Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Poor Free Throw Shooting  (Read 4044 times)

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
Poor Free Throw Shooting
« on: March 03, 2024, 01:29:33 PM »
Is anyone else concerned about this team's extremely poor free throw shooting?    In a close game, it could make a difference.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Poor Free Throw Shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 01:33:16 PM »
Is anyone else concerned about this team's extremely poor free throw shooting?    In a close game, it could make a difference.

There are a number of things that concern me, but that’s pretty far down the list. Not much can be done about it anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 01:35:15 PM »
Sultan

Serious question, aside from injuries, what are your concerns the rest the way?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 01:55:08 PM »
Sultan

Ability to score against a physical defense is my top concern. A poor three point shooting night is probably second.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 02:00:49 PM »
Sultan

Agree on both. Have said multiple times, if the season ends with a loss we will not need to have much debate on what happened. A cold shooting night is number for me.

I will add, they do need to shoot FT better, especially the bonus. They miss too many front ends and that is big in the tournament.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 02:04:48 PM »
I continue to be surprised that good shooters like Kam and Joplin are meh from the FT line.

But I agree with y’all that there are bigger concerns.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 02:17:19 PM »

No
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 02:20:59 PM »
Sultan

Agree on both. Have said multiple times, if the season ends with a loss we will not need to have much debate on what happened. A cold shooting night is number for me.

I will add, they do need to shoot FT better, especially the bonus. They miss too many front ends and that is big in the tournament.

What frustrates me more is our rebounding, especially offensively. Four of our guys around the basket yet the one opposing player under the basket gets the ball and scores.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 02:23:58 PM »
No

You injured your oblique again. Sorry I misdiagnosed, its chronic.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 02:44:46 PM »

no largely doesn't matter at all

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 03:07:59 PM »
no largely doesn't matter at all

And yet we sweated the end of our game at St. John's because of poor FT shooting. All points matter.

Teams usually have at least a couple of weak spots in a game. While FTs may not be high on the list, they do sometimes matter. However, you did qualify your post by saying "largely". I agree with that. It's just as easy to blame a loss on missed rebounds, poor 3 point shooting, turnovers, etc. I really do not like sentences beginning with the word "if" in comments after a loss. At the end of those sentences, you know there will be something along the lines "...then we would have won". But we didn't.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 04:15:11 PM »
Sultan

Goose

#1 for me is also a poor shooting night

#2 is a “let them play” ref crew against a physical, “bully ball” team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 05:24:06 PM »
I shan't sleep.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 05:48:11 PM »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 05:56:48 PM »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2024, 06:20:12 PM »
There are a number of things that concern me, but that’s pretty far down the list. Not much can be done about it anyway.
Not a Big concern in Big East, because there are not many fouls called. It is a problem, if there are a lot of fouls called in an NCAA tournament game.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2024, 06:37:26 PM »
Lenny

I think #1 is the biggest fear and hard to ignore it. All they need is a hot 6 game run and I like their chances. That said, it only takes one bad night.

If they are going deep, they likely will need to find a way to overcome at least below average shooting night. Defense will need to be their calling card in the tournament.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2024, 07:21:21 PM »
Shooting free throws at home, away and on neutral court are probably all different.
Opposing student sections behind the basket waving any distracting thing they can and shouting at the top of their lungs has to challenge one's concentration.
Versus a very still, calm student section at the Fiserv.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2024, 07:56:10 PM »
Lenny

I think #1 is the biggest fear and hard to ignore it. All they need is a hot 6 game run and I like their chances. That said, it only takes one bad night.

If they are going deep, they likely will need to find a way to overcome at least below average shooting night. Defense will need to be their calling card in the tournament.

MU is very difficult to stop when their main guys are shooting well from deep. It's time for an MU squad to get hot in March, and not just the BE tournament. If good Kam, Kolek and Jolp show up I feel good about elite 8 or better.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2024, 08:12:51 PM »
Yes too many of our top players frequently miss critical free throws down the stretch.

Nothing can be done in season to change .  Hopefully they all work on it off season.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2024, 11:09:09 PM »
Raising our season FT% by 4% would put us in the top 50 nationally for FT%.

Raising it by 4% would also have resulted in us making 17.8 more FTs. Divide that by the 29 games we've played and that's a whopping 0.61 points a game.

So, no. Im not really worried about our FT%.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:53:54 AM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 05:38:37 AM »
What frustrates me more is our rebounding, especially offensively. Four of our guys around the basket yet the one opposing player under the basket gets the ball and scores.
What you describe is defensive rebounding.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2024, 06:42:10 AM »
I am.  It's not only that we miss them, but we seem to miss them at crucial junctures.  We do so much else well hopefully it won't come back to bite us.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2024, 07:01:52 AM »
Raising our season FT% by 4% would put us in the top 50 nationality for FT%.

Raising it by 4% would also have resulted in us making 17.8 more FTs. Divide that by the 29 games we've played and that's a whopping .61 points a game.

So, no. Im not really worried about our FT%.

This

MU shoots FTs at 72%, the national average. FTR is a 2 correlate to MU's offensive efficiency, while eFG% is 98. Shoot eFG% at 57 or better and MU wins most times (only two losses in Shaka's three years when that happened, none this year). Let's focus our collective Scoop angst on Trey shooting consistency.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2024, 10:02:31 AM »
No
Goal is National Championship