'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Post Mortem from NY Post  (Read 10885 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Post Mortem from NY Post
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 10:07:45 PM »
Sorry, but Pitino should have walked away and screamed at someone in the game to foul Kolek.

The game was over. It didn’t matter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2024, 10:46:18 PM »
The game was over. It didn’t matter.

Down 8 with about a minute left to a team that missed a bunch of FTs and was loose with the ball down the stretch the very last time they met.

You don't think you at least have to foul Kolek immediately, try to make MU successfully inbound the ball, and then foul again to send someone to the line for a 1-and-1?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2024, 11:40:52 PM »
Wow we have chicken shiit fans.  Why?  We beat them twice twice year.  Don’t believe in Shaka’s recruiting?   Don’t believe in Shaka’s coaching?    I would think that St John’s would not want to play Marquette.

Man back in December you were good King COLE
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2024, 06:55:52 AM »
Down 8 with about a minute left to a team that missed a bunch of FTs and was loose with the ball down the stretch the very last time they met.

You don't think you at least have to foul Kolek immediately, try to make MU successfully inbound the ball, and then foul again to send someone to the line for a 1-and-1?
And, the game at Fiserv last March when the walk-ons were in the game with an 8 point lead and under 40 seconds to play?  I believe StJ has FTs to win but couldnt convert.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2024, 06:57:12 AM »
A significant part of not wanting to play SJ in the BET is that it is one of their home courts.

If I have a choice between a number of teams that are otherwise fairly equal, I’d rather not play one that is playing effectively a home game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2024, 07:05:05 AM »
And, the game at Fiserv last March when the walk-ons were in the game with an 8 point lead and under 40 seconds to play?  I believe StJ has FTs to win but couldnt convert.

They had a chance to tie
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2024, 07:06:19 AM »
Elite BE foe…

https://nypost.com/2024/02/10/sports/st-johns-battles-but-falls-to-big-east-power-marquette/
Any win for a Pitino coached team is an Excellent win. Even sweeter now that Pitino is back in The Big East with The Johnnies as it generates this kind of positive publicity.
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2024, 07:48:19 AM »

Nope. It was over.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2024, 08:54:29 AM »
Sorry, but Pitino should have walked away and screamed at someone in the game to foul Kolek.

He did twice.

The game was over. It was a three possession game with MU up 8 with 1:02 left in the game. Since St John’s turned it over and MU had possession, it was the equivalent of a 4 possession game.  MU would have to had missed four straight front ends.

Not only were they behind in the score but the refs let them play so St John’s had to foul at least two times to even get into the bonus.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2024, 09:09:57 AM »
As has been mentioned, last year in a very similar situation, MU missed several free throws in the last minute and turned the ball over on an inbound play, SJ made a a few circus 3 point shots, including one that turned into a 4 point play when an MU player was pushed into the shooter, and SJ ended up with a free throw that could have tied the game and sent it to OT.

The vast, vast majority of coaches would have started fouling with a minute left. All it takes is one missed FT and a quick 3 on the other end and the screws start to tighten. A lot of teams keep fouling a lot later than that down by 8.

I bet that if MU threw in the towel down by 8 with a minute to go fans would rake Shaka over the coals.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2024, 09:26:55 AM »
I was at the game and was shocked they didn't foul. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2024, 10:06:23 AM »

Nope. It was over.

You and I usually agree on basketball stuff. You're wrong on this one.

Foul, MU misses a 1-and-1, SJ hits a quick 3, foul, MU misses a 1-and-1, SJ hits a quick 3 ... it's a 2-point game with 25 seconds left.

I mean, c'mon Sultan ... You saw the earlier SJ game. You saw the game at Creighton a few years ago - we were down 5 with like 5 seconds left and still came back to tie at the buzzer and then win in OT. You saw the Davidson NCAAT game. Those are just three off the top of my head where the situations were very similar.

Was it probably over? Sure, we can agree on that. Definitely over? No way; we're both old enough to have seen plenty of last-minute craziness on the court.

I bet that if MU threw in the towel down by 8 with a minute to go fans would rake Shaka over the coals.

You'd win that bet ... and I'd be one of the rakers.

It was stunning that Pitino didn't foul there. And if he let himself get distracted by some silly confrontation with one of his own players, that's not an excuse, it's an indictment.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2024, 10:39:37 AM »

Foul, MU misses a 1-and-1, SJ hits a quick 3, foul, MU misses a 1-and-1, SJ hits a quick 3 ... it's a 2-point game with 25 seconds left.

I mean, c'mon Sultan ... You saw the earlier SJ game. You saw the game at Creighton a few years ago - we were down 5 with like 5 seconds left and still came back to tie at the buzzer and then win in OT. You saw the Davidson NCAAT game. Those are just three off the top of my head where the situations were very similar.

Was it probably over? Sure, we can agree on that. Definitely over? No way; we're both old enough to have seen plenty of last-minute craziness on the court.

It was stunning that Pitino didn't foul there. And if he let himself get distracted by some silly confrontation with one of his own players, that's not an excuse, it's an indictment.

Nope. I am right. It was over. You’re just doing your normal sportswriter being dramatic schtick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2024, 11:21:51 AM »

Nope. I am right. It was over. You’re just doing your normal sportswriter being dramatic schtick.

You're just doing your "I said it, so even though evidence was presented that refutes what I said, I'll die on my hill" schtick.

Apparently, you also thought the Creighton and Davidson games were over. And you certainly were right about those.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2024, 11:31:42 AM »

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2024, 11:39:50 AM »
Was the StJ's game last March over when Shaka had the walk-ons in?  Shaka thought so, so did I, we were both wrong.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2024, 11:42:50 AM »

Agree. I turned to my buddy and said "wow, the HOFer is saying no mas early". Postgame, Pitino really had a bug up his azz about Soriano's stupid technical in particular and then we all saw the sideline interactions. Something is going on there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2024, 11:48:34 AM »
Agree. I turned to my buddy and said "wow, the HOFer is saying no mas early". Postgame, Pitino really had a bug up his azz about Soriano's stupid technical in particular and then we all saw the sideline interactions. Something is going on there.

What you saw was jealousy.  Rick has a bunch of mercenary players who don't want to play together as a team.  At some point that will change for him, but he is old.  Does he have 4 or 5 more years of coaching to get a group of guys together like Marquette does?  Who would bleed for each other and are incredibly smart players?

Time will tell.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2024, 12:39:35 PM »
You're just doing your "I said it, so even though evidence was presented that refutes what I said, I'll die on my hill" schtick.

Apparently, you also thought the Creighton and Davidson games were over. And you certainly were right about those.

Nope, nope and nope. You’re now 0/3.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2024, 01:00:20 PM »
The game was probably over.

I wouldn't have cared if Shaka didn't foul in the same situation. I would guess SJU's win probability was less than 1%. It didn't matter.

I was happy they didn't foul, but only because it allowed us to leave 10 minutes earlier.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2024, 01:03:45 PM »

Maybe he’s lost the locker room?!?

He said something to the effect of “you better bet they will listen to me and be ready next game!”

We will see slicky Ricky

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2024, 01:06:49 PM »
The game was probably over.

I wouldn't have cared if Shaka didn't foul in the same situation. I would guess SJU's win probability was less than 1%. It didn't matter.

I was happy they didn't foul, but only because it allowed us to leave 10 minutes earlier.

I think the reason they shoulda given it a go is that we were just hitting the bonus.

They extend the game and we are shooting 3, 1 and 1s.

That gives a lot more chance for chaos. And they saw us shooting 1 and 1 at MSG
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2024, 06:52:08 PM »
My general rule for "game over" is "what's the most improbable comeback I've ever seen?". Answer for awhile has been TAMU down 10 with 42 seconds left against Northern Iowa.

Ricky P threw in the towel early
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2024, 06:56:09 PM »
Nope, nope and nope. You’re now 0/3.

What TAMU said. You’re wrong. Enjoy the hill.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2024, 07:01:51 PM »
What TAMU said. You’re wrong. Enjoy the hill.

You keeping saying it...but nope. Game was over. Signed, sealed and delivered.