Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

When should MU give Shaka a Lifetime Contract Extension?

Now! I'm a shakaholic.
42 (26.3%)
After he shows us what he can do with TK and Oso gone - 5 years to judge
31 (19.4%)
When we cut down the big nets.
14 (8.8%)
After multiple FF or better seasons.
16 (10%)
When MU achieves bona fide Blue Blood status.
13 (8.1%)
Never
44 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Author Topic: Lifetime Contract Extension  (Read 3169 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Lifetime Contract Extension
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2024, 11:47:17 AM »
I miss him.   Always good for a belly laugh.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2024, 11:52:39 AM »
The -"now, Shakaholic" option was pretty much just to give the full range, but I'm wondering about the "neverers" - if we succeed in becoming a blue blood (however you define it) don't you want/he deserves a lifetime contract?

And I know they don't mean anything at the end of the day, but they must mean enough to K and Self and Calipari for them to be a thing - three programs whose success I wouldn't mind having (but the "Shaka-way).

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Viper

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2024, 01:01:20 PM »
I don't even think Bucky Badger is as obsessed with UW as much as you are.
G A R D !!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2024, 01:26:25 PM »
The -"now, Shakaholic" option was pretty much just to give the full range, but I'm wondering about the "neverers" - if we succeed in becoming a blue blood (however you define it) don't you want/he deserves a lifetime contract?

And I know they don't mean anything at the end of the day, but they must mean enough to K and Self and Calipari for them to be a thing - three programs whose success I wouldn't mind having (but the "Shaka-way).

I think if not all, almost all coaches have very healthy egos, but Shaka's easily fits into the Al and probably a decent sized room as well. Calipari and K? Theirs won't fit into the largest FB stadiums. As I wrote in my earlier post, my guess is that there are a number of things more important to Shaka, and some of those have nothing to do with basketball.

I guess what I am asking is " Does a lifetime contract mean much to Shaka?" I think not.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 01:28:13 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2024, 01:41:46 PM »
There was wisdom behind it. Get though an entire recruiting cycle,  make sure a coach can win with their own players not just the last coach's players. Things are different now. Slick Rick chased off all but one Johnnie and completely replaced the roster in a single offseason. Insta transfers means you can rebuild a lot quicker

Maybe and sometimes sure. My guess is the more important factor was it fit the narrative of the day.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2024, 06:24:46 PM »
Maybe and sometimes sure. My guess is the more important factor was it fit the narrative of the day.

Bingo.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2024, 06:43:33 PM »
In general, lifetime contracts aren’t great for either party.

Or for fans. Honeymooned end.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2024, 06:47:20 PM »
NolongerWarriors is on Line 1...

He doesn’t count … and, sadly, he wasn’t the only one who called for Shaka’s job after Year 1.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2024, 08:59:42 PM »
Hypothetical. And frankly, quite likely one>>>

After leading Marquette to the Sweet Sixteen, with their eyes set on a Final Four……

Shaka Smart is being mentioned as a successor to the recently fired John Calipari at Kentucky and Mike Woodson at Indiana.

If I’m anyone who is anyone at Marquette, I’m drawing something up as we speak. If only to quiet the carousel speculation, which can be a serious distraction for any team, let alone one capable of winning an NCAA title.

I really really hope Shaka is very happy here.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2024, 09:04:29 PM »
Building a new house in Fox Point, l can not say forever, but he has a sweet deal here!  Who wants the pressure at both of those schools, he is the main man here with no football!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2024, 09:09:57 PM »
Hypothetical. And frankly, quite likely one>>>

After leading Marquette to the Sweet Sixteen, with their eyes set on a Final Four……

Shaka Smart is being mentioned as a successor to the recently fired John Calipari at Kentucky and Mike Woodson at Indiana.

If I’m anyone who is anyone at Marquette, I’m drawing something up as we speak. If only to quiet the carousel speculation, which can be a serious distraction for any team, let alone one capable of winning an NCAA title.

I really really hope Shaka is very happy here.

I totally agree that if Kentucky and/or Indiana have vacancies, they could reach out to Shaka. I also am not naive enough to think that Shaka is already committed to stay at MU for the rest of his career.

At the same time, I believe that Shaka's Texas experience is still fresh in his mind. He was attacked endlessly, even by a fan base more focused on football. My gut says he realizes that entering the hellscape of a blueblood like UK or IU is not what he wants.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2024, 09:17:42 PM »
GoFast

Shaka had delivered at the highest level and I appreciate every game he has coached at MU. If he decides to go elsewhere I am good with that. He proved that MU is a fxxkin basketball school and can compete at the highest level nationally.

I am not going to spend one second worrying about his tenure at MU. I am going to enjoy watching the best basketball that I have seen since I was in grade school.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2024, 09:21:25 PM »
Goose.
Well-said.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2024, 08:49:04 PM »
Lifetime contracts are stupid. Am I seeing this right that Cal has a 33 mil buy-out?