[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening!  (Read 5732 times)

WildBill77RT

• Scholarship Player
  • I know where the Superbar is
10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening!
« on: March 24, 2024, 01:53:34 PM »
March 24, 2014
After a tweet from IWB about Shaka Smart coming to Marquette as a “Done Deal”, MUScoop fills with Ron Paul ‘It’s happening’ GIFs before finding out the information was not a done deal.  Shaka goes to Texas, we land Wojo, and we only achieve one tourney win over the next nine years.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43037.0

March 24, 2024
10 years to the day after we learn Shaka is going elsewhere, Marquette wins over Colorado and reaches the sweet 16 for the first time since 2013 in Shaka’s 3rd year at the helm.

How can you not be romantic about college basketball?
#TrustTheProcess
\\\oo///

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: 10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 01:56:06 PM »
Meant to be. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 05:18:55 PM »
I will never forget the excitement I felt when Marc Marotta called me about 4:45 and told me MU landed Shaka. I left my office thinking Shaka was heading to MKE and was over the top jacked up. Sadly, Marc is not here to celebrate the success of the Shaka era. I miss texting with Marc.

Have to add, a week later TAMU earned his stripes in my book with breaking the Wojo news. I didn’t believe him, or didn’t want to believe him, but he was spot on.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 05:27:10 PM »
Remember, Shaka stayed at VCU for one more year before going to Texas.

But a very poetic coincidence about March 24!

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 05:29:35 PM »
Goose. I’m sorry about the loss of your friend, especially at so young an age.

Shaka going through what he did at Texas might have been the best thing that could’ve happened as far as keeping him here at Marquette for a long time.

This is a great time to be a fan of our Warrior Eagles 🦅. I wish Marc could be here to witness the Shaka era. I don’t doubt he is seeing it from another plane, far above this Earthly one.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 05:33:19 PM »
GoFast

Shaka going to Texas probably is the best thing that could have happened for MU basketball. He learned some hard lessons and learned as a coach. Right guy at the right time this time around.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 05:34:15 PM »
Remember, Shaka stayed at VCU for one more year before going to Texas.

But a very poetic coincidence about March 24!

I always thought of Richmonders as very pleasant people for the most part. Jerks are everywhere though. But when word leaked out that MU was in talks with Shaka in 2014, "Marquette" quickly became a virtual swear word in Richmond. I thought the South really might rise again and invade and occupy Milwaukee.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 05:36:20 PM »
He wasn’t wrong just early?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 05:46:56 PM »
Another important event from that day ten years ago, I think it was unofficial beginning of the Meat Summit crew and scoop as not been the same. The founding members were quite active that night and the rest is beautiful history.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 05:48:52 PM »
Everything happens for a reason.

This cathartic journey would make for an excellent 30 for 30 (although a special on Al should be made first IMO).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 05:59:30 PM »
Another important event from that day ten years ago, I think it was unofficial beginning of the Meat Summit crew and scoop as not been the same. The founding members were quite active that night and the rest is beautiful history.

Absolutely correct, Goose. Cherished membership is available to a select few by invitation only and is non-transferable. Those offered undergo a very arduous vetting process. Once admitted, the bond of brotherhood is eternal and unbreakable, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 06:17:35 PM »
March 24, 2014
After a tweet from IWB about Shaka Smart coming to Marquette as a “Done Deal”, MUScoop fills with Ron Paul ‘It’s happening’ GIFs before finding out the information was not a done deal.  Shaka goes to Texas, we land Wojo, and we only achieve one tourney win over the next nine years.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43037.0

March 24, 2024
10 years to the day after we learn Shaka is going elsewhere, Marquette wins over Colorado and reaches the sweet 16 for the first time since 2013 in Shaka’s 3rd year at the helm.

How can you not be romantic about college basketball?
#TrustTheProcess
Assuming the romance you are referring to is about the Shaka/MU story and not the Wojo/MU  story which you also mentioned.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dpucane

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 06:32:52 PM »
I will never forget the excitement I felt when Marc Marotta called me about 4:45 and told me MU landed Shaka. I left my office thinking Shaka was heading to MKE and was over the top jacked up. Sadly, Marc is not here to celebrate the success of the Shaka era. I miss texting with Marc.

Have to add, a week later TAMU earned his stripes in my book with breaking the Wojo news. I didn’t believe him, or didn’t want to believe him, but he was spot on.

Did we ever get clarity on how close it really was?

I had heard the athletic dept was in the office waiting for his fax when he called to change his mind but I never got anything confirmed.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2024, 06:33:40 PM »
#DungDeal
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2024, 06:36:53 PM »
Did we ever get clarity on how close it really was?

I had heard the athletic dept was in the office waiting for his fax when he called to change his mind but I never got anything confirmed.

He turned them down in person.

And its funny you think that anyone would have used a fax machine even ten years ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 06:39:54 PM »
Speaking of that night, I wonder if MU faces Buzz who Dick Strong would be pulling for. He is back in the mix at MU, but still a big Buzz guy. Would not be surprised if he was A&M game tonight.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2024, 06:47:00 PM »
We met a personal friend of Shaka’ s at the BET. He told me it was a done deal before Dodd’s BFF leaked the news.  Shaka wanted to tell the current players before accepting and the leak killed it.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2024, 06:49:25 PM »
We met a personal friend of Shaka’ s at the BET. He told me it was a done deal before Dodd’s BFF leaked the news.  Shaka wanted to tell the current players before accepting and the leak killed it.

I don't think that's accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2024, 06:57:34 PM »
That is what the person told me. I wasn’t there so only passing on what i was told. What did you hear or know.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2024, 06:58:40 PM »
He turned them down in person.

And its funny you think that anyone would have used a fax machine even ten years ago.

I had to send a fax just about a month ago.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2024, 07:04:11 PM »
That he thought about it over night and turned them down in the morning. I think the #donedeal happened even after he turned them down, but I can't remember the exact timing.

The issue mostly was that MU didn't have a President or a permanent athletic director.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2024, 07:05:45 PM »
It was a done deal and Shaka was going to tell his team at about 6pm est and fly up to MKE. It was a done deal for an hour or two.

CryingShaka

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2024, 07:07:57 PM »
What's happening?

Not much other than beating seeds 8 slots and lower than MU.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2024, 07:09:50 PM »
What's happening?

Not much other than beating seeds 8 slots and lower than MU.

You're a pretty poor troll. Dynamiting the pond is neither creative, nor is it sporting.

A good fisherman lays out his line, and lies in wait. You had a good idea, but the username was a dead give away. You probably should have just started the topic and went away for an hour or so.

Hope this helps.

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2024, 07:13:30 PM »
Goose. I’m sorry about the loss of your friend, especially at so young an age.

Shaka going through what he did at Texas might have been the best thing that could’ve happened as far as keeping him here at Marquette for a long time.

This is a great time to be a fan of our Warrior Eagles 🦅. I wish Marc could be here to witness the Shaka era. I don’t doubt he is seeing it from another plane, far above this Earthly one.
Marc’s contributions are a significant part of MU’s basketball and community legacy
He would have been elated by Shaka’s culture and success

feedback