Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was There A League Wide Memo…  (Read 7684 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Was There A League Wide Memo…
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 10:12:01 AM »
Lettin' 'em play! 

While I do appreciate watching a better flow of the game with fewer whistles, those linked examples were pretty blatant and must be called.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 10:37:34 AM »
Lettin' 'em play! 

While I do appreciate watching a better flow of the game with fewer whistles, those linked examples were pretty blatant and must be called.

I agree about the flow, but the shocking thing to me all year has been the amount of times there has been heavy contact on drives that goes uncalled. Happens to Tyler all the time, but it has been pretty much across the board both ways. I have no problem with not calling the touch fouls 30 feet out like they used to all the time a few years ago, but heavy contact on drives should be called. At this point you are doing yourself a disservice not hitting guys on drives until they show they are going to call it.

Back to the Kolek point, there have been several times where I think he just goes in hard knowing he is going to draw uncalled contact so he has gone in with the intention to attract the attention (and contact) and dish it off. The great pass to Chase/Stevie the other day and the Seton Hall game in general were examples of that. He got rocked on the pass to Stevie.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 10:10:16 PM »
I chuckle after most Big East games MU will dominate the other team in paint points yet consistently (esp on the road) have more fouls called.

Seems like they will call a touch foul 25 feet from basket but allow a clobberring on a drive to the hoop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 10:20:52 PM »
I chuckle after most Big East games MU will dominate the other team in paint points yet consistently (esp on the road) have more fouls called.

Seems like they will call a touch foul 25 feet from basket but allow a clobberring on a drive to the hoop.

Certainly was the case tonight.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 10:40:40 PM »
Matt Potter sucks.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 10:51:35 PM »
Thankfully we havent see Mr High Knees Ref in a long time . Seems like he is not doing Big East games

I know Coach Hurley was not w big fan of his
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 11:05:41 PM »
Thankfully we havent see Mr High Knees Ref in a long time . Seems like he is not doing Big East games

He did our DePaul game. But he’s a whore and will ref whoever will have him. Night after DePaul (which was an 8:00 tip) he was reffing in Berkeley.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 11:23:21 PM »

It seems he's doing mostly little 10 games this year.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 11:54:40 PM »
Even Thad Matta was telling his players in the huddle, “They’re not calling any fouls tonight!”  That was when the foul discrepancy was 6 for MU and 2 for Butler.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 05:21:19 AM »
The motion offense finesse teams have the lowest offensive FTRs in conference play (Creighton, MU, Nova) while the Bully Ball offensive teams have the highest (as measured by FTR). MU's offense has one of the lowest FTR in the country at #343.

UConn has one of the highest (2nd offensive Ftr in conference behind Providence) but they also have one of the highest defensive FTR.

Expect a foul fest Saturday. MU will need its bench.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:52:51 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 06:24:54 AM »
The motion offense finesse teams have the lowest offensive FTRs in conference play (Creighton, MU, Nova) while the Bully Ball offensive teams have the highest (as measured by FTR). MU's offense has one of the lowest FTR in the country at #343.

UConn has one of the highest (2nd offensive Ftr in conference behind Providence) but the also have one of the highest defensive FTR.

Expect a foul fest Saturday. MU will need its bench.

I love it when we play 5 against 8.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 07:18:18 AM »
Let’s face it, the Big East has adopted the Big 10 officiating philosophy: “No Blood, No Foul!”

It’s that simple.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 07:58:18 AM »

See this is what drives me nuts about the "blame the refs" narrative here on Scoop.

These are two different types fouls.  Marquette got called for a lot of reaches. Those are called all over the court in every level of basketball. They are also the most preventable by a long shot, which is why so many coaches just preach to never reach.

OTOH, body fouls are called differently from game to game at all levels. Youth, high school, college and NBA. And that's because its exceedingly difficult to determine who got to what space first. So as long as they are calling the bumping fouls equally, it's not a problem.

Yep. This is the Big East. It has always been this way.

Let’s face it, the Big East has adopted the Big 10 officiating philosophy: “No Blood, No Foul!”

Did you never watch BE basketball in the 1980s?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 08:38:34 AM »

It’s that simple.

Did you never watch BE basketball in the 1980s?

And to think, for a brief time the Big East allowed six fouls.

I've always felt that Big East Basketball (TM) had the reputation for the loosest officiating.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2024, 08:40:27 AM »
How is the 1980's Big East officiating at all relevant in the year of our Lord 2024?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 08:44:40 AM »
How is the 1980's Big East officiating at all relevant in the year of our Lord 2024?

It isn't. But dgies said they "adopted Big Ten officiating." They didn't. The BE has pretty much always been this way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 08:55:47 AM »

Other than introducing the three point shot, the shot clock, widening the lane, eliminating the five second hash mark rule, allowing just two officials per game, and dunking was still a new thing, it is the same game.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 06:33:23 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2024, 08:10:23 PM »
Anyone want to guess what ref ejected him?

https://x.com/cbbonfox/status/1758280316081598622?s=46&t=jxqs74xjrj0YOEifH9UtCw

Breeding. To be fair (as he ejected Jop in South Bend), the rule states any nutter check is an ejection.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2024, 08:40:32 PM »

See this is what drives me nuts about the "blame the refs" narrative here on Scoop.

These are two different types fouls.  Marquette got called for a lot of reaches. Those are called all over the court in every level of basketball. They are also the most preventable by a long shot, which is why so many coaches just preach to never reach.

OTOH, body fouls are called differently from game to game at all levels. Youth, high school, college and NBA. And that's because its exceedingly difficult to determine who got to what space first. So as long as they are calling the bumping fouls equally, it's not a problem.

I would buy this if it was body fouls.  But we have seen arm and head shots near the basket not get called either. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 09:31:28 AM »
I missed that one. It was pretty bad. Thanks for posting.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 09:46:52 AM »
That was one of 5 or 6 tackles by Ticket.  He had a push on Jop during a rebound that was equal or greater to that.

feedback