'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyler Swift-ly returning to AA form  (Read 7575 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Tyler Swift-ly returning to AA form
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2024, 09:52:36 PM »
Was at the game - one of the best crowds I’ve been a part of. Credit to the players, especially TKO, but the home court was a big part of this one.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2024, 09:58:05 PM »
Was at the game - one of the best crowds I’ve been a part of. Credit to the players, especially TKO, but the home court was a big part of this one.
Agreed….so appreciative to be in that building tonight.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2024, 10:34:33 PM »
We’ve been scouted. We’re doomed. 

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2024, 10:42:27 PM »
This group is special.  We need to enjoy every moment with Kolek and Oso this year.  It’s just amazing how far we’ve come from a few years ago.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2024, 10:44:29 PM »
Loudest I’ve ever heard the Fiserv. What a game

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2024, 10:51:31 PM »
This group is special.  We need to enjoy every moment with Kolek and Oso this year.  It’s just amazing how far we’ve come from a few years ago.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought the top-10, national contender days were gone forever. But they are back and unlike the Crean & Buzz years, they are here to stay as long as Shaka stays.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2024, 10:54:43 PM »

Lol. 

I also think having  this particular game, and flipping a 15 pt deficit, is a major positive for Tues and Saturday. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2024, 11:23:30 PM »

We were. Then we started making threes. This offense is impossible to stop if we're hitting threes. Only hope is to outscore us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2024, 12:15:07 AM »
Loudest I’ve ever heard the Fiserv. What a game

It was defeaning at times!  Loved it. I’m exhausted lol.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2024, 12:31:09 AM »
We were. Then we started making threes. This offense is impossible to stop if we're hitting threes. Only hope is to outscore us.

That’s not scouting.  Or if it is that’s the scout on every college team in America. It’s a bunch of crap.  It’s a non story and a complete over analysis by people who want to look smart. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2024, 03:56:08 AM »
That’s not scouting.  Or if it is that’s the scout on every college team in America. It’s a bunch of crap.  It’s a non story and a complete over analysis by people who want to look smart.

Of course it's scouting. And no, it's not the scout on every college team in America. It is a scout for a team that starts a non-shooter at the five, has taken literally 1 long 2 all season, has at least one guard on the floor at all times who at the time couldn't hit water from a boat (Stevie, Chase, Sean, Tre), and is elite at scoring at the rim. It's honestly not a hard scout. Try to take away twos by clogging up and being physical in the lane (a tad more nuanced than that but that's the general thesis).

And it worked for a five-game stretch. It's not a hard strategy to beat, just make your threes (or get the ref to call fouls but that's not happening in the BEast). But we couldn't shoot our way out of it.

Then we played Villanova whose coach engaged in malpractice and tried to run us off the three point line which resulted in a historic 2P performance. Then we played a competent coach in Ricky P and in the first half we still couldn't shoot and we were down 6 at the half.

Then Shaka had the cajones to draw up a play to get Joplin a three-pointer to start the second half when we had gone 0-12 in the first half. Joplin nailed it and since then we've been shooting 45.7% from three. And wouldn't you know it, since then, we have shot 53.1% or better from 2 in every game.

That's the thing about scouts. They have an expiration date. Players improve and regress, coaches adjust, teams come together and fall apart. We changed, so the scout changes. Right now, I don't know how I would defend this team effectively, it's that good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2024, 06:55:41 AM »
Ok.  Fair enough.  It just seems too simplistic.  Almost like getting lucky a team is going through a bad stretch and not a strategy.

Great win yesterday.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2024, 07:13:02 AM »
Ok.  Fair enough.  It just seems too simplistic.  Almost like getting lucky a team is going through a bad stretch and not a strategy.

Great win yesterday.
Sometimes it’s difficult to tell one from the other. Thankfully we’re hitting shots now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2024, 07:17:44 AM »
Part of the reason we are shooting better isn't just luck. We have been better at getting the ball inside, then getting it out. Versus passing the ball around the outside. Its always easier to shoot when you penetrate the lane first. The defense breaks down...the shooter is already facing the basket when they get the pass...  IMO that is what we are seeing here.

Its been mentioned that we have actually been playing better since the Sean Jones injury because the ball is more in Tyler's hands now. And that could actually be it. Tyler is a better scorer obviously, but he is also a way better passer. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2024, 07:18:07 AM »
Sometimes it is that simple.   Same team, same offense, same 3s.   

Coach Smart, in his Thursday media availability after bei g asked about what.has changed about the team's 3 pt shooting,  called 3 pt shooting percentage the most volatile of statistics and one of the most important.    Give it a listen.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2024, 07:36:45 AM »

Coach Smart, in his Thursday media availability after bei g asked about what.has changed about the team's 3 pt shooting,  called 3 pt shooting percentage the most volatile of statistics and one of the most important.    Give it a listen.

Most of the threes we took yesterday were rhythm spot J's.  That makes a big difference.  But Mitchell in particular has been much better with the corner triple since a rough beginning of the season.  Chase is also starting to knock them down. 

As for Kam is seems to me he's unnecessarily falling down a lot after taking his 3's.  I'm a little curious about this although he drained them at Gtown.  My also slight nitpick is that we bite too much on the shot fake on the defensive end.  It's hurt us at times defensively and I think we need to be cognizant of it in general.  What happens is it leads to an easy paint drive and kick as well as guys scrambling all over the place. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2024, 07:41:56 AM »
As a side note it's great when Tyler goes off but we're most dangerous if all of our guys are draining buckets, our defense leads to offense........which ultimate leads to destroying our opponents/darkness. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2024, 07:45:08 AM »
Yes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2024, 08:08:44 AM »

Yup and he talked about how what he looks at more is how often/consistently our passes to 3 point shooters are in the pocket so they can efficiently catch and shoot.

Which I think is aligned with what Sultan said. Typically its easier to hit someone on the money after drawing the D into the paint as the shooter is lined up perfectly facing the oop. Swinging the ball around the perimiter making the extra pass can be pretty but a lot of times the player or ball are not lined up perfectly that way.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2024, 08:11:01 AM »
Most of the threes we took yesterday were rhythm spot J's.  That makes a big difference.  But Mitchell in particular has been much better with the corner triple since a rough beginning of the season.  Chase is also starting to knock them down. 

As for Kam is seems to me he's unnecessarily falling down a lot after taking his 3's.  I'm a little curious about this although he drained them at Gtown.  My also slight nitpick is that we bite too much on the shot fake on the defensive end.  It's hurt us at times defensively and I think we need to be cognizant of it in general.  What happens is it leads to an easy paint drive and kick as well as guys scrambling all over the place.

Chase has way too fluid a stroke imo for him to have been low-mid 20s from 3. Hopefully he keeps his 33% the rest of the way at worst or even builds on that. Cause hes got the form to hit 1/3 minimum.

His good free throw shooting has also been a solid indicator of his potential.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2024, 08:32:32 AM »
Of course it's scouting. And no, it's not the scout on every college team in America. It is a scout for a team that starts a non-shooter at the five, has taken literally 1 long 2 all season, has at least one guard on the floor at all times who at the time couldn't hit water from a boat (Stevie, Chase, Sean, Tre), and is elite at scoring at the rim. It's honestly not a hard scout. Try to take away twos by clogging up and being physical in the lane (a tad more nuanced than that but that's the general thesis).

And it worked for a five-game stretch. It's not a hard strategy to beat, just make your threes (or get the ref to call fouls but that's not happening in the BEast). But we couldn't shoot our way out of it.

Then we played Villanova whose coach engaged in malpractice and tried to run us off the three point line which resulted in a historic 2P performance. Then we played a competent coach in Ricky P and in the first half we still couldn't shoot and we were down 6 at the half.

Then Shaka had the cajones to draw up a play to get Joplin a three-pointer to start the second half when we had gone 0-12 in the first half. Joplin nailed it and since then we've been shooting 45.7% from three. And wouldn't you know it, since then, we have shot 53.1% or better from 2 in every game.

That's the thing about scouts. They have an expiration date. Players improve and regress, coaches adjust, teams come together and fall apart. We changed, so the scout changes. Right now, I don't know how I would defend this team effectively, it's that good.

This.  I don't know why Scoop can't realize that opposing coaches get paid a lot of money too.  MU was down 15 points at home in the 1st half against the Pitino matchup zone and MU adjusted out of half.  Tyler's trey to end the half may have been the biggest basket of the game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2024, 08:38:49 AM »
This.  I don't know why Scoop can't realize that opposing coaches get paid a lot of money too.  MU was down 15 points at home in the 1st half against the Pitino matchup zone and MU adjusted out of half.  Tyler's trey to end the half may have been the biggest basket of the game.

Opposing coaches shouldn’t be able to have a game plan for Marquette.  That’s on Shaka and his team to annihilate any plan with focus and attackerness
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2024, 08:58:11 AM »
As a side note it's great when Tyler goes off but we're most dangerous if all of our guys are draining buckets, our defense leads to offense........which ultimate leads to destroying our opponents/darkness.

Yes, but it’s great to have a hero that can take over a game at the exact time you need him to.

That’s exactly what he did yesterday, and he will likely have to do it again before he’s gone. Truly special.
He cemented himself amongst the greats in my eyes yesterday, all that’s left is that April run.

Marquettes got a few of those guys too. See Kam Jones in the first NCAA game last season.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2024, 09:03:16 AM »
Hey, I just realized that nobody fouled a St John’s shooter taking a three! I feel like this has been one of the few times that has not happened recently.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2024, 09:04:08 AM »
Doctor V

TK has taken things to the next level the past month and looks beyond dialed in. I would not bet against him or the team having a deep run in the tournament. He looks like a guy that fully understands how important a deep run would mean to his legacy.

MU has an unreal basketball history and being an all time great is not an easy feat. He has a chance to put himself in a very lofty place in MU history with a big tournament.