Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Alternating possession  (Read 771 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Alternating possession
« on: January 30, 2024, 09:45:31 PM »
There was jump ball.
Nova keeps possession.
There was a foul on MU on the ensuing possession…..therefore the possession arrow doesn’t change and if there would have been another jump ball, Nova would have received possession…..again?
What? Never heard that one before.

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Alternating possession
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 09:48:03 PM »
Had no idea that was a rule and I watch like 4 hours of basketball every night.

AlTruda94

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 09:58:56 PM »
I think it was because the foul on Norman was a dead ball foul before the ball was inbounded and therefore no official change of possession for the arrow to switch.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 10:09:21 PM »
Just be happy Breeding didn’t give them four shots and the ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 04:35:16 AM »
I think it was because the foul on Norman was a dead ball foul before the ball was inbounded and therefore no official change of possession for the arrow to switch.

That is correct. Had that foul occurred at any point after the inbound the arrow would have switched.

If you watch carefully, that is my official scorers don’t switch the arrow until it has inbounded. Or they shouldn’t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 05:04:18 AM »
That is correct. Had that foul occurred at any point after the inbound the arrow would have switched.

If you watch carefully, that is my official scorers don’t switch the arrow until it has inbounded. Or they shouldn’t.

So if a team is meant to get the ball via jump ball, but then throw the ensuing inbounds pass out of bounds, do they keep the possession arrow for the next jump ball?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 05:19:58 AM »
So if a team is meant to get the ball via jump ball, but then throw the ensuing inbounds pass out of bounds, do they keep the possession arrow for the next jump ball?

Yes. The change in possession does not occur until it is inbounded. For instance if it would thrown off someone before going out of bounds, that still counts and the arrow switches.

I think the only exception to this is if the team inbounding the ball makes an inbounds violation - like stepping over the line.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow