Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So once we decided winning the Big East title game wasn’t important….  (Read 4785 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Yes, you “won”. Happy now. You, and posters like you, are why I rarely post anymore. It would be nice just have a reasonable discussion without worrying whether you need to prove someone right or wrong.

Your discussion points were not reasonable. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
It’s not about proving anyone wrong. It’s that none of us have the facts and it would be foolish to think we know better than those that do.

denverMU

• All American
Have a nice night gents, I’ll be cheering for MU next week

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Have a nice night gents, I’ll be cheering for MU next week

Let’s Go!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jfp61

• All American
Why the hell did we play Stevie? I don’t disagree with sitting Tyler but you are admitting there is a more important goal. Winning the NCAA tournament. So we should have sat Stevie and probably Kam, Oso, and Jop! Might as well rest them all.

Because stevie could play.. and tyler could't

BallBoy

• All American
Because stevie could play.. and tyler could't

Bingo. Stevie was cleared to play and his shoulder issues could be managed with a brace.

Tyler wasn’t cleared to play so he didn’t.

The main point is still valid though if all players are cleared to play they should even if it means managing the minutes. Otherwise you are playing favorites or stating one player is more important than another.  Everyone could aggravate an issue they previously had.

The coaches and players played to win with the players available. Except for a short stretch they held their own.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Why the hell did we play Stevie? I don’t disagree with sitting Tyler but you are admitting there is a more important goal. Winning the NCAA tournament. So we should have sat Stevie and probably Kam, Oso, and Jop! Might as well rest them all.

Stevie's stat line is still decent from tonight 's game.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Yeah, not all injuries are created equal. Some there are a real risk for worsening the injury. Others are more about pain management. My guess is that Stevie's injury was the latter. It's going to hurt, but minimal concern of worsening
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
The determination was made our goal is to win in the NCAA tournament.Fine.  After getting the sh#t beat out of him yesterday, Stevie should have sat for sure.  Oso sure looked like he was injured. Either Tyler plays or rest all our starters for the games that matter.
And resting all our players would ensure nobody has an injury or aggravation. The same philosophy  with Kolek on a larger scale.
And it fits right in with the modern day coddle the athlete approach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
And resting all our players would ensure nobody has an injury or aggravation. The same philosophy  with Kolek on a larger scale.

🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
Yeah, not all injuries are created equal. Some there are a real risk for worsening the injury. Others are more about pain management. My guess is that Stevie's injury was the latter. It's going to hurt, but minimal concern of worsening

This is obviously true, but after the beating he took against PC, I could see the logic in sitting him out against UConn.  My first thought when seeing him in the brace was, "Why are they playing him?"

Bottom line, if he was cleared and he wanted to play, and there was no significant risk of aggravating the injury, why not let him play?

Watching the team this year, there are two things about Stevie.

1.  It is overlooked how essential he is to this team.  During his three-game absence early, we had our lackluster win over St. Thomas, got drubbed by Providence and only beat Georgetown by 30.
2.  He just takes a beating.  I was joking with my wife before the PC game that the over/under on how many times he would get knocked on his butt was 5.5.  I counted 12 times he was knocked to the floor (there's a good chance there were more as I likely missed one or two here or there) and that doesn't count our teamwide habit of going to the ground after every layup attempt.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

dgies9156

• All American
I’ll say the same thing I said in the Tyler thread:

1) Shaka is our coach.

2) Nobody cares more about winning than Shaka.

3) Nobody cares more about our players than Shaka.

4) We have a great medical and training staff.

5) In Shaka I trust.

tower912

• All American
I understand your original point, denverMU.  You offered a bold opinion.   My question is why are you offended it was challenged? 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers

I agree Dung Willie.  I thought it was pretty poor of Tyler not to play and Shaka not forcing him to play.

Both Tyler and Shaka owe it to great fans and alumni like you to have Tyler out there playing.  It probably ruined your weekend that Marquette lost and that’s unacceptable. 

Stay strong, buddy. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Shaka reported that Tyler wanted to play last night after the prov game.  Tyler played on an ankle earlier this year that looked black. He’s tough as nails.

