[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NC State  (Read 11022 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: NC State
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2024, 07:39:11 PM »
Someone on here, tamu maybe, mentioned that if lampkin scored 20 it’s probably a good thing for Marquette.
Maybe it’s the same for Burns.

I know we shouldn’t discount anyone’s skills, especially a big dude when covering him with a bunch of skinny dudes, but it’s hard for me to get worked up about a polished davante with this team we’ve got.

Hope I’m not wrong

You're not wrong.  Although there are days where I do wonder how dominant I would have been at that size with my skill-set and zoomability.  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 07:40:49 PM by MuggsyB »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2024, 07:47:23 PM »
It's fascinating to me that we are talking about Burns.  I think his weight just draws attention...  i get he has been scoring recently, but 13 pts, 4 boards and 3 assists doesn't mean much to me.  Clinghan is a problem for us...guys like Burns and his 4 rebounds and .5 blocks per game is a break for MU.

MU will send a hard double just as they've done all year long..especially in that short corner.

Horne going off is a concern...Stevie should have his number...and while I haven't watched many NC State games I don't see him being dangerous in the pick and roll the way MU guards it (switch everything). 

-6.5 means about a 70-75% chance of victory.  In a 7 game series this is an afterthought.  In the NCAA, anything can happen, but this sets up nicely for MU.  Colorado is certainly better than NC State...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 07:55:44 PM by avid1010 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2024, 08:19:08 PM »
i'm dying to see oso or whoever ends up mismatched with burns, pull the chair out from him...btw, they have him listed at 275!?! can't be the same guys
don't...don't don't don't don't

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2024, 08:22:59 PM »
i'm dying to see oso or whoever ends up mismatched with burns, pull the chair out from him...btw, they have him listed at 275!?! can't be the same guys

🚀,

There's a 0.0% chance he's 275.  :)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2024, 08:26:08 PM »
Oh, I dunno.  People believe some wild things when it comes to height and weight
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2024, 10:21:07 PM »
People believe some wild things when it comes to height and weight

“Mr. Burns, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever to play center against Marquette.” - NC State physician Harold Bornstein
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2024, 10:27:32 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2024, 07:45:35 AM »
Jim McIlvaine had a strong tweet last week - asked why mbb weights are listed and often talked about, but not so for wbb?

Need the equity folks to correct this, please
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2024, 07:53:01 AM »
Jim McIlvaine had a strong tweet last week - asked why mbb weights are listed and often talked about, but not so for wbb?

Need the equity folks to correct this, please
hahahaha

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2024, 10:09:31 AM »
Jop will need to have another good rebounding night. While Burns doesn't grab boards, Diarra is an athletic big with some range and will definitely be crashing the glass from the weak side off of Burns' shot attempts. Have to keep a body on him and box out when the shot goes up.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2024, 10:11:23 AM »
I've seen some posts on their board that Diarra is fasting for Ramadan. Based on the timing of the game, he will not be able to eat and drink that day until late.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2024, 10:24:38 AM »
The 2024 NCAA South regional is the convergence of my historical NCAA BB fandom.

In 1977 I enjoyed being an MU student, Al McGuire and an NCAA championship. Best moment of my fandom life, to this day.

I graduate MU and I move on to UH for law school. UH rewards me with 1983 Phi Slamma Jama, Olajuwon, Drexler, Guy V., et al.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMHID2iDRE

We (UH) win the semifinal game vs Louisville and clearly, I am on the verge of attending 2 universities as they become NCAA champs. Wow what a cool thing

Oh sure, there is  NC State who got hot in the ACC Tourney and kept eaking out wins in the opposite bracket. But this was not David Thompson's 74 NC State...this was just an upstart. No problem.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxN9_SZhHns

Super confident, I went from my fan life pinnacle of 77 to the depth of the 83 last second loss to NC State. A lifetime hurt. ESPN does two 30 for 30s on this one tourney (see above). Epic

Only the '95 NBA Rockets amazing champ run with Olajuwon and Drexler provides any solace here. Guy V Lewis was a longtime friend and client. We coped with the 1983 loss by simply never speaking of it.

MU, UH, NC State....and well Duke (the team I have loved to hate throughout this period).

The South regional brings this all back to my memory.

A fun read. Thanks. Deserving of acknowledgement.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2024, 10:28:49 AM »
I've seen some posts on their board that Diarra is fasting for Ramadan. Based on the timing of the game, he will not be able to eat and drink that day until late.

I wonder if he’s practicing all week. I can’t imagine going through a college practice without water
Bring back FFP!!!

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2024, 10:49:55 AM »
I think the key will be how the defense plays Burns. Imo we cannot double because of Burns passing ability. Do we play Oso or Jop on burns? I would say Oso but he cannot get in foul trouble of this shifts our defensive drastically.

On offense Osos floating is going to be key. Ball screens will eat Burns alive and allow Kolek to drive with his left for easy uncontested layups. Burns will more than likely be playing a drop defense as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2024, 10:53:38 AM »
I have only watched NC State against Oakland this year.  Oakland was sending 3 to Burns and was letting him catch the ball pretty deep.  And Oakland wasn't exactly the most physical defenders being thrown to him, and they didn't seem to be super aggressive.

For anyone who has seen more of NC State, how good is Burns when the double comes early and aggressively, and with a bit more length than Oakland has?  I think we'll be prepared.  He'll create a few open opportunities for his teammates, but I think hard doubles early on the catch and rotating will be better than leaving Oso on an island.

Pick and roll him to death on the other end and force NC State to make a decision on whether to leave him in the game or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2024, 10:55:53 AM »
I think the key will be how the defense plays Burns. Imo we cannot double because of Burns passing ability. Do we play Oso or Jop on burns? I would say Oso but he cannot get in foul trouble of this shifts our defensive drastically.

On offense Osos floating is going to be key. Ball screens will eat Burns alive and allow Kolek to drive with his left for easy uncontested layups. Burns will more than likely be playing a drop defense as well.

MU has doubled down all year in the post.  While Shaka will mix up looks, I don't see any deviation from that.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2024, 11:05:28 AM »
67 seconds of UNC absolutely roasting DJ Burns in ball-screens: https://twitter.com/AndrewKurzeja/status/1745285934948470955

I want to see a healthy does of Oso TK pick n rolls.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2024, 11:07:38 AM »
Barbecue chicken.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2024, 11:11:05 AM »
67 seconds of UNC absolutely roasting DJ Burns in ball-screens: https://twitter.com/AndrewKurzeja/status/1745285934948470955

Exactly. And a big reason NC State beat UNC in the ACC final is largely because UNC couldn't hit their shots. RJ Davis had a ton of open looks that game that he just missed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2024, 11:21:37 AM »
DJ Horne is a good player, who hits about 40% of his 3s. But if he's a "high-powered guard," what is Kam? No other guard on their roster is even close to Horne.

And obviously, they have nobody in the same stratosphere as Kolek. O'Connell, their leading assist guy (3.2), averages under 6 ppg. Nor do they have a defensive dawg like Stevie.

By pretty much any metric, we have a HUGE advantage at guard.

Taylor was a solid player for Butler and has familiarity with us.

Morsell is just a solid overall player and O'Connell is on fire since getting an expanded role. Scoring double figures 6 of the last 7 games.

Obviously I think our guards are better, but NC State can hang.
VIOLENCE!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2024, 01:54:33 PM »

I’m sure they’ll play a lot more drop with Oso’s limited shooting range but we should still have plenty of success. Kolek should feast with that space.
No Finish Line

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2024, 02:37:07 PM »
I just hope he doesn't fall on one of our guys........splat.  In all seriousness, Oso should have at least 5 dunks in this game with the dimes Kolek and Kam can provide off of drives.  Have to stay out of foul trouble.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2024, 04:57:42 PM »
Taylor was a solid player for Butler and has familiarity with us.

Morsell is just a solid overall player and O'Connell is on fire since getting an expanded role. Scoring double figures 6 of the last 7 games.

Obviously I think our guards are better, but NC State can hang.

Thank you for acknowledging that none really is a “high-powered guard.”

Doesn’t mean I think they stink, nor did I even imply that. We’re just not facing a Curry or Jordan or even a guard as “high-powered” as Kam Jones.

As you said, our guards are simply better. Which isn’t surprising, as they’re better than most.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2024, 11:25:44 AM »

Just one note that this was from earlier this season, before they had a come-to-Jesus meeting with Burns about his weight and conditioning, as outlined in this piece in the Atlantic: https://theathletic.com/5369796/2024/03/27/dj-burns-nc-state-sweet-16-march-madness/?source=user_shared_article.

That said, clearly MU should still try to exploit him in PNR, but just be aware that this video may have been around the nadir of his performance this season, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Sturgeon General Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2024, 12:34:46 PM »
I've been told by reliable sources that in Tokyo, Osaka, and the major Japanese cities, the restaurant owners are always greatly concerned when a Sumo contingent walks through the door.  I think they changed the buffet model there because they were losing a boatload of coin.  :)

Tyoko and Osoka are gonna put on an all-you-can-eat BBQ chicken pick-and-roll buffet