collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Men’s Undershirts  (Read 1607 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Men’s Undershirts
« on: February 15, 2024, 01:31:02 PM »
I like white undershirts. Both crews and v necks. I have been rolling with Hanes for years, sometimes mixing it up but generally on the higher end of their various offerings. Last year I was buying “Hanes Black Label”.. they went for $10 a pop and were great. Now, it’s as if they have disappeared.

It’s been very much hit or miss.. I’ll buy some shirts.. and immediate realize I got a bad batch.

At any rate, I think it’s time to experiment a bit. Any suggestions on a good men’s t-shirt? This is for both wearing under another shirt, and for lounging around the house (when I’m not in my shorty robe and actually put on a shirt). Usually I swap them out after several months for a new batch… price not a big factor, but at the same time I’m always looking for a deal.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Men’s Undershirts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 02:02:25 PM »
Depends on what fabric you like.

I recently switched from hanes cotton to David Achy micromodal.

I like them, but the feel/fabric isn't for everyone

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 02:13:09 PM »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 03:34:08 PM »
Most of my tees are Vuori

Edit: Strato Tech
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:36:11 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 03:46:58 PM »
For a lot of years my primary underwear and t-shirts were Hanes and Jockey. They sucked. Never comfortable and the boxer briefs didn't last at all. I also often got other brands to try them out (Nike, Lululemon, Tommy John, etc.). Honestly, nothing I really liked.

Then, about 6-8 years go I bought some Duluth Trading Company Buck Naked boxer briefs and haven't looked back. They are far and away the most comfortable underwear I've ever worn and they last forever. I still have the first two pairs I got and they are honestly still like new. I've obviously added more pairs as I retired all other brands.

This past Christmas my wife bought me some of the matching t-shirts. They're fantastic. Pricey, but if they last like the briefs, it'll be worth it. They have fairly regular sales that soften the blow a bit.

Like some of the others mentioned on here, the fabric might not be for everyone, but I love it.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 04:08:06 PM »
I only wear them under dress shirts. They are complete "commodity clothing" for me. Just get ten or so Hanes...Jockey...FOTL cotton shirts, wear them a couple of years, then replace the whole bunch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 05:38:50 PM »
https://www.32degrees.com/products/mens-4-pack-cool-v-neck-tee?variant=32018478628953

Hold up much better than cotton undershirts IMO.

I tried these as Costco sells them.

I liked them better than the hanes cotton. But not as much the micromodal

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 05:50:20 PM »
Don't buy Jockey, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 08:16:26 PM »
I like white undershirts. Both crews and v necks. I have been rolling with Hanes for years, sometimes mixing it up but generally on the higher end of their various offerings. Last year I was buying “Hanes Black Label”.. they went for $10 a pop and were great. Now, it’s as if they have disappeared.

It’s been very much hit or miss.. I’ll buy some shirts.. and immediate realize I got a bad batch.

At any rate, I think it’s time to experiment a bit. Any suggestions on a good men’s t-shirt? This is for both wearing under another shirt, and for lounging around the house (when I’m not in my shorty robe and actually put on a shirt). Usually I swap them out after several months for a new batch… price not a big factor, but at the same time I’m always looking for a deal.
I was a Hanes guy, but in recent years have trended to Costco. 100% Cotton and decent thickness.  They have mostly crew , but when they have V neck, I will get a few packs.
If I am on the road and no Costco nearby and need refills, I will get Hanes.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 11:43:13 PM »
i go commando up top, wear the ole wife beater style for workouts or just hanging out.  down below i've got to check out stillawarrior's suggestion and check out some of those bucks.  seen the commercials which are hilarious.  there's a duluth trading store in waukesha over by the home depot across from the menards on bluemound.  kinda like a dudes vicky's secrets or freds of hollywood eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 08:52:57 AM »
Yeah! The quality of men's underwear has gone down. I still have 3 BVD undershirts, with the union label, that my dad wore. They are still soft and have not yellowed over the years. Like some here I get mine at Costco.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 11:17:27 PM »
Most of my tees are Vuori

Edit: Strato Tech

Seconding Vuori.  I don't own any of their T-Shirts but the pieces I do have from them are fantastic, but very high/end expensive.  Today more than ever, you get what you pay for and really good products unfortunately tend to be very expensive, so if you just wear them as true undershirts or when lounging at home, Vouri might be a bit much if those are the only conditions you wear them in and don't intend to wear as a regular shirt when the weather allows.  I can't argue with 21's recommendation though. Their products are top notch. 

Another brand worth checking out is Mack Weldon.  Mack Weldon products are also on the high end of the basics spectrum, but more practical and slightly less refined, luxurious and trendy as Vuori.  As a result, their price point is slightly lower as well, although still pretty expensive for what they are, and unlike Vuori, they only do Men's.  I have probably 12 pairs of Mack Weldon Every Day Extended Crew Socks and swear by them.  It's all I wear in Winter.  I have a few of their long sleeve pima cotton T's as well which are super comfortable.  The only thing I don't like about them (and most other brands) are the stingy collar/ribbing.  Because I wear long T's under sweaters in winter, I prefer T's with a generous collar rib of at least 1/2 inch, preferably 3/4 but those are hard to find.  Mack Weldon's T-Shirt collars are too narrow to my liking, but quality and comfort wise they're great. 

J-Crew and Lands End also very solid and Lands End in particular has a very generous collar width. 

As luck would have it, NY Times' Wirecutter just published an article on Men's T-Shirts a few days ago so hopefully this helps.   

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-white-t-shirts-for-men/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 11:24:38 PM by Disco Hippie »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 04:11:08 PM »
Seconding Vuori.  I don't own any of their T-Shirts but the pieces I do have from them are fantastic, but very high/end expensive.  Today more than ever, you get what you pay for and really good products unfortunately tend to be very expensive, so if you just wear them as true undershirts or when lounging at home, Vouri might be a bit much if those are the only conditions you wear them in and don't intend to wear as a regular shirt when the weather allows.  I can't argue with 21's recommendation though. Their products are top notch. 

Another brand worth checking out is Mack Weldon.  Mack Weldon products are also on the high end of the basics spectrum, but more practical and slightly less refined, luxurious and trendy as Vuori.  As a result, their price point is slightly lower as well, although still pretty expensive for what they are, and unlike Vuori, they only do Men's.  I have probably 12 pairs of Mack Weldon Every Day Extended Crew Socks and swear by them.  It's all I wear in Winter.  I have a few of their long sleeve pima cotton T's as well which are super comfortable.  The only thing I don't like about them (and most other brands) are the stingy collar/ribbing.  Because I wear long T's under sweaters in winter, I prefer T's with a generous collar rib of at least 1/2 inch, preferably 3/4 but those are hard to find.  Mack Weldon's T-Shirt collars are too narrow to my liking, but quality and comfort wise they're great. 

J-Crew and Lands End also very solid and Lands End in particular has a very generous collar width. 

As luck would have it, NY Times' Wirecutter just published an article on Men's T-Shirts a few days ago so hopefully this helps.   

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-white-t-shirts-for-men/

Great post. I am a Vuori guy all day. I love their shirts and pants, too. I am a t-shirt and jeans or shorts guy, so Vuori fits my needs. I also have some of their polos, long sleeved items, hoodies, and a hat. Big fan. My kids and wife are also devotees. I do have some items from Rhone, too. I try to only wear a suit/tie/undershirt once in a blue moon, and never if I don’t have to.

I don’t know much about Mack Weldon other than I am familiar with the name. I wear Darn Tough and Smart Wool socks all year long, and I only own Tommy John underwear. Sometimes these items are more expensive, but as you said, you get what you pay for.

Don’t know much about Lands End, haven’t worn their stuff in awhile. I have tried LL Bean for a couple items, and they just don’t fit me quite right. I plan to hit up their store soon. J Crew is my go to for hooded sweaters (merino or cashmere) I am a huge fan.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 08:58:36 AM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 09:18:52 AM »
Big difference, IMO, between an undershirt and a T-shirt.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 11:07:08 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

PS- I am remembering frugal I am with certain things

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 12:26:42 PM »
https://www.chillboys.com/collections/bamboo-t-shirt

You won't regret it JB

I’ve never tried that company’s products but yes, bamboo t-shirts and sleep shorts are fantastic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 03:14:52 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

PS- I am remembering frugal I am with certain things

I appreciate your frugality, but I do note your comment, "Usually I swap them out after several months for a new batch…"  Seriously, you replace all your undershirts multiple times each year? Maybe it's time to spend a little more and see if the new ones will last more than a few months.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 03:19:42 PM »
I appreciate your frugality, but I do note your comment, "Usually I swap them out after several months for a new batch…"  Seriously, you replace all your undershirts multiple times each year? Maybe it's time to spend a little more and see if the new ones will last more than a few months.

Not JB, but why would I spend $32 for an "undershirt?" IMO there is a difference between an undershirt and a dress t-shirt.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 03:34:12 PM »

If I am a betting man, I am betting the under that JB knows how to actually operate a washing machine.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 03:35:48 PM »

Not JB, but why would I spend $32 for an "undershirt?" IMO there is a difference between an undershirt and a dress t-shirt.

Personally, I buy quality things that last and can justify their cost based on that longevity.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 03:46:36 PM »
Personally, I buy quality things that last and can justify their cost based on that longevity.

Yeah I would rather spend $30 on a couple packets of cotton ts and replace them every other year.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 03:50:31 PM »

I don't entirely disagree, honestly. I know that mine were bought on sale, but I did admit they are pricey. But, the value proposition makes more sense if someone pays $32 for an undershirt once every several years versus $5 for an undershirt "every several months." As I acknowledged in my earlier post, I'm on my first round of undershirts from Duluth Trading Co. and they're only a couple months old. But I do know that I purchased my first two pairs of boxer briefs from them -- also pricey, also bought on sale -- approximately 6-8 years ago. I added six new pairs about two years later. I still have all eight pairs and they are still all in perfect condition. For many years I had to replace worn out briefs pretty much every year. I am 100% certain that the amount of money I spend on briefs has decreased significantly since I started buying higher quality. I'm hopeful that the same will be true of the undershirts.

Edited to add: the fact that they are the most comfortable undershirts I've ever worn is certainly an added bonus.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:52:49 PM by StillAWarrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 04:14:03 PM »
Same SAW.  I buy Darn Tough socks now and as my older socks run out I slowly replace them with more Darn Tough.  Sure they're expensive, but they have a lifetime guarantee and I've not had so much as a loose thread from from them in the five plus years I've had them.

Plus, it's just less wasteful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 10:14:53 PM »
Yeah I would rather spend $30 on a couple packets of cotton ts and replace them every other year.

Nasty

feedback