All leads me to believe he can’t play because he is hurt to a point he can’t make the movements needed to suit up. I don’t think it’s some sort of strategic decision.   

I hope another five days changes that and he can be effective. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Shaka reported that Tyler wanted to play last night after the prov game.  Tyler played on an ankle earlier this year that looked black. He’s tough as nails.

All leads me to believe he can’t play because he is hurt to a point he can’t make the movements needed to suit up. I don’t think it’s some sort of strategic decision.   

I hope another five days changes that and he can be effective.

I think it’s very likely strategy played a part in the decision.

denverMU

• All American
I understand your original point, denverMU.  You offered a bold opinion.   My question is why are you offended it was challenged?

Thanks, upon further reflection ( and time passing from a frustrating loss) I took the push back too harshly. No issues. GO MU!

tower912

• All American
To buttress your original point, Stevie did not take a jumper yesterday.  And a couple of his rebounds he went up for with only one hand.
   However, I do not believe MU had given up on the game going in.  And Stevie had been cleared to play.   Ergo, he played.   Only 25 minutes.   When the game got away, he sat.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
To buttress your original point, Stevie did not take a jumper yesterday.  And a couple of his rebounds he went up for with only one hand.
   However, I do not believe MU had given up on the game going in.  And Stevie had been cleared to play.   Ergo, he played.   Only 25 minutes.   When the game got away, he sat.

Generally agree with this, but  I actually thought Stevie played too much down the stretch when it was obvious we wouldn't win.

Oso was subbed out at 7:25 with us down by 11. Shaka didn't take out Stevie until 1:39 remained and we were down 14 (after 2 FTs by Stevie). If Shaka was basically conceding the game anyway, it would have been more prudent to get Stevie out when we were down 16 with about 6 minutes to go (or anytime in the next 2-3 minutes). Could have gotten the kids more PT, too. Frankly, I thought Kam played too much late as well, but we only had so many subs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Fingers crossed we play on Friday.  Training and medical staff are going to be earning their paychecks this week. 

CountryRoads

• All American
Fingers crossed we play on Friday.  Training and medical staff are going to be earning their paychecks this week.

Indy is Friday. Anything else is complete robbery and worthy of investigation.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
  Going forward, I know that all of us would like to be privy to inside info on the condition of every single player. That’s simply not a reasonable expectation. I would say, “Watch the Lines.” Duh.

Marquette fans are a pretty knowledgeable, perceptive bunch, evidence on this board sometimes to the contrary 😆. It’s quite evident just from watching recent games that many guys are either generally banged up or nursing specific, localized injuries.

The likelihood of playing FRI as opposed to TH is around 85%. I think that, absent any surprises, the coaches won’t be disclosing too much info. Obviously, without seeing the guys in action at practices this week, I think it should be obvious that watching the wagering lines will be the best way to glean the general health of the team this Friday. And no I am not insinuating that coaches pass info on to the insiders who pass this on to sports books. The good thing about the NCAA is that fans can attend a public shoot-around and see if something is a bit off.

BallBoy

• All American
In my opinion, Shaka didn’t sit Oso because he was concerned about an injury or getting injured but as an adjustment to Clingan. Clingan was parking in the lane and wasn’t guarding Oso beyond 5ft. Oso was getting his 10ft push shot but was missing them. Unfortunately, that is a liability of his game right now.

Down 11 we needed points and by putting Gold in we can do a pick and pop or a drive and kick out for 3. This would pull Clingan out of the lane to generate driving lanes and isolation of someone like Jop. Only problem was once we took out Oso, Clingan had a much better scoring run on the other end of the court.

CountryRoads

• All American
In my opinion, Shaka didn’t sit Oso because he was concerned about an injury or getting injured but as an adjustment to Clingan.

Then Shaka lied because in the press conference he said he sat him because he wasn’t moving well.

MU82

• All American
Then Shaka lied because in the press conference he said he sat him because he wasn’t moving well.

Yep
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 02:13:34 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson