Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIL legal update  (Read 4435 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: NIL legal update
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2024, 04:42:14 PM »
Who paid Wojo’s buyout?
I guess we can ask Wojo to post a picture of the check?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2024, 04:42:57 PM »
Who paid Wojo’s buyout?

i think that was part of weekend at bernies student debt smokes for votes
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2024, 04:43:32 PM »
I guess we can ask Wojo to post a picture of the check?

It wasn’t Marquette
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 04:48:41 PM »
Who paid Wojo’s buyout?

The Vatican. St Jude is the patron saint of hopeless cases, and the Vatican has money set aside in a St Jude fund. It was an easy decision. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2024, 04:51:46 PM »
The Vatican. St Jude is the patron saint of hopeless cases, and the Vatican has money set aside in a St Jude fund. It was an easy decision.

Vatican bought out Jimbo, too

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2024, 05:01:53 PM »
It wasn’t Marquette
I'm willing to be anything the check was from Marquette.

I understand your point, and I agree with the sentiment. I know boosters pay a lot of the buyouts via donations. I agree with the inequity of how players and coaches are treated. We'll just have to disagree on the facts.

And while I agree that it seems like coaches come and go as they please, the buyouts have prohibited some coaches from leaving or impacted the net compensation at the new school. But the buyouts are mostly a nuisance or simply viewed as a cost of doing business. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2024, 05:11:31 PM »

I understand your point, and I agree with the sentiment. I know boosters pay a lot of the buyouts via donations. I agree with the inequity of how players and coaches are treated. We'll just have to disagree on the facts.

And while I agree that it seems like coaches come and go as they please, the buyouts have prohibited some coaches from leaving or impacted the net compensation at the new school. But the buyouts are mostly a nuisance or simply viewed as a cost of doing business.

lol

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2024, 05:28:07 PM »

Sorry, what? Perhaps if you mean, in an abstract sense, some people who provide funds to the university also bought out Wojo. But that seems like a generous interpretation “university.” MU certainly did not buy out Wojo.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2024, 06:28:20 PM »

And while I agree that it seems like coaches come and go as they please, the buyouts have prohibited some coaches from leaving or impacted the net compensation at the new school.

Care to provide one single example to back this up?

MochaJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2024, 06:57:22 PM »
Sorry, what? Perhaps if you mean, in an abstract sense, some people who provide funds to the university also bought out Wojo. But that seems like a generous interpretation “university.” MU certainly did not buy out Wojo.

Buyout came from a guy with a last name that rhymes with Richels

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2024, 07:00:31 PM »
In part.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2024, 08:23:40 PM »
Sorry, what? Are you saying MU did not satisfy its contractual obligation to Wojo? Or are you saying Wojo resigned and MU had no financial obligation to Wojo? I'm very confused.

My understanding is Wojo was fired and all or some of the money MU needed to satisfy its contractual obligation to Wojo was donated to the athletic department.

If MU didn't stoke Wojo a check then they still owe Wojo. Right?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2024, 09:02:24 PM »
Sorry, what? Are you saying MU did not satisfy its contractual obligation to Wojo? Or are you saying Wojo resigned and MU had no financial obligation to Wojo? I'm very confused.

My understanding is Wojo was fired and all or some of the money MU needed to satisfy its contractual obligation to Wojo was donated to the athletic department.

I think it's just semantics. The boosters paid for it through large donations to the B&G fund (or something similar), and then MU paid the buyout from those donations.

So, it's not like it came out of MU's operating budget, but they technically were the ones to directly pay Wojo.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2024, 09:12:31 PM »
I think it's just semantics. The boosters paid for it through large donations to the B&G fund (or something similar), and then MU paid the buyout from those donations.

So, it's not like it came out of MU's operating budget, but they technically were the ones to directly pay Wojo.

He doesn’t like NIL and thinks coaches having freedom to leave when they want is different because it costs the universities which isn’t true

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2024, 07:14:47 AM »

$9.2 million total buy-out plus deferred/owed compensation

https://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/MU990FY22TY2021_PUBLIC.pdf

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2024, 07:36:47 AM »
There is a cost to MU even if donors provided 100% of the funds to buy out Wojo.  Charitable donations aren't infinite assets. The money that came in to buy-out Wojo, would have likely come in to fund something else that was a priority for the University.  Had Wojo not needed a buy out, do you think the donors in question would not have supported the institution in some other manner?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2024, 07:51:20 AM »
There is a cost to MU even if donors provided 100% of the funds to buy out Wojo.  Charitable donations aren't infinite assets. The money that came in to buy-out Wojo, would have likely come in to fund something else that was a priority for the University.  Had Wojo not needed a buy out, do you think the donors in question would not have supported the institution in some other manner?

If a tree fell in the woods….

You could easily argue that firing Wojo brought more donors back than they lost in paying him to become a yoga master and terribly boring studio analyst. 

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2024, 07:56:00 AM »
If a tree fell in the woods….

You could easily argue that firing Wojo brought more donors back than they lost in paying him to become a yoga master and terribly boring studio analyst. 

Could be.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2024, 10:25:24 AM »
It is very hard to prove this because schools don't announce they did hire a coach because the buyout was too much.

The evidence that buyouts are material factors in limiting coaching changes is that virtually all contracts include them. Unless your position is that these schools and lawyer are idiots that press for buyouts, and coaches and agents are idiots for fighting against them, then the fact that they are there is all the evidence needed. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:30:25 AM by WhiteTrash »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2024, 10:31:06 AM »
$9.2 million total buy-out plus deferred/owed compensation

https://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/MU990FY22TY2021_PUBLIC.pdf

I wonder if he was paid out over time in a lump sum? Taxes would have been brutal on the lump sum.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2024, 10:44:33 AM »
It is very hard to prove this because schools don't announce they did hire a coach because the buyout was too much.

The evidence that buyouts are material factors in limiting coaching changes is that virtually all contracts include them. Unless your position is that these schools and lawyer are idiots that press for buyouts, and coaches and agents are idiots for fighting against them, then the fact that they are there is all the evidence needed.

lol

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2024, 10:55:02 AM »

Just take the L.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2024, 10:55:51 AM »
I wonder if he was paid out over time in a lump sum? Taxes would have been brutal on the lump sum.

Page 52 of the form. Paid over time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2024, 11:21:34 AM »

Supposedly UCLA refused to pay Jamie Dixons high buyout and ended up with Cronin instead.  No idea if true.

But overall youre right,  buyouts don't meaningfully penalize coaches for jumping ship early
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2024, 03:19:51 PM »
Supposedly UCLA refused to pay Jamie Dixons high buyout and ended up with Cronin instead.  No idea if true.

But overall youre right,  buyouts don't meaningfully penalize coaches for jumping ship early

Yeah, that's the only one I remember. I believe there was a case involving Rick Barnes, too, but it ended up not being an issue after all.

By and large, all buyouts do is bring a little gelt to the school that was jilted. Which ain't nuthin'.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback