'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: My Lingering Concern with This Team  (Read 8180 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: My Lingering Concern with This Team
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2024, 11:45:51 AM »
Bully Kolek to take away him driving to his left and limit the pick-and-roll with Oso. Try to stay close to Kolek, Kam and Jop on the perimeter but concede 3s to any other Marquette player.

Yes, it's a real bold game plan that only a few coaching geniuses recently figured out.

The coaching geniuses need the players.   And there only so many Providences playing thug ball without accountability out there.   
Take in the big picture, everybody. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2024, 11:47:39 AM »
"Exposed" Last year we faced Izzo in their backyard with Tyler's hand being hurt for 36 hours and our team never facing any real internal adversity.   This year we have had a ton of adversity and played very well despite it.  We  have had 3 games against the 1# team in the nation that has a unique set of talent that has the speed and length to stay at home on D(and if they do get beat...have Klingon as a backstop).  Additionally they are an elite shooting team...where it is nearly impossible to stop all of them all the time.  Name me one team that can match Uconn 1 through 8 that we will see before the elite eight or final four and then I will be worried about being exposed.

Columbus is not in MSU’s backyard.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2024, 11:58:55 AM »
54-16 over the last two seasons.  My only concern is health.

Yep

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2024, 12:01:17 PM »
The elephant in the room is MU has now been exposed. Teams now know how to beat Marquette. Pressure our guards, pound the ball into the post, and obviously rebound and shoot the ball well. Most teams will not have the personnel to do so, but for those who do, its game on, aina?

Sounds like a formula to beat every team.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2024, 12:08:14 PM »
What a load of garbage

onepost

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2024, 12:17:49 PM »
We haven't beaten a great team since 2023.

This has been a John Martin (Field of 68) talking point for weeks that I disagree with. I mean, what are you supposed to do? We had 1 opportunity with our team at full strength, @ UCONN. Our worst showing of the year. The only other opportunities were @ Creighton sans Kolek and Oso, UCONN sans Kolek, UCONN sans Kolek with about 3 guys needing to be wheeled out by the 10 minute mark. All games the guys player their assess off.

We had a NUMBER of tourney wins (SJU, Providence, Nova, Seton Hall) up until 24-48 hours ago. I get the narrative, but certainly don’t agree with it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2024, 12:19:22 PM »
There’s nothing Marquette can do about it. But it’s reality.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2024, 12:26:49 PM »
My concerns are:

Injuries and getting to the S16

And … some people like to pretend that
Shaka’s lack of success in the NCAAT for over 10+ years is not a thing.  It is.

He’s what 1 - 6 ? Or 1 - 7 in the Dance?

They will be a 2 seed.  Not making the 2d weekend again this year would be a Huge disappointment

In terms of the NCAA Tournament, if it was just about player talent and the preparation of our coaching staff, I would say Marquette is right up there with the other top teams in the country.

But 35 games into the season we continue to insist on doing stupid things. Unforced turnovers. Yesterday we fouled three 3 point shooters and if memory serves me, UCONN converted 8 of 9 of those free throws. I don't know that we were going to beat them under any scenario yesterday. But in the NCAA Tourney, you can't simply put your lack of discipline on display for the whole country to see, and expect to beat anyone by handing them 8 points, even a 15 seed.

I'm concerned that from here on, with or without Kolek, the troubles we have will be all self-inflicted.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2024, 12:30:46 PM »
The only concern anyone should have right now is our health. And it's now both Tyko and Stevie.  Mitchell is an integral part of this team. We need him at full strength.  It's also worth noting that the loss of JTY for most of the year proved to be a significant loss. It changed our rotations for one, and he created havoc defensively when we needed a spark. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2024, 12:33:46 PM »
But 35 games into the season we continue to insist on doing stupid things. Unforced turnovers. Yesterday we fouled three 3 point shooters and if memory serves me, UCONN converted 8 of 9 of those free throws. I don't know that we were going to beat them under any scenario yesterday. But in the NCAA Tourney, you can't simply put your lack of discipline on display for the whole country to see, and expect to beat anyone by handing them 8 points, even a 15 seed.

I'm concerned that from here on, with or without Kolek, the troubles we have will be all self-inflicted.

Wat

We’ve played 34 games… I think us sending a shooter to the line for 3 FTs happened zero times, not three. And our TO% was 15.2%.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2024, 12:34:17 PM »
Finally.  After 3 years of Shaka implementing his system, teams have found a way to beat his team
Shaka's teams have been so exposed they can muster nothing better than being back-to-back 2 seeds. Indeed.

The wisdom of dentists.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2024, 01:13:13 PM »
In terms of the NCAA Tournament, if it was just about player talent and the preparation of our coaching staff, I would say Marquette is right up there with the other top teams in the country.

Yeah….i dont recall us fouling their 3 point shooters once……much less 3 times.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2024, 01:27:33 PM »
Three years ago our only concern was getting rid of Wojo. We have come a long way since then.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2024, 01:33:44 PM »
Hard to believe the team is 25-9  and looking at a 2 seed. (3 at worst)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2024, 01:36:57 PM »
Sounds like a formula to beat every team.

Shoot well and get rebounds? Revolutionary!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2024, 01:39:37 PM »

We need to hit the portal
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2024, 01:45:01 PM »
Bully Kolek to take away him driving to his left and limit the pick-and-roll with Oso. Try to stay close to Kolek, Kam and Jop on the perimeter but concede 3s to any other Marquette player.

Yes, it's a real bold game plan that only a few coaching geniuses recently figured out.

So, if there are a few coaching geniuses in our way, it’s great to know Chase, Ben, and Zaide are going to have some monster games from the 3 point line!!!

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2024, 01:47:50 PM »
Harder to believe is what this team has endured. If you had told any of us in October that by the end of the year we would be playing without either of our point guards, and managed to not drop from the 2-line?!!!

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2024, 02:23:17 PM »
Yeah….i dont recall us fouling their 3 point shooters once……much less 3 times.

Yes. My mistake (2) and I'll own it . It was Friday night against Providence and it was twice, NOT 3 times. Underlying point remains the same, though------you don't foul jump shooters and you certainly don't foul 3 point shooters

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2024, 02:38:19 PM »
Not really. Our lead against PC did not "evaporate." Ebbs and flows during games happen.

And FT% is simply not that important. I don't understand why people can't understand basic math.

when there is a puddle, does it "ebb and flow" or evaporate??

teams "a' and "b" go to the ft line 20 x each.  team "a" makes 15 team "b" makes 12

team "b" loses by 2

DO THE MATH
don't...don't don't don't don't

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2024, 02:45:37 PM »
My concern is health

Kolek is not 100%
Mitchell is not 100%
Ross is not 100%

Jones is worn down
Oso is worn down

UConn and Iowa state for example do not look hurt or worn down…

To be a final four team that is the challenge
All of those guys should not play until fully recovered. After all, they might aggravate.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2024, 03:54:17 PM »
Thinking about TAMUs original post:

Marquette hasn't beaten a top tier NCAA team since Creighton before New Year's, but we also haven't lost to any team we would face in Rd 1 or 2 (or worse) since the Butler debacle.  The last four losses are to Creighton on the road and 3 increasingly competitive losses to the best team in the country.

I'm not worried about the trend line.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2024, 05:56:41 PM »
#7 overall seed.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2024, 06:13:00 PM »
I think people are starting to jump ship who were calling a championship run a few weeks ago.  Or at least making excuses why it won’t happen.  It gets real in a one and done scenario. 

I think we’d all take a sweet 16 so we can feel better about the program. But this season will not be a true success or a game changer without at least an elite eight.  Their top ten ranking all year will mean little if they don’t prove it when it counts.

Get healthy. And kick some ass.  Kolek your banner is waiting if you lead your team in March.

Porky seconds Shooter McGavin's sentiment.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2024, 06:43:33 PM »
My concern is health

Kolek is not 100%
Mitchell is not 100%
Ross is not 100%

Jones is worn down
Oso is worn down

UConn and Iowa state for example do not look hurt or worn down…

To be a final four team that is the challenge

Ahhh the "tired legs" argument has come back.

How many teams do you think are at 100%?

feedback