[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] NC State Preview  (Read 3829 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] NC State Preview
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 09:11:00 AM »
One of the things I’ve noticed in a lot of clips I’ve seen is that burns goes up an over defenders his size or smaller with that high arc shot. I haven’t seen many of him making a lot of buckets over taller and longer defenders.
He’s big and aggressive so taller skinner guys get pushed around, but a taller defender that can stand his ground, is mobile and long, and smart enough to not foul would seem to be a great antidote to Burns’ offensive weapons.

Enter Al Amadou.
Just kidding.

For real though we’ve got a guy like that in Oso. Problem is, I’m more worried about Mohamed Diarra, who’s been a double double machine in their last 6 games. He’s had games of 14,16,12,14,12,13 boards in that span, yikes.
At 6’10 with that rebounding prowess it seems like you have to have Oso on him and Jop on burns, and that’s a bit worrisome.

I’m sure Shaka will cook something up, and I think if he likes the Oso on Burns idea we will see plenty of Ben to help shore up the glass and space them out on the other end.

Otherwise, Stevie on Horne is huge, we need Stevie to have another amazing lockdown defensive effort, with Tyler and Kam picking up O’Connell and Morsell

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2024, 09:32:45 AM »
We’re concerned about one or two guys imagine the consternation at NCState; they have to worry about 6 or 7 MU players all of whom could be game changers ( and will be)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2024, 09:52:33 AM »
Both Doc's and Wellstreet's posts make a lot of sense. Doc, I have to admit I took the bait with your Amadou joke.  :-[

My biggest concern is simply that NC State has taken down both Duke and UNC. I think we win, but I admit to being a little nervous. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2024, 10:01:55 AM »
We’re concerned about one or two guys imagine the consternation at NCState; they have to worry about 6 or 7 MU players all of whom could be game changers ( and will be)

Exactly!

Also, I'll say that NC state has shot 34.7% from 3 this year.  IMO, that means swap into a zone and make em beat you from deep.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2024, 10:57:20 AM »
I know MU wants to fly around on defense, but I find myself wishing they were a bit more judicious on when to double. Each of the first two games there was a stretch where the opposition figured it out and went on a big run from deep. That hasn't bitten MU yet, but not sure I want to keep testing it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 10:58:46 AM »
One of the reasons they double down low is to create turnovers to fuel their offense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 11:01:02 AM »
Exactly!

Also, I'll say that NC state has shot 34.7% from 3 this year.  IMO, that means swap into a zone and make em beat you from deep.

If we swap into zone we'll have to pack it in otherwise they'll beat us from the middle. NC State practices their midrange shots.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2024, 11:03:51 AM »
One of the reasons they double down low is to create turnovers to fuel their offense.

Of course. And it's effective until it isn't, and that's when MU has gotten burned.

The situations I have seen was the double being late and going anyway, which throws the whole defense into scramble mode.

There are good enough individual defenders to play teams more straight up if they are firing from three.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2024, 11:09:16 AM »
I know MU wants to fly around on defense, but I find myself wishing they were a bit more judicious on when to double. Each of the first two games there was a stretch where the opposition figured it out and went on a big run from deep. That hasn't bitten MU yet, but not sure I want to keep testing it.

I think they may mix up the double, go hard as soon as Burns commits to a dribble versus when he catches it. If he dribbles left, he will shoot it. If he dribbles with his right, he will either reverse dribble left to shoot or pass out. He very seldom passes out while dribbling left.

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2024, 11:17:44 AM »

Agree with this.  I'd like them to double a little more strategically, if possible.  There are times when the double comes and the ball handler isn't in any position to score and the first defender is in a good spot defensively.  Doesn't seem necessary at that point, but we get into a scramble drill and both WKU and Colorado made us pay with easy layups/dunks or open threes.  Didn't make us pay enough to win the game...but, I thought there were some unnecessary doubles. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2024, 04:16:53 PM »
JFC people, he's just big and has some skills. He didn't even make honorable mention All-ACC teams.

People are making him out to be some super freak of nature or something like that.

Eh. He’s a really good player. I’ve watched 4-5 of their games and he’s consistently their most impressive offensive player. For a guy who doesn’t shoot threes he’s surprisingly good from 10-18 feet. Uses angles and the dribble well.

But we can exploit him defensively. He can’t guard in P&R. If the guys keep their heads, we should win without too much stress.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2024, 04:43:43 PM »
Eh. He’s a really good player. I’ve watched 4-5 of their games and he’s consistently their most impressive offensive player. For a guy who doesn’t shoot threes he’s surprisingly good from 10-18 feet. Uses angles and the dribble well.

But we can exploit him defensively. He can’t guard in P&R. If the guys keep their heads, we should win without too much stress.

Tower made the point earlier, but MU has faced no shortage of quality bigs this year ... Edey, Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, Clingan, Soriano, Oduro, Dixon, Lampkin, etc.
Burns is a good player as well, but he's not going to catch MU off guard.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2024, 05:28:13 PM »
100%. It’s my only issue with Shaka’s defense. We overhelp which leads to open shots. It works against teams who aren’t great taking care of the ball but…
No Finish Line

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2024, 05:55:16 PM »
JFC people, he's just big and has some skills. He didn't even make honorable mention All-ACC teams.

People are making him out to be some super freak of nature or something like that.

has the collective of scoop Worriers worked themselves up to being more afraid of NC State than Colorado now....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2024, 06:18:19 PM »
has the collective of scoop Worriers worked themselves up to being more afraid of NC State than Colorado now....

Nope
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2024, 06:27:37 PM »
Not too bad.  Waiting for the first missed shot by MU or made basket by NCSU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2024, 06:30:45 PM »
Not too bad.  Waiting for the first missed shot by MU or made basket by NCSU.

You should see the worriers when Marquette is only up a few buckets at half
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2024, 06:33:46 PM »
If we let Diarrha get through the cracks in our defense we are going to have a big mess to deal with.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2024, 07:52:56 PM »
You should see the worriers when Marquette is only up a few buckets at half
Or down by 7 to WKU at the half.

feedback