Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Monday night will be one of the toughest games we play this year  (Read 2903 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Monday night will be one of the toughest games we play this year
« on: February 23, 2008, 07:23:18 PM »
Nova is playing for their lives right now.  They got robbed by the refs against G'Town and should have gone to OT in that game.  They beat UCONN today.  They're 7-7 in the league, and 17-9 overall and playing for the dance essentially.

This will be a very difficult game.  I do not expect to win it, but I do expect this to be a fantastic game to watch.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Re: Monday night will be one of the toughest games we play this year
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
Yes, they are playing well.  Yes, they are playing for their tournament lives.  However, we are playing very well and for once appear to be peaking as the season ends.  I know we have to respect our opponents and that this is going to be a tough game, but we shouldn't go all Lou Holtz and make Villanova out to be the best team in the country.

I think we win this game.  BTW, a couple of weeks, Chicos, you and many others declared that Cincy looked like a sure loss, and that trip turned out pretty well for us.

Villanova is playing better and all BE road games are tough, but we have won four straight and are playing at a high level.  Expect to win the game.

4everwarriors

• All American
As They Say...
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »
when the going gets tough, those who think they are tough, get going.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »
Very true...I've also had a great vibe about this team even during the ND game...I just don't for Monday night.

Hope you guys are right.

I actually feel better about the G'Town game then I do the Nova game.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
We have just as much to lose in this game as Villanova.  Villanova needs this to get into the tourny.  We need this to get a better seed in the tourny so we can have easier path to the sweet 16.  3 very tough conference games left and this one might be easiest of the 3 as we definitely have more talent than Villanova this year.

If we are as good as we think we are, we will win this game.  This team is at a huge confidence level right now that they can beat anyone.  I have to believe the only way we lose is if Dom is significantly hobbled.  The injury did look bad but he looked pretty good.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:33:02 PM »
It will be a tough road game, for sure - but, as stated above, they all are in the BEast.  But there is no reason to think we cannot win this game - we can win it.  We need a great game plan and we have to execute it, but we are playing much better the last 4.25 games - like a TEAM instead of 5 guys on the court like we played the games before.

So....
GO MARQUETTE!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »
Never said we couldn't win it, I just don't think we will

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:39 PM »
road game and nova is notorious for turning it on at the end of the year.  Reynolds is a stud.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »
Never said we couldn't win it, I just don't think we will

I agree Chicos. Nova holding on to beat UCONN was huge for them, For that matter, The Cuse is in the same boat. Nova and Cuse are playing for their NCAA lives and wins against MU would be huge for them. Expect barn burners for the last two road games. I wouldbe thrilled to steal one of them.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 01:32:04 PM »
feelings are great - we all have them and none really means anything, as its the 10 on the floor that will decide this.

No negative waves - MU winning a close one is the feeling to have!!

muball

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
need DJ for his defense most of all against  Scotty, he has really shut down some good point guards even though he is not 100%

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
This 'Nova game will definately be a tough one since it's on the road and 'Nova is playing to save their NCAA tourney lives. However, it just doesn't worry me like the trips we had to take to places like Louisville and UCONN. 'Nova just isn't a team that is equipped to really expose our biggest weaknesses like the aforementioned teams are. They don't feature a Hasheem Thabeet, David Padgett, Earl Clark, or Jeff Adrien. They are built very similiar to us and are perimeter oriented just like we are. MU is a more experienced team than 'Nova and our core has more experience than their core players in playing in big games. Plus, I really feel our guards can effectively defend almost any set of guards in the country. Especially when the guards don't have a real good interior presence to compliment them. It's teams that feature a balance of good frontcourt talent and good backcourt talent that gives us the biggest problems in defending. We can pretty much go straight up against "Nova and not have to worry about doubling down on a big guy. I just don't see their guards being able to break us down enough off the dribble. They're going to have to settle for a lot of three's more often than not. If they don't go off from beyond the arc we will we take these guys.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:00:10 PM by MUFanInGreenBay »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »
I'm actually not all that concerned about this game.  Despite their recent trend of playing well, Villanova doesn't really do anything all that well.  At least when we played UConn and Louisville, they were clearly exceptional at 2-point field goal defense and blocking shots.  By exceptional, I mean both are top 10 in the nation.

Villanova's good at... oh... nothing, really.

http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=Villanova&y=2008

And they're only average at protecting the ball.  We're going to force turnovers and get out and run on them.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Pardner

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
I think this will be a close one as Villanova is tough on the road.  We do match up well with them, but they have talent.  The good news is, they just had a physical game vs. UConn...while we were able to rest vs. Rutgers.  We will be ready.

Would like to see:

1)  Better sub play on the road like we saw in the BC.  The extended subs played poorly at SJU (beyond Cubes, Fitz and Trevor).  We need to go deep on our bench in the BET, especially if we get the 5 seed.  Let's step it up here.

2)  Strength on strength.  Our guards vs. theirs.    Both teams play small.  I like our ours as they can also play big.

3)  Outside shooting.  On the road, Vill has the edge I feel.  Need Fitz and Cube to step up here off the bench to give us some energy...and also for Mo to look for the trey a bit more. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »
I think we have a great shot here and I think it will depend on whether or not we come out strong to start the game.  A slow starat and falling behind by 10 will only keep thier crowd in it and make it a tough grind.  BTW, best thing about MU joining the BE.....in RI I finally get to see a lot of games on the local tube!!

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 04:43:54 AM »
I hope we win tonight but I'm cautiously optimistic due to the fact that during our last 4 games we.    Didn't are very much zone therefore our suspect shooting wasn't exploited.  As long as we continue to defend like we've done the last 4 games and continue to penetrate at will against man to man defenses I think we win easily.  If nova comes out in a zone and we start buildung brick houses then it could be a long night.  Either way I also have a better feeling about GT than I do this game or our finale at the carrier dome.
Regardless, Go Marquette!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 08:08:06 PM »
Glad glad glad to be wrong.

I turned it on when we were winning 12-7....next thing I know we're losing 17-9.  I turned it off for the next 45 minutes.

I think this should leave out all doubt...these boys are dancing

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
James played fantastic tonight
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
Also, Chicos, please keep on hyping our opponents, because it appears to jinxing them.  What a huge win!

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »
MUGB, you nailed this one in your analysis.  Thanks for keeping the faith and seeing this game with a clear head.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: James played fantastic tonight
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »
Also, Chicos, please keep on hyping our opponents, because it appears to jinxing them.  What a huge win!

I don't think I overhyped them....we're just better tonight.  This was a hot Villanova team we just took care of.

Of course, I think we're going to beat G'Town....I guess I should take that comment back now.   ;D

feedback