubb this weekend

I guess I was going to Wills during the Wojo years when Dekker and Kaminsky were rolling so it was definitely more WI forward than MU forward.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2024, 03:57:59 PM »
Wherever you go pour one out for the Schoolyard. That was a true Marquette bar and the game day atmosphere was unreal during the Buzz years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2024, 03:59:39 PM »
Wherever you go pour one out for the Schoolyard. That was a true Marquette bar and the game day atmosphere was unreal during the Buzz years.

southport in general sucks now. lost all it's charm

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 05:44:26 PM »
southport in general sucks now. lost all it's charm

Agreed the only upgrade from what it once was is Corridor Brewing, every other store front is a downgrade.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 06:55:27 PM »
Agreed the only upgrade from what it once was is Corridor Brewing, every other store front is a downgrade.

Butcher's Tap is okay and Toons is a great dive bar.

The new Arc'teryx just opened so... point taken.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2024, 07:13:17 PM »

Loved going to Schoolyard. Wall-to-wall Warriors watching quite a few exciting games there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2024, 07:29:17 PM »
Was at Schoolyard for a tourney game during the Buzz years. It was the 2012 opening round game against BYU.

Was sitting at the bar with a buddy and was shocked to see Wes Matthews Jr. walk in with some family.

Turned out the Trailblazers were into town to play the Bulls the following night and he wanted to watch the game at a Marquette bar. He actually ended up sitting next to me. Chatted with him for a few minutes but mostly left him alone. Was a nice dude and was very cool to all of the fans at the bar.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2024, 08:10:57 PM »
Butcher's Tap is okay and Toons is a great dive bar.

The new Arc'teryx just opened so... point taken.

Forgot about toons but that's been around for a minute may as well include Lange's then, don't know how much longer they last with it not being a destination bar stretch anymore.

Haven't been to butchers tap, I'll check it out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hallmarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2024, 08:50:58 PM »
I started going to Wills after the watching the Lopez debacle at Four Shawdows in 2008. It was was 2nd straight loss watching there, at the time was a solid MU bar.

Then stopped going to Wills after the Florida loss in 2012.

Schoolyard was always safe.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2024, 08:55:28 PM »
I started going to Wills after the watching the Lopez debacle at Four Shawdows in 2008. It was was 2nd straight loss watching there, at the time was a solid MU bar.

Forgot about four shadows why did they stop supporting MU?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2024, 08:58:30 PM »

Watched the Kim English game, the Pondexter game and the 2010 Orlando final at Schoolyard. Maybe it was my fault…

Hallmarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM »

Because I watched them lose there too much. The $4 stadium cups were amazing.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2024, 08:40:12 AM »

They had either an ownership or management change.  The folks that used to run it back then run and/or own Commonwealth now, hence the MU bar.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2024, 10:26:03 AM »
Wills is a great bar. As Swoopem alluded to, him and I lived down the street from Wills in the immediate post college years. Great place to spend countless hours on a barstool and not really worry about the entry level jobs we were working. It's a cheers type atmosphere with regulars in there, and they have outstanding bartenders who value the craft of mindless conversation. They have always been friendly to MUBB fans and usually have the game on with sound. As i've gotten older i've noticed the place is a total young bro sausage fest after 10 pm. I was probably a part of that category when i was younger, i like to do my drinking before the street lights come on now.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2024, 10:32:17 AM »
Wills is a great bar. As Swoopem alluded to, him and I lived down the street from Wills in the immediate post college years. Great place to spend countless hours on a barstool and not really worry about the entry level jobs we were working. It's a cheers type atmosphere with regulars in there, and they have outstanding bartenders who value the craft of mindless conversation. They have always been friendly to MUBB fans and usually have the game on with sound. As i've gotten older i've noticed the place is a total young bro sausage fest after 10 pm. I was probably a part of that category when i was younger, i like to do my drinking before the street lights come on now.

I lived up Racine about a block away back in '14/'15. Watching battered badger fans walk out of the place after the national title game was entertaining.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2024, 10:35:41 AM »
It's a cheers type atmosphere with regulars in there

RIP Bobby Hull, his red wine and sexual harassment. But I do agree a friend (and her mom) both bartended there for years and another friend bounced and bar backed there for years. They have a great trivia night and it was unreal to watch the bucks championship there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2024, 11:26:20 AM »
I lived up Racine about a block away back in '14/'15. Watching battered badger fans walk out of the place after the national title game was entertaining.

I heard that was they day the bar stopped serving whine...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2024, 12:59:15 PM »
Going to go to Ma O’Briens on the NW side of Chicago.   Was there last two games.  They have my MU flag up inside the bar.    Hopefully there isn’t anything else going on in the bar on Friday night - Go Marquette!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:48:19 PM by Daniel »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2024, 01:20:04 PM »
Going to go to Ma O’Briens on the NW side of Chicago.   Was there last two *games.  They have my MU flag up inside the bar.    Hopefully there isn’t anything else going on in Tte bar in Friday night - Go Marquette!

Just looked it up. There's Marquette bar with a maigh eo flag outside that shows the GAA?! I think you just showed me my new favorite bar.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM »
Just looked it up. There's Marquette bar with a maigh eo flag outside that shows the GAA?! I think you just showed me my new favorite bar.

Great bar!   The owner is from Limerick - very friendly.  Just opened in November.  Used to be The Nil Tap.    Really like it!   One of the bartenders is from a town north of Galway. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:49:22 PM by Daniel »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2024, 06:44:40 AM »
Thanks all for input. Assuming Commonwealth will be a madhouse leaning towards Wills Northwood.

palellama

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2024, 07:36:35 AM »
Going to go to Ma O’Briens on the NW side of Chicago.   Was there last two games.  They have my MU flag up inside the bar.    Hopefully there isn’t anything else going on in the bar on Friday night - Go Marquette!

Looks like they have karaoke starting at 8pm.  Did they have sound on for the last two games?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2024, 08:27:25 AM »
Looks like they have karaoke starting at 8pm.  Did they have sound on for the last two games?

It’s just going to be MU fans belting out We Are The Champions over and over
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback