'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Post Mortem from NY Post  (Read 10886 times)

real chili 83

• All American

Columbo

• Walk-On
Re: Post Mortem from NY Post
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 09:39:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing as I like reading Pitino's comments about his team's defensive mindset....so true!

The header "Powerhouse" & "Marquette" has a nice ring to it, especially coming from the NY Post!!!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 09:46:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing as I like reading Pitino's comments about his team's defensive mindset....so true!

The header "Powerhouse" & "Marquette" has a nice ring to it, especially coming from the NY Post!!!

I loved watching us take down Pitino's team twice. I am not looking forward to seeing them in the BET or next year though.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 11:13:06 AM »
I loved watching us take down Pitino's team twice. I am not looking forward to seeing them in the BET or next year though.
100%

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 11:33:34 AM »
I am.  New season, new teams, new challenges.  To become the best, you need to beat the best.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 11:46:26 AM »
I am not looking forward to seeing them in the BET or next year though.

If we do play them in the BET, any bets on what the game clock will be at the first time TyKo gets knocked on his ass? I’m going to guess 18:24 remaining in the first half. It would be sooner, but Soriano will have to catch him first.

And I suspect that’s exactly the way TyKo would want it. He knows there’s a price for trash talking and he’s willing to pay it. He also happens to know that he’ll extract an even greater price from SJU for knocking him on his ass.  I’m gonna miss that kid. I really hope we get another year…but I doubt it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 12:02:10 PM »
I was grateful that Pitino conceded the game earlier than most coaches would trailing by 8 with a minute left. The day was long enough without the last minute of game time taking 15 minutes of real time.

Watching the recording it seemed like he was irate at Jenkins for letting Ross behind him for that layup and when they turned the ball over after he used his last timeout he was more interested in jawing at the referee than having his team take the fouls needed to put MU in the bonus.

After what happened in the last minute of last year’s SJU game I wasn’t breathing easy until they let Kolek dribble off 25 seconds before launching the final dagger.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 12:04:01 PM »
If we do play them in the BET, any bets on what the game clock will be at the first time TyKo gets knocked on his ass? I’m going to guess 18:24 remaining in the first half. It would be sooner, but Soriano will have to catch him first.

And I suspect that’s exactly the way TyKo would want it. He knows there’s a price for trash talking and he’s willing to pay it. He also happens to know that he’ll extract an even greater price from SJU for knocking him on his ass.  I’m gonna miss that kid. I really hope we get another year…but I doubt it.

If MU plays St. John’s? Don’t they play them every year? It sure seems that way.

I’d be happy to see MU play someone else this year. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 12:25:15 PM »

Assuming he can recruit at a necessary level (but word out of NYC is pretty favorable already with his inroads) I find it hard to believe they won't be a regular top 5 team in the BE.  Shaka, Pitino, Hurley, Sean Miller, and McDermott (assuming he stays) will be a vicious upper echelon of a conference.

Cooley is a very good coach but he's got an absurd amount of catch up to do in DC.  And Nova is a massive question mark with Neptune.  I still lean towards them looking for a new coach by 2026.  I see people saying stuff about Wright taking awhile to get going, but he took over a program that hadn't won an NCAA game in 6 years.  Not one that had 3 FFs, 2 National titles, and another S16 in their last 6 postseasons (excluding the COVID year obviously)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 12:27:42 PM by JWags85 »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 12:32:03 PM »
I am.  New season, new teams, new challenges.  To become the best, you need to beat the best.

I was being only half serious. I was basically saying that a Pitino coached team can never be taken lightly, and that in both matchups so far, we really had to work hard for the W. If we meet in the BET, once again a W would be hard won. Agree that beating tough teams makes us better and tested for the Big Dance.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 02:08:38 PM »
I was grateful that Pitino conceded the game earlier than most coaches would trailing by 8 with a minute left. The day was long enough without the last minute of game time taking 15 minutes of real time.

Watching the recording it seemed like he was irate at Jenkins for letting Ross behind him for that layup and when they turned the ball over after he used his last timeout he was more interested in jawing at the referee than having his team take the fouls needed to put MU in the bonus.

After what happened in the last minute of last year’s SJU game I wasn’t breathing easy until they let Kolek dribble off 25 seconds before launching the final dagger.

I mentioned this in another thread. That was really weird. You HAVE to foul Kolek immediately - and that would have only been their 6th foul, so they would have had to foul immediately after the ensuing inbounds.

Long shot they could have won? Sure. But the very last time they played us, we almost choked away the game at the FT line. So this was pretty much coaching malpractice to just let Kolek dribble almost the entire clock down. Bizarre.

Pitino has forgotten more about basketball than any of us will ever know ... but, with a minute to play, he also apparently forgot to try to win last night's game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 02:12:50 PM »
Pitino definitely lost it in the final minute. I felt bad for Jenkins, who had a great game, being yelled at by his coach that vehemently.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 02:37:03 PM »
Pitino definitely lost it in the final minute. I felt bad for Jenkins, who had a great game, being yelled at by his coach that vehemently.

Maybe Shaka felt bad for him too, sang the kid a lot of praises in the presser.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 03:20:40 PM »
He’ll be fine. He’s played for Pitino for a long time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 03:38:52 PM »

Little Ricky is winless in Fiserv

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2024, 03:42:51 PM »
Wow we have chicken shiit fans.  Why?  We beat them twice twice year.  Don’t believe in Shaka’s recruiting?   Don’t believe in Shaka’s coaching?    I would think that St John’s would not want to play Marquette.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2024, 03:47:01 PM »
Wow we have chicken shiit fans.  Why?  We beat them twice twice year.  Don’t believe in Shaka’s recruiting?   Don’t believe in Shaka’s coaching?    I would think that St John’s would not want to play Marquette.

I think you should overreact a little more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2024, 04:02:50 PM »
I can spot long haul COLE. 

I think you should overreact a little more.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2024, 04:40:50 PM »

Guess you missed my reply to Tower. "I was being only half serious". No problem with Shaka or our team. Just acknowledging that Pitino has done well in his first season and will be a handful next year. Guess my exact words triggered your response. I get that. Now take a deep breath. It's just a manner of speaking, nothing more.

Mea Culpa. I did not explain myself well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 05:00:46 PM by Scoop Snoop »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2024, 04:49:03 PM »
I was being only half serious. I was basically saying that a Pitino coached team can never be taken lightly, and that in both matchups so far, we really had to work hard for the W. If we meet in the BET, once again a W would be hard won. Agree that beating tough teams makes us better and tested for the Big Dance.
They can't.  He is an all timer.   Which is what makes playing against and beating his teams sweeter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2024, 04:58:59 PM »
They can't.  He is an all timer.   Which is what makes playing against and beating his teams sweeter.

Yep. And beating UCONN 2 out of 3 last season was also sweet. No one else took down the national champs twice!

An even tougher BE will make Marquette even better prepared for the Big Dance. Trial by fire. I want the BE to be considered the #1 conference, not the Big 12.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2024, 05:01:12 PM »
Yep. And beating UCONN 2 out of 3 last season was also sweet. No one else took down the national champs twice!

Xavier did. In only two games too.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2024, 05:31:18 PM »

Jenkins brought it on himself. Pitino told him something and he mouthed off back to Pitino. He kept doing it until Pitino brought out the “that’s enough” father pointer finger. Pitino was going to let it gone but Jenkins kept going.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2024, 07:35:50 PM »
Xavier did. In only two games too.

Well crap! I forgot about that. "Thanks" for reminding me.  :D

The win over UCONN n the BET was so sweet. Let's do that again next Saturday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2024, 10:04:52 PM »
Jenkins brought it on himself. Pitino told him something and he mouthed off back to Pitino. He kept doing it until Pitino brought out the “that’s enough” father pointer finger. Pitino was going to let it gone but Jenkins kept going.

Sorry, but Pitino should have walked away and screamed at someone in the game to foul Kolek.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